Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: DavidW on November 22, 2010, 11:03:22 AM
I just want to say that nml is cool. :)  It really helps me check out music.  It's easy to make an informed decision about buying a cd if you can listen to the entire thing twice over or more! :)

So true.  I was about to acquire Marcel Tyberg's Naxos disc but decided to hear it first on NML.  After a couple of hearings, my conclusion was not to pull the trigger. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on November 22, 2010, 11:03:22 AM
I just want to say that nml is cool. :)  It really helps me check out music.  It's easy to make an informed decision about buying a cd if you can listen to the entire thing twice over or more! :)

That's what I've been saying in my above posts. The site is great for sampling music and what's nice are the other labels that you're able to sample in addition to Naxos' catalog.

Octo_Russ

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2010, 11:14:35 AM
What's great about the Naxos Music Library is that you can sample 15 minutes of recording, which not many companies will even let you sample the music and if they did it wouldn't be 15 minutes worth. That's the nice thing about this site and since I still buy CDs it enables me a chance to really sample the music as oppose to those 30 seconds that most other sites only allow you (i. e. Amazon, CD Universe, Barnes & Noble).

But the Naxos site only gives you 15 minutes per day, and not 15 minutes per disc, i would use it primarily as a site to sample discs to buy, i don't see why Naxos can't allow you to have unlimited sampling of say the first 5 minutes of a track for free, if it encourages you to buy the disc, then Naxos is the winner as they make a sale!.
I'm a Musical Octopus, I Love to get a Tentacle in every Genre of Music. http://octoruss.blogspot.com/

DavidW

I know why OctoRuss-- because it would interfere with their streaming business.  The ceo sees streaming as the long term future for classical music.  And when they're the only ones that do classical streaming right, why give that away?  Heck they even know they're the only game in town-- the popular streaming services charge $5/mo for 128k streaming, but nml knows that they are worth 5 times as much for classical listeners... and they're right.

Brian

Quote from: Octo_Russ on November 25, 2010, 06:25:41 AM
But the Naxos site only gives you 15 minutes per day, and not 15 minutes per disc, i would use it primarily as a site to sample discs to buy, i don't see why Naxos can't allow you to have unlimited sampling of say the first 5 minutes of a track for free, if it encourages you to buy the disc, then Naxos is the winner as they make a sale!.

That's what a free subscription does at Naxos.com rather than NaxosMusicLibrary.com. Benefits: you get free access to the first 25% of each track. Drawbacks: this only covers Naxos, BIS, Dacapo, and a couple other labels, not Chandos, LSO Live, Naive, etc.

Bulldog

I doubt that Naxos sees this service as being one of sampling; neither do I as I generally listen to entire discs.

Put another way, stop being so cheap. ::)

Mirror Image

Yes, but since I usually buy whole series at a time, I'll listen to one disc from a composer series and if I like the music, then I usually just go ahead and buy them all. A case in point: the Malipiero discs that I recently bought.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2010, 10:43:41 PM

Yes, but since I usually buy whole series at a time, I'll listen to one disc from a composer series and if I like the music, then I usually just go ahead and buy them all. A case in point: the Malipiero discs that I recently bought.

This summer, I listened to one 30-second sound clip from an Albert Roussel symphony (No 3). Somehow, it slipped my mind that I could listen to a longer sample on NML - but no matter, those 30 seconds were so good I got Naxos' complete symphonies box set.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2010, 12:57:09 AM
This summer, I listened to one 30-second sound clip from an Albert Roussel symphony (No 3). Somehow, it slipped my mind that I could listen to a longer sample on NML - but no matter, those 30 seconds were so good I got Naxos' complete symphonies box set.  ;D

I, too, own the Roussel/Naxos series and they are excellent. No doubt about it.

Brian

Labels I wish were on Naxos Music Library:
harmonia mundi
Supraphon
Hyperion
ZigZag Territories
Northern Flowers
Alia Vox
...that's pretty much it. They've got so much on there these days; I think most of the CDs I listen to offline are available on NML anyways.

DavidW

HM and Supraphon are on Rhapsody, Napster etc  I haven't found Hyperion on any streaming site.  I haven't heard of those other record labels.

If you listen to alot of things on those first two labels, and emi, sony, decca, dg then Rhapsody, Napster, Mog etc are each only $5/month and have 'em all. :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on November 27, 2010, 01:35:15 PM
HM and Supraphon are on Rhapsody, Napster etc  I haven't found Hyperion on any streaming site.  I haven't heard of those other record labels.

If you listen to alot of things on those first two labels, and emi, sony, decca, dg then Rhapsody, Napster, Mog etc are each only $5/month and have 'em all. :)

I should see if they're on Spotify. That's an England-only thing, free streaming for 20 hours a month. Northern Flowers is a Russian label that does things like the Taneyev chamber music and obscure Shostakovich bits; ZigZag does a lot of HIP stuff (ask Que!) especially with Jos van Immerseel; and Alia Vox is Jordi Savall's label. :)

Bulldog

Just wanted those interested to know that Naxos has just added BBC Legends to its Music Library - so far, 165 titles.

Brian

That's quite exciting. So far I'm disappointed that they are not keeping up with Onyx new releases, and also, why does the CPO catalogue exclude series by composers like Atterberg and Antheil? Too much music to keep up with, I guess!

Bulldog

Quote from: Brian on February 15, 2011, 09:37:37 AM
That's quite exciting. So far I'm disappointed that they are not keeping up with Onyx new releases, and also, why does the CPO catalogue exclude series by composers like Atterberg and Antheil? Too much music to keep up with, I guess!

Naxos states the labels for which it has the complete catalogs, and CPO isn't one of them.  Unfortunately, that's life. :(

westknife

Is this worth it (price)? How is the selection? Can I get it for free through a library? Sorry if there is already a thread for this—I searched.

Brian

Definitely check your local library or library system.
I'd say it is totally worth it. The selection is mind-boggling - indeed awe-inspiring - maybe one of the greatest feats on the 'Net. This is my fourth year in Naxos Music Library and I've been unable to find a piece of music I want to hear maybe five times, tops. We are talking 50,000+ CDs, many of them outstanding and a lot of them definitive. All but six or seven of the important record labels are on board*, and there is a back catalog of some classic recordings too. If you're outside the USA, this is especially great because the Naxos Historical and Naxos Archives series present literally thousands of recordings of Toscanini, Mitropoulos, Bernstein, Karajan, Ormandy, composers like Hindemith conducting their own music, and so on and so on.

There are quite a few threads already on this... not sure how the search engine missed them.

*EMI, DG, Decca, RCA/Sony, harmonia mundi, Supraphon and Hyperion are out. Labels that are in include Naxos, BIS, Chandos, PentaTone, Newton Classics (reissues of old Phillips and Decca CDs), Berlin Classics, Naive, CPO, BBC, LSO, LPO, Chicago SO, Bavarian Radio, Dorian, Vox...

Bulldog

To those of you who daily check the "Recent Additions":

Are you getting tired of "Brazil"?

Antoine Marchand

Some excellent new labels have been added these days, three of my favorites are:

The Fryderyk Chopin Institute (NIFC)

Globe

ARTS Music

:)

Bulldog

Just today, Brilliant Classics was added to the NML inventory of labels - surprised me very much.  Only 12 titles are now listed; should be interesting to how much larger the total will be.