Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

NML has now added Mirare!

Brian

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra has joined NML.

amw

Quote from: Gordo on November 14, 2013, 11:20:55 AM
But lately I have begun to find its sound quality quite poor  and flat (I clearly recall I said something different in the past  :-[).

Not just you; the 'standard' sound option is 64kbps AAC. I think 'premium' might be as high as 128kbps.

I've sometimes wondered how feasible it would be for NML to switch to offering a 'free' version (128k), 'standard' (256k) and 'premium' (lossless). Or a model where your NML subscription allows you to download a certain amount from their online shop within bandwidth limits set by how much you're paying per month.

DavidW

Quote from: amw on April 10, 2014, 03:19:22 PM
Not just you; the 'standard' sound option is 64kbps AAC. I think 'premium' might be as high as 128kbps.

I've sometimes wondered how feasible it would be for NML to switch to offering a 'free' version (128k), 'standard' (256k) and 'premium' (lossless). Or a model where your NML subscription allows you to download a certain amount from their online shop within bandwidth limits set by how much you're paying per month.

That would be awesome.  NML is simply not competitive with the other streaming services despite their deep catalog.  Raise the bitrate.  Allow for downloads on mobile devices.  Lower the price.

Brian

Brian

Supraphon joins Naxos Music Library!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2016, 06:00:09 AM

Boy, they have a lot of disks I would like to have, and so many are OOP or really hard to get my hands on...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

amw

Quote from: amw on April 10, 2014, 03:19:22 PM

Apparently Klaus Heymann reads this forum since NML's standard quality is now 128k and premium 320k (guess lossless would compete too much with ClassicsOnline or something? idk). Hey Klaus! When are you gonna add Hyperion, MDG and ECM?

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on January 13, 2017, 06:31:22 AM
I have bemoaned the fact that Hyperion and ECM are not found on any streaming services (I have hoped that ECM would start their own streaming service when they rolled out their announced new site).  Which I have interpreted to mean that it is their decision not to license their music on these portals.

And by them not wanting to stream their music, it certainly hasn't hurt them. Both labels are doing extremely well. I actually admire them for not streaming their music.

Karl Henning

The artists must earn so much from streaming  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: amw on January 13, 2017, 06:28:26 AM
Apparently Klaus Heymann reads this forum since NML's standard quality is now 128k and premium 320k (guess lossless would compete too much with ClassicsOnline or something? idk). Hey Klaus! When are you gonna add Hyperion, MDG and ECM?
ECM's classical label is technically on NML, but they've only uploaded some of the catalog, and it's listed as "Universal Classics". There's no good way to search for ECM releases except frustratedly typing in each album, but I know they have Lonquich's Kreisleriana and Holliger's Bach oboe concertos.

Mandryka

I've just found a way of squirting NML into my hifi via an iPad and a squeezebox, so I'm curious about it. Right now I use two streaming services, Tidal and Qobuz. Does anyone think I should scrap them and just use NML?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Oh boy, NML website redesign...let's see how this goes...

Brian

TELARC has joined Naxos Music Library for streaming.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2016, 06:00:09 AM

Quote from: Brian on January 13, 2017, 06:23:54 AM
Melodiya joins NML!
Augh!  Oh, waaaayyyy too tempting!  Just noticed these older posts.

1)  Has the bit rate gone up?  and 2)  Yeah, I wonder what kind of money classical artists are making from a streaming service such as this?  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ando

Quote from: gmstudio on November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PMAnyone here subscribe to the Naxos streaming service?  $20/year to listen to the whole catalog "on demand" seems like quite a bargain. Anyone here sign up for it? Regrets? Issues? Recommendations?   How's the sound quality? Reliability? (Lots of dropouts?) I'm mostly interested in the Marco Polo, BIS, dacapo stuff...

Thanks
Well, the current $315 tag for their annual Premium membership is simply outrageous. I wouldn't be anywhere near it if I didn't have the free standard option through the NYPL. I wonder how many U.S. libraries have offered the service to their patrons since the above post.

I love it mostly for info about new releases, the ability to stream them instantly, quick downloads for offline playing and the ability to shuffle playlists, particularly favorites, on the desktop site. The app has no option for shuffling all your favorites in a single (or repeated) rotation though it's the overall better way to stream. With subscriptions to AppleMusic (iTunes devotee), YouTube Music (comes with a Premium sub) and Spotify (free version, which nonetheless remains the best model, imo) I sometimes forget to take advantage of what they offer. But I'm very grateful for the service.

Edit: The desktop site will drop out if you're not actively using it, which is why the app (which doesn't do this) is the obvious streaming option.