Musical regrets?

Started by Mark, November 06, 2007, 05:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 06, 2007, 10:38:49 AM
have you tried his symphonies? I find the 1,2,4th very accessible.
Yeah, I've tried 3 and 4. I kinda like the original version of the 4th, but it doesn't jump out at me. The only works I actively like are some of the chamber pieces.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

The new erato

Bad recordings sometimes don't "click"; but stuff I simply don't understand I keep on a separate shelf until I feel ready for them. Nicholas Maw's Odyssey are "clicking" just now after 2 previous playthroughs over a period of 6 years. Fabulous feeling. Finally I will be able to archoive it. Kreneks 2nd symphony likewise three weks ago.

mahlertitan

Quote from: edward on November 06, 2007, 11:01:40 AM
Yeah, I've tried 3 and 4. I kinda like the original version of the 4th, but it doesn't jump out at me. The only works I actively like are some of the chamber pieces.

why?

not edward

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 06, 2007, 11:33:39 AM
why?
Well, at least in Harnoncourt's reading, it keeps my interest by being lively and enjoyable throughout. It just doesn't leave me with a lasting impression afterwards.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

mahlertitan

Quote from: edward on November 06, 2007, 11:45:44 AM
Well, at least in Harnoncourt's reading, it keeps my interest by being lively and enjoyable throughout. It just doesn't leave me with a lasting impression afterwards.

Which 1851 version are you comparing it with?

karlhenning

If Edward has listened to something, he has actually listened to it.

pjme

1) Have you ever bought a CD, played it and wished you'd saved your money?

Symphonies by a Alberto Williams (Argentina - late 19-early 20th c.) on Arte Nova (cheap fortunately). Extremely boring. Idem :Rodrigo's pianoconcerto on Naxos.

2) Are there any composers whose works you took time to explore, only to later consider it time wasted?
[/quote]

Hardly. Thanks to the radio (BBC, France Musique, WDR 3, Dutch Radio 4, Klara...) I'm able to listen before I buy. Fragments on the internet help aswell.

Mark

Quote from: beclemund on November 06, 2007, 10:01:40 AM
Usually, if I am iffy on a selection, I try to see if I can find a performance through emusic (about 25 cents a track) or some other inexpesive digital outlet before committing to a full-priced CD purchase.

Same here. :)

Quote from: edward on November 06, 2007, 10:26:18 AM
So far the composer I've put most effort into without getting much back is Schumann.

I'm having the same 'trouble' with Schumann. But then, I once had this with Brahms, whose work I now love.

Mark

Quote from: edward on November 06, 2007, 11:01:40 AM
The only works I actively like are some of the chamber pieces.

And again, we agree. :D

not edward

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 06, 2007, 11:48:31 AM
Which 1851 version are you comparing it with?
I wasn't actually comparing it with the 1851 version, just mentioning the 1841 version as it's probably the non-chamber work of Schumann's that's come closest to making a real impression on me.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on November 06, 2007, 10:06:54 AM
I haven't heard Rossini's fantastic piano music. These composers just aren't my cup of tea/I don't understand their music.
at least we can agree on a composer we both don't like

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark on November 06, 2007, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: EdwardThe only works I actively like are some of the chamber pieces.

And again, we agree. :D

FWIW, lads . . . the symphonies never really sang to me, until I was at a live performance of the First.  Not that it was the greatest performance (it was largely a good one, but had its semi-pro unevenness — not that pros are not subject to their own unevenness).  But one thing was, the musical discourse had an immediacy that various recordings over the years had always lacked.  Since then, I have enjoyed them on recordings, as well.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on November 06, 2007, 05:26:15 AM
Inspired by a comment George made in another thread - he said he wished he'd followed his own instincts in the early days of his collecting, rather than acquiring so many of the works considered to be 'core repertoire' - I thought I'd pose the following two questions:

1) Have you ever bought a CD, played it and wished you'd saved your money?

2) Are there any composers whose works you took time to explore, only to later consider it time wasted?

Yes this:

but then again Mark you already knew that.

marvin

Mark

Marvin, I didn't know this. Solti's Mahler? Seriously? Why you no like? ???

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 05:40:42 AM
Marvin, I didn't know this. Solti's Mahler? Seriously? Why you no like? ???

The music comes across as being...... oh..... what's the word I am looking for here....."abrasive". 

marvin

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 07, 2007, 05:45:27 AM
  The music comes across as being...... oh..... what's the word I am looking for here....."abrasive". 

marvin

The only part of this cycle I found abrasive was the peak distortion in Symphonies Nos. 5 and 7. The sound quality is otherwise superb, and the recordings are very detailed - almost intimately so in places. A cycle I'll certainly not throw out. :)

Hector

1) Yes, because of the performance, recording or composition.

2) Yes, Penderecki Double EMI of recordings from the seventies amongst many others but I tend to persevere.

Even during the LP era I bought unheard and still do. You win some, or should that be one finds winners and one finds 'losers'?

Recently, I think I've hit gold with Onslow, Farrenc, Tournemire and (I may change my mind, here) Krenek.

Wanderer

Bump. Any regrets recently?

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν