Maurice Emmanuel (1862-1938)

Started by schnittkease, March 30, 2017, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

QuoteA pupil of Delibes at the Paris Conservatoire, Maurice Emmanuel also studied a wide range of subjects at the Sorbonne and the Ecole du Louvre. The disapproval expressed by Delibes of an early composition led him to study with Bizet's friend Guiraud. Having specialized in a study of ancient Greek dance, he was eventually appointed to the Conservatoire as teacher of the history of music, a position he held for 25 years. His interest in earlier music is reflected in his modal musical language.

Highly recommend his six piano sonatinas.

ritter

Quote from: schnittkease on March 30, 2017, 05:34:30 PM

Highly recommend his six piano sonatinas.
Nice to see a Maurice Emmanuel thread getting started, schnittkease! I fully agree with you on the Sonatinas. I'm particularly fond of Sonatina No. 5, "alla francese", and it's (partial) arrangement for orchestra as the Suite française, op. 26.

This disc is a winner IMHO (despite the scathing review it receives from an amazon client ::) ):

[asin]B004UMGSGO[/asin]

schnittkease

Quote from: ritter on April 01, 2017, 06:06:11 AM
This disc is a winner IMHO (despite the scathing review it receives from an amazon client ::) ):

[asin]B004UMGSGO[/asin]

Thank you for the recommendation; I sampled the disc on Amazon. It seems that Emmanuel's orchestral music is pretty thick, maybe too much so for my tastes. I pass for the time being.

But while you're here, what CD do you have of the piano sonatinas? Or rather, what is your favorite interpretation of them? The Peter Jacobs (which I own) is nice, but one wonders if the Laurent Wagschal is any better. There are a few others out there too.

ritter

Quote from: schnittkease on April 01, 2017, 08:26:25 AM
But while you're here, what CD do you have of the piano sonatinas? Or rather, what is your favorite interpretation of them? The Peter Jacobs (which I own) is nice, but one wonders if the Laurent Wagschal is any better. There are a few others out there too.
I only have the Peter Jacobs in my collection.

[asin]B004J8GE9U[/asin]

I find it perfectly adequate (even if it's a CD-R)

Regards,