Éditions L'Oiseau-Lyre resurrected!

Started by Que, October 28, 2007, 01:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Does anyone know about Decca relaunching L'Oiseau-Lyre?

I discovered pre-orders on ten old issues of this successful early music label at MDT!
Could it be that the idiots at Decca/Universal finally have come to their senses? :o
It almost sounds to good to be true. 8)

Q

rubio

Any must-haves among these first reissues?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Que

Quote from: rubio on October 28, 2007, 02:25:38 AM
Any must-haves among these first reissues?

Of these I will definitely take the first pictured: the Bach harpsichord concertos with Rousset and Hogwood. I never got them all and also missed out on the later reissue in a box set (which left out the violin concerto, arrangements and a original Vivaldi version).

Q

The new erato

The only one of these I know is the Dowland songs, and which I can recommend.

Will probaly buy a few of these myself (Geminiani, Muffat)

Harry

Yes I knew that! JPC announced it in their magazine, and published the first 10 re issues. Good news huh? ;D
There is not a single weak issue here, they are all good, so I ordered them all, and sell or give away the Elpee's, I still had.

prémont

I owned since long time the Bach harpsichord concertos, the Carmina Burana, the Dowland and the Prætorius discs. All recommendable. Jaap Schröder is a bit rough sounding here as always, but Rousset saves the disc.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Lethevich

YESYESYES! OJPFAPPFOPOAFIFIIAF!

The potential that their Dufay complete secular music (among other things) could be available again has just made my day :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

alkan

My dream would be that the Oiseau Lyre version of Haydn symphonies 94, 104 and (maybe) 101 arranged for a chamber ensemble  (SQ plus flute I think) is republished.          It is played by members of the AAM and was published years ago in the OL catalog.    It has been unavailable for a long time .......     
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

FideLeo

Quote from: alkan on October 29, 2007, 02:55:17 AM
My dream would be that the Oiseau Lyre version of Haydn symphonies 94, 104 and (maybe) 101 arranged for a chamber ensemble  (SQ plus flute I think) is republished.          It is played by members of the AAM and was published years ago in the OL catalog.    It has been unavailable for a long time .......     

Salomon's arrangements of Haydn London symphonies are actually for vn, vc, fp (fortepiano trio) and fl.
Florilegium has done several (all?) of them for Channel Classics.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

alkan

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!
I would not have found this recording without your help.
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

FideLeo

Quote from: alkan on November 05, 2007, 12:30:42 AM
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!
I would not have found this recording without your help.

You are welcomed, as I love this music as well.  BTW, Hummel did some Mozart symphony
transcriptions using exactly the same instrumentation.  I have an MdG recording of the 38
and 41 (L'Ottocento ensemble/Robert Hill) which has very good performances if the traverso is
balanced a bit too much to the fore and can sound piercingly loud from time to time.
I remember seeing arrangements for Haffner and Linz symphonies on recorded somewhere
but the information eludes me at the moment.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Valentino

So we get good playing on the original label again. Good.
Apart from that, it doesn't really matter to me that my Mozart Coronation Mass with Kirkby and Hogwood has a Decca logo on the cover.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Que

More new issues!

Q

Harry

Well no buying here for me, have them all....... ;D

Que

I missed a few. But I guess, this must be it - for now!
Any recommendations? :) That 12CD Dowland set with Rooley is looking tasty... :D

Q

prémont

Que, I don´t know how much you appreciate the medieval and renaissance repertoire, but concerning the performances the "Pilgrimage to Santiago" and "Ce diabolic chant" are hard to beat.
As a recorder fan I have no problems with "La Spagna" , but I have to admit that a pure recorder rendering of the music in question sometimes makes a somewhat abstract effect, even if probably authentic in the proper sense of the word (i.e. it may well have been played in this way too in earlier times).
The Dowland set is a must, even if you later may want other recordings of individual works.
The Four seasons are played with much entusiasm and spirit, indeed my preferred recording, but if you already own several fine recordings of this work, I am not sure if it pays sufficiently to acquire the Hogwood too.
The Bach/Hogwood 3-4 Harpsichord concertos is just as mandatory as the other CDs in this series.
I don´t know the Gabrieli/Parrott, but I own another CD with similar music by the same performers on Archiv making me consider the Oiseau Lyre CD seriously.
The rest I don´t know.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 02:01:37 AM
Que, I don´t know how much you appreciate the medieval and renaissance repertoire, but concerning the performances the "Pilgrimage to Santiago" and "Ce diabolic chant" are hard to beat.
As a recorder fan I have no problems with "La Spagna" , but I have to admit that a pure recorder rendering of the music in question sometimes makes a somewhat abstract effect, even if probably authentic in the proper sense of the word (i.e. it may well have been played in this way too in earlier times).
The Dowland set is a must, even if you later may want other recordings of individual works.
The Four seasons are played with much entusiasm and spirit, indeed my preferred recording, but if you already own several fine recordings of this work, I am not sure if it pays sufficiently to acquire the Hogwood too.
The Bach/Hogwood 3-4 Harpsichord concertos is just as mandatory as the other CDs in this series.
I don´t know the Gabrieli/Parrott, but I own another CD with similar music by the same performers on Archiv making me consider the Oiseau Lyre CD seriously.
The rest I don´t know.

Premont, thanks a bundle!  :)
I already have the Bach/Hogwood/Rousset 3-4 harpsichords, and heartily second your rec.
And yes, I'm interested in the Medieval and Renaissance stuff. Very much want to get into music from those periods, fortunately there are currently some nice threads going on. Will these keep in mind.
I thought as much on the Dowland! Let's hope it will surface on Amazon for a nice bargain price! ;D (€83 at jpc is still a bit too hefty for me..)

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on November 18, 2007, 02:18:04 AM
I thought as much on the Dowland! Let's hope it will surface on Amazon for a nice bargain price! ;D (€83 at jpc is still a bit too hefty for me..)
Q

Well, I didn´t realize it was that expensive (I got mine maybe ten years ago).
Amazon UK lists it a tad cheaper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Collected-Works-John/dp/B000004CYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195385679&sr=1-1
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: premont on November 18, 2007, 02:37:24 AM
Well, I didn´t realize it was that expensive (I got mine maybe ten years ago).
Amazon UK lists it a tad cheaper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowland-Collected-Works-John/dp/B000004CYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195385679&sr=1-1

Thanks! :)
Just checked US-Amazon as well: that would - with current exchange rates - amount to €42 including p&p!
Much better! ;D Yet another temptation.... ::)

Q

Renfield

Many of the above discs I've recently noticed are available from my local record store; so anything in there for the less-hardcore "traditionalist"? ;D

Or should I pass, for now? :)