Vibrato for Mozart?

Started by 12tone., November 04, 2007, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

I have the box set of Quintets and such from the Complete Mozart collection on Phillips (I don't have the full set).  I was listening to the Flute Quartet in D, K285 -- the middle movement with all the pluckings for the string parts -- and noticed how much vibrato was going on with the flute.  The flute, as it held notes and played notes it warbled.  Is this okay?  I think I've read people here complain about singers singing works from the classical era using vibrato and how bad it sounds.  I particularly like no vibrato but a strict non-warbly note.

So is this okay to have the flute bounce around this much? 

It's played but the Grumiaux Trio with William Bennett on flute.

mikkeljs

If I´m not wrong, Mozart hated vibrato. That´s what he claims in a letter, but I don´t know how seriously it was meant.

jochanaan

In one of his letters, Mozart talks about a singer who had "the habit of making his voice tremble at times, turning a note that should be sustained into distinct quarter or even eighth notes, and this I could never endure in him.  And really it is a detestable habit and one which is quite contrary to nature.  The human voice vibrates naturally--but in its own way--and only to such a degree that the effect is beautiful.  Such is the nature of the voice; and people imitate it not only on wind instruments, but on string instruments too, and even the clavier.  But the moment the proper limit is overstepped, it is no longer beautiful--because it is contrary to nature."  --quoted in Harold C. Schonberg, The Great Conductors

This convinces me that Mozart liked a normal, healthy vibrato, but not an uncontrolled or artificial tremolo.
Imagination + discipline = creativity