Playing Violin in an Orchestra

Started by greg, November 05, 2007, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 06, 2007, 03:11:44 PM
let's see, there was the conductor thing, the music professor thing, and now the violin thing.....

Start out as a violinist, then segue into conducting ........ while teaching composition as an adjunct professor .....

greg

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 06, 2007, 04:45:22 PM
Start out as a violinist, then segue into conducting ........ while teaching composition as an adjunct professor .....
;D
first i'll be rich so i have reliable "income"....... then maybe i'll consider  >:D

Demonic Clarinet

While it may be true it will be almost impossible to get into one of the "top orchestras"...doesn't that apply to everyone? I'd imagine the top orchestras would be really, really, really absurdly hard to get into a top orchestra with ANY instrument. Sure, the top violin players probably have spend all their time practicing since they were six...but so, probably, haven't the clarinet players.

It wouldn't be that absurdly hard to get into a decent one, though. However, at least in the US (I've heard it's not true in Europe), there aren't very many and most of them are having financial issues-pop culture music is really hard to compete with. I don't think it would be a good idea to PLAN to play any instrument professionally. However, that doesn't mean you can't practice a lot with an instrument, maybe play in a non-professional orchestra/band for awhile, and look for any opportunities that pop up.

Actually, if you're in the US, it should be noted that the US Army and National Guard both have bands/orchestras. If you feel like being a soldier on the side (e.g. going through basic training and all that good stuff) they send you to a music school and teach you, basically, how to play at a pretty professional level. They then stick you in one of their various bands.

jochanaan

I wonder.  Greg, you already know guitar, so maybe you have a talent on the violin too--or maybe not.

Four things make the violinist:
1. Tone
2. Technique
3. Intonation
4. Expression
(That's pretty much true of all instruments; it's just more obvious on the violin.  And on piano you don't have to worry about intonation, and tone is mostly a function of the instrument.)  And it does take years, from all accounts, to get that rich violin sound and good intonation.

Just be glad you're not trying to play oboe! :o It's even harder to get good tone on the oboe.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

greg

BachQ

BachQ

Bonehelm

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 10, 2007, 08:56:51 AM
What about vibrational fields?

They vibrate. Wildly, Exotically. Use your sick imagination.  :D

mattzart

I know I'm replying to a month old topic, but I feel like I must encourage you to try out the violin if you are willing to work hard and practice intelligently. Sure, it's one of the hardest instruments to learn, but that shouldn't turn you off if you are slightly interested in learning to play. If you start out now I think you should have realistic goals and not try to push yourself too hard, too fast or it will be worse for you in the long run. Start off slow and practice slowing bowing the open strings for as long as you'd like, feel how the bow feels in your arms at all parts of the bow and learn proper bow distribution, bow pressure and bow speed for what you are playing.

It really bothers me when I see people turned off from learning something (music or otherwise), because they feel they are incapable of doing it because so and so. I just want you to know that with enough practice you could be playing in a string quartet and playing first or second violin beautifully. Just don't ever think "what can be so hard about it?", because there are professionals that still have trouble with their bow arm even after years and years of practice. Which is why you shouldn't get into playing with the mindset of making money, because the first thing is the love of the instrument or else you'd want to quit after day one.

Much luck to you.

Renfield

Quote from: mattzart on December 04, 2007, 05:01:14 PM
Which is why you shouldn't get into playing with the mindset of making money, because the first thing is the love of the instrument or else you'd want to quit after day one.

Which is why most of us advised him against attempting the career as a violinist, given the reasons stated in his original post. :)

Florestan

The wife of an acquaintance of mine is a violin teacher. Her oldest pupil is 76. So if you want to learn playing violin for your own pleasure and without any pretense to be a proffessional you can go for it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

BachQ

Quote from: mattzart on December 04, 2007, 05:01:14 PM
I know I'm replying to a month old topic, but I feel like I must encourage you to try out the violin if you are willing to work hard and practice intelligently.

Greg was with you up until the last part of your sentence ........

mattzart

Quote from: Renfield on December 05, 2007, 12:22:09 AM
Which is why most of us advised him against attempting the career as a violinist, given the reasons stated in his original post. :)

Oh, he just wanted a career? I didn't bother reading the whole post  8)

greg

yeah, sorry, i have a bit too much to practice to add violin in there.... i'm not worrying about it anymore since now i've realized something about my future career that means i don't really need a backup plan to have a future job doing something i like, but it's cool by itself.
still...... some day i'll have to buy a cheap violin just for the fun of it, even if i don't plan on practicing to become an expert  >:D

mattzart

If it's something you were just thinking of as a backup than I wouldn't bother picking it up. The amount of work you'll have to put in just to get a good tone will probably make you want to quit before you even hit a year of practicing, because the first six months will be spent bowing open strings very slowly and noticing how the bow feels in your hand and arm, then there's the whole left hand you have to practice and that's just as much slow, grueling work.

If you have a want and need to play the violin than go for it, if not than I advise another instrument, because violin is very, very difficult. For example, you'll need about 20 years of good practice just to even consider playing the Beethoven concerto.

greg

Quote from: mattzart on December 05, 2007, 09:34:03 AM
If it's something you were just thinking of as a backup than I wouldn't bother picking it up. The amount of work you'll have to put in just to get a good tone will probably make you want to quit before you even hit a year of practicing, because the first six months will be spent bowing open strings very slowly and noticing how the bow feels in your hand and arm, then there's the whole left hand you have to practice and that's just as much slow, grueling work.

If you have a want and need to play the violin than go for it, if not than I advise another instrument, because violin is very, very difficult. For example, you'll need about 20 years of good practice just to even consider playing the Beethoven concerto.
i'll stick with guitar, then  8)