Vidmantas Bartulis

Started by Maciek, November 05, 2007, 11:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Lithuanian composer, one of my current fascinations. His Requiem may not be terribly original but it's pretty good anyway. Reminds me very much of the one by Roman Maciejewski (has anyone even heard of it?), only it's a bit more modest in size and means. I really love what I've heard of his "I love..." cycle: I love Schubert and I love Berlioz. He's also written a couple of very good piano pieces - extremely simple in terms of material/technique, and yet very, very effective. His music does tend toward the saccharine and simple but I for one don't think he overdoes it...

BachQ

Quote from: Maciek on November 05, 2007, 11:48:39 AM
Reminds me very much of the one by Roman Maciejewski

Interesting. 

Maciek

2 CDs of first-rate music. Very cheap. Why not give it a try?

(There are some random samples, if you follow the link. I've also posted an entire movement somewhere on this forum a few months back - I'm sure you'll find it, if you look hard enough... ;D)

Maciek

I have to confess I did not like this disc as much as I wanted to:

I wonder, though, if the selection of pieces is not at fault here - they are all very similar in vein, rather plaintive and slow, and a bit colorless. The first track is the only exception. Entitled Occasional Get-togethers When We Dance Passionate Dances, Recollect Our Deceased Friends, and Sentimental Reminiscences Come Flooding Back, it is a joyful, preposterously superficial romp, devoid of any "depth". Not very substantial, perhaps, but enjoyable for what it is (a "fun piece"). Still, being the Bartulis fan that I am, I wish I could heartily recommend the CD, and I simply can't... :'(

Guido

I like both I like Schubert and I like Berlioz - are there any other in this series? Are they meant to reflect their respective composers in any meaningful way? They certainly aren't pastiches of the composers' styles.

I agree that he can tend towards the saccharine and it's occasionally too much for me, but there's no question that there's something very good going on here too.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

Quote from: Guido on January 02, 2010, 12:38:48 PM
I like both I like Schubert and I like Berlioz - are there any other in this series?

Are you kidding?

In chronological order:

I like Vivaldi - The Four Seasons for 16 performers-tape (1993) 20'
I Like Tango - La comparsita for tape (1994) 8   '
I Like J.S.Bach. Prelude C Major for pf-perc (1995) 10'
I Like Dance a la Russe for tape (1995) 3'
I Like A.Dvořák for tape (1996) 5'
I Like Tango - A solas for tape (1997) 10'
I Like F.Chopin. Sonata B Maj 2pf-orch (2000) 10'
I Like H.Berlioz (Lointaine) for fl-str orch (2003) 17' [that's the same piece, only different instrumentation]
I Like G.Puccini (Tosca) for ensemble with timp-perc-hrp-str-delay system (2004) 10'
I Like Marlene Dietrich (Lili Marlen) for 2vn-va-vc-pf (2005) 13'

And there's also...
I Don't Like Souvenirs for db-perc (1995) 10'

QuoteAre they meant to reflect their respective composers in any meaningful way? They certainly aren't pastiches of the composers' styles.

No, not pastiches. The two pieces you mention are based on direct quotations from pieces by Berlioz and Schubert (a short phrase played repeatedly very slowly in case of the latter). I think both pieces are absolutely brilliant, and breathtakingly beautiful. I know hardly anyone shares my sentiments, but I don't care - these two are masterpieces anyway, and they'll be acknowledged by posterity, we can be sure of that, because that's what I say! ;D

Lilas Pastia

QuoteI like both I like Schubert and I like Berlioz - are there any other in this series?

There's also Hommage à Ciurlionis, a large scale work (47 mins).

torut

I was searching for Lithuanian composers, and found this music. It is very beautiful, especially the last part.

Bolero. Pavane lacrimae (2010) for cello solo and string orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/v/vTeiVW6x8Iw