Bartok's piano concertos

Started by Expresso, November 05, 2007, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expresso

Which recordings would you recommend?

I'm currently considering on choosing between Anda/Fricsay, Pollini/Bohm, Barenboim/Boulez and Kovacevich/Davis.

Todd

The Kocsis / Fischer set on Philips, if you can find it, is the best all-rounder.  The Anda / Fricsay is excellent, and would be my first choice of the sets you mention.  Remember, neither the Pollini nor Barenboim are complete - each is missing one concerto. 

Others to consider are Schiff / Fischer and Sandor / Gielen (hard left-right stereo, but superb otherwise).  The recent Boulez disc cited above is of variable quality, though the Andsnes is top-flight. 

Avoid Kovacevich.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bwv 1080

I am partial to the Sandor set on Sony

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Todd on November 05, 2007, 05:53:22 AM
The Kocsis / Fischer set on Philips, if you can find it, is the best all-rounder.  The Anda / Fricsay is excellent, and would be my first choice of the sets you mention. 

I would agree. These are the two sets I've kept.

Expresso

Thanks for the recommendations.
After listening to some samples, i think i prefer the more "savage" approach from Abbado or Boulez (both of his recordings) than the romantic approach of other conductors.

Dancing Divertimentian

Kocsis/Fischer on Philips. OOP but occasionally pops up on Amazon.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

MishaK

Quote from: Expresso on November 05, 2007, 05:31:16 AM
Which recordings would you recommend?

Anda would be my first choice, too. If you are considering incomplete sets at all, I would get this one:

Mark

I've heard only Donohoe under Rattle with the CBSO on EMI. Not bad sound, but that's about all I can say.

BorisG

Marcel

MDL

Quote from: Mark on November 05, 2007, 08:24:21 AM
I've heard only Donohoe under Rattle with the CBSO on EMI. Not bad sound, but that's about all I can say.

Oh, dear! That's the only recording I've got of the Bartok Piano Concertos. Do you think I need to supplement it? I've heard good things about Anda/Fricsay/DG.

Mark

Quote from: MDL on November 06, 2007, 01:57:35 AM
Oh, dear! That's the only recording I've got of the Bartok Piano Concertos. Do you think I need to supplement it? I've heard good things about Anda/Fricsay/DG.

Hard to answer this ... I need to hear others in order to compare. :-\

prémont

Anda and Fricsay are hard to beat as to poetry and athmosphere.
My second choice would be the noble Sandor and preferably his first Vox recording from the early 1960es, available in a cheap Vox 2CD box coupled with a mystical and tense version of the Sonata for two pianos and percussion (with Rolf Reinhardt 2.piano). Sandors second set of the concertos for Sony is also rather good, but a bit more stiff, IMO. Of course the sound of the Sony recording is much better than the sound of the Vox.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

I like Ashkenazy/Solti, but I never see this set mentioned much.  I remember not liking the sound of the orchestra in the Anda/Fricsay set, but I should give it another try.

not edward

Quote from: Todd on November 06, 2007, 04:46:59 AM

He brutalizes the music. 
Seconded. It really isn't a very subtle interptetation, and a lot of the finer details go unremarked. I'd make a similar observation regarding Donohoe/Rattle.

I've got both Anda/Fricsay and Schiff/Fischer and can recommend both for a much more rounded view--still need to get Kocsis/Fischer, though.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

val

I may be repeating myself, but  regarding the first two Concertos, Bishop Kovacevitch and Colin Davis are my favorites. Their version of the 3rd is good, but in that work Annie Fischer with Fricsay are extraordinary.

Anda/Fricsay are, to me, a good second choice.

There is also a splendid version of the first concerto by Serkin and Szell.

Daverz

Quote from: val on November 08, 2007, 12:56:20 AM
3rd is good, but in that work Annie Fischer with Fricsay are extraordinary.

Well, as long as we're singling individual recordings out, Katchen/Kertesz was my imprint recording of the 3rd, one of my favorite recordings of anything.  They are very poetic in the middle movement and thrilling in the outer movements.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).