Onute Narbutaite

Started by Maciek, November 06, 2007, 12:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Onutė Narbutaitė is definitely the most famous Lithuanian female composer.

She has quite an impressive discography, with no less than 4 discs on Finlandia, not to mention other recordings:

lukeottevanger

Well, I liked the clip I heard last night - in fact, in general, I discovered all sorts of interesting stuff last night   ;) - so I look forward to your posts! And thanks in advance  :)

Lethevich

Quote from: Maciek on November 06, 2007, 12:28:50 AM
Onutė Narbutaitė is definitely the most famous Lithuanian female composer.

To think... anybody outside of this forum would take that statement as a deadpan joke... :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Lethe on November 06, 2007, 12:47:56 AM
To think... anybody outside of this forum would take that statement as a deadpan joke... :D

David Cameron certainly would

Cato

Quote from: Maciek on November 06, 2007, 03:40:55 AM
Let's try to make up for that incident by listening to some music. 0:)

Onute Narbutaite - Drappeggio. String Quartet No. 2 (2004)
performed by the Arditti Strinq Quartet
http://www.mediafire.com/?49jyidwz0nm

Onute Narbutaite - La Barca (2005)
performed by the Bavarian Radio SO conducted by Jose Serebrier
http://www.mediafire.com/?fjmx9lo9eso

She has some high-octane people interested in her music!

Pan Maciek:
Do Poles have any ideas, comical or otherwise, about Lithuanians, female or otherwise?  Are they seen as country bumpkins, noble cousins, etc?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on November 06, 2007, 12:47:56 AM

Thank you, Lethe!

BachQ

Quote from: Maciek on November 06, 2007, 12:28:50 AM
one of her symphonies, I think).

How many symphonies has she composed?  Are they any good?

Maciek

Quote from: Cato on November 06, 2007, 06:16:29 AM
She has some high-octane people interested in her music!

You mean us at GMG?

Pan Maciek:
Do Poles have any ideas, comical or otherwise, about Lithuanians, female or otherwise?  Are they seen as country bumpkins, noble cousins, etc?

An embarrassing question, really. I believe most Poles think that Lithuanians are essentially snobbish Poles for some reason pretending not to be Poles... For one thing, most Poles think Lithuanian is a language similar to Polish (nothing further from the truth!). For another, most Poles believe that all Lithuanians think that the era of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was something very glorious (quite to the contrary, Lithuanians think of it roughly as a form of colonization...). And last but not least (and this is probably the most embarrassing fact of all) most Poles believe that Vilnius is really a Polish city... ::)

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 06, 2007, 06:54:41 AM
How many symphonies has she composed?  Are they any good?

Two "numbered" symphonies. But she's also written something called Tres Dei Matris Symphoniae, and her most recent piece (premiered this Warsaw Autumn) is called krantas upė simfonija... So "around four" would be my answer. As for their quality - I can't really say. Narbutaite remains a composer I find "interesting" but am not really 100% convinced of her greatness. Perhaps one day I'll see the light...

Lilas Pastia

Is there enough in there to fill a cd? ;)

BachQ

Quote from: Maciek on November 09, 2007, 02:59:50 PM
Two "numbered" symphonies. But she's also written something called Tres Dei Matris Symphoniae, and her most recent piece (premiered this Warsaw Autumn) is called krantas upė simfonija... So "around four" would be my answer. As for their quality - I can't really say. Narbutaite remains a composer I find "interesting" but am not really 100% convinced of her greatness. Perhaps one day I'll see the light...

Let us help you along, here, Maciek: 2 +1 +1 = 4.

Maciek

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 10, 2007, 07:15:58 AM
Let us help you along, here, Maciek: 2 +1 +1 = 4.

That's 2 + 1(?) + 1(?) = 4(?)

Guido

Onute Narbutaite is great! Think I'll be looking out for more pieces by this composer.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Lethevich

Possibly a pointless observation, but the SQ no.2 link's file tag says "SQ NO4". It's a neat piece, anyway.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lilas Pastia

I think our friend is busy right now: Mme Maciek is due any minute ! :D

Maciek

Quote from: Lethe on November 11, 2007, 11:02:18 PM
Possibly a pointless observation, but the SQ no.2 link's file tag says "SQ NO4". It's a neat piece, anyway.

Yes, no. 4. Sorry.

BachQ

Maciek

Oh, that can be arranged (though you'll have to arrange it yourself this time :P): it's on the Gate of Oblivion disc (Finlandia 0927-43072-2, 2002) - in fact, the title of that disc comes from the title of the quartet - "Open the Gate of Oblivion". The disc also contains her 3rd SQ.

I'm not sure if it's the same set of pieces/performances but the quartet has also been recorded on Academy/Edel ACA 8503-2, 1991. You might also want to track down the earlier LP releases (on Vaga in 1986 and Melodiya, Mel 10-23669-009 in 1987)...

When you get all four releases, let us know how they compare................

BachQ

Quote from: Maciek on November 12, 2007, 03:08:59 PM
When you get all four releases, let us know how they compare................

I will have passed through the Gate of Oblivion before such time as I have all four releases ......... my dear, dear Maciek .........   :-*

Maciek

Quote from: Herzog Lipschitz on November 12, 2007, 03:17:07 PM
I will have passed through the Gate of Oblivion before such time as I have all four releases ......... my dear, dear Maciek .........   :-*

You have to get all four, I insist. In fact, I believe getting them is the only way to avoid going through the Gates of Oblivion - as long as you don't actually listen to any of those recordings, of course.............

(Thus we've approached an uncanny Ring-like plot turn in this, so far, pretty unpredictable thread................)

((The predicted outcome would of course have been the thread promptly sinking after creation......))