Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toro913

My university has a subscription and I'm sure nobody knows about it.

Don

Quote from: toro913 on November 07, 2007, 08:07:25 AM

Well, you know so pass the word to your fellow classical music enthusiasts (if there are any).

mahlertitan

lucky you, don't have to spend the 225 dollars!

Don

Quote from: GBJGZW on November 07, 2007, 08:15:55 AM
lucky you, don't have to spend the 225 dollars!

Where do you arrive at the 225 dollars number?

mahlertitan

Quote from: Don on November 07, 2007, 08:25:13 AM
Where do you arrive at the 225 dollars number?

it's from Naxosmusiclibrary's website, here:

https://duet.hnh.com/pg/pay_NML/NML_subscription.asp?LG=

for "Cd quality" it's 225/year.

Brian

Mine is the same way, so I've told a couple classical-obsessed friends about it and they agree with me that it is the best website in existence.  ;D 

gmstudio

Quote from: brianrein on November 07, 2007, 09:34:26 AM
Mine is the same way, so I've told a couple classical-obsessed friends about it and they agree with me that it is the best website in existence.  ;D 

Ahem  :)

George

Quote from: Mark on November 06, 2007, 08:59:01 PM
I subscribe. Have done for three years. Just the basic, low bitrate service. Very useful. I check things out in full there, then download from eMusic if I like what I hear. If I subsequent love the download, I buy the CD. It's very cost-effective. :)

Can you sample the Naxos Histoical series, 'cause I can't.  :-\

I am not a member, but I should still be able to hear samples.  :-[

Brian

Quote from: George on November 07, 2007, 10:00:16 AM
Can you sample the Naxos Histoical series, 'cause I can't.  :-\

I am not a member, but I should still be able to hear samples.  :-[
If you live in America...  :(  we can't listen to them, they got sued by somebody over the old recordings.

johnQpublic

I'm cheap, so I settle for the free 25%; however, I really need 30% to get past those extra-long slow introductions  :D

Don

Quote from: GBJGZW on November 07, 2007, 08:27:04 AM
it's from Naxosmusiclibrary's website, here:

https://duet.hnh.com/pg/pay_NML/NML_subscription.asp?LG=

for "Cd quality" it's 225/year.

That sure isn't the screen I was sent to when I signed up.  I'll have to investigate further.

Renfield

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 03:21:35 AM
My signature is nothing more than a throw-away line or two that basically says: 'I have my opinions, and they're precisely that - MY opinions'. I base them on what knowledge I have (and what I gain from having my views challenged by others), and when I need more knowledge, I go looking for it. ;)

So I reckoned, but I wanted to make sure you knew the potential risk, should an acolyte of a certain German thinker came in "guns blazing!" :o

Though of course, he'd likely shoot me first. ;D

Nice new signature, by the way: made me grin, something which in my present sore-throat-cough-and-fever condition is most welcome. ;)

Mark

Quote from: Renfield on November 07, 2007, 05:09:07 PM
Nice new signature, by the way: made me grin, something which in my present sore-throat-cough-and-fever condition is most welcome. ;)

Glad you like it. And sorry to learn you're unwell. :(

Renfield

Quote from: Mark on November 08, 2007, 12:11:53 AM
Glad you like it. And sorry to learn you're unwell. :(

Oh, I'm hoping I'll mend before long. But many thanks for your concern, regardless. :)

Don

Quote from: Don on November 07, 2007, 11:31:42 AM
That sure isn't the screen I was sent to when I signed up.  I'll have to investigate further.

Well, I did investigate and found I screwed up.  Apparently, I had checked off the dial-up mode and therefore was directed to FM quality.  So I fixed that problem and found that the CD quality is much better than the FM.  So I signed up for the $225 year package.  At any rate, the volume of material is huge and Naxos seems to be adding more labels at a frequent pace.

Don

After exploring the Naxos Music Library for a few days, I am very happy I subscribed.  For reviewing purposes, I often have to acquire additional discs for comparision use.  Given the large Naxos inventory, those acquisitions will now be substantially reduced.

ChamberNut

I recently subscribed to Naxos also.  Not the $225/year, but the $20/year for the FM quality.

I find it to be a great resource for me, especially to introducing myself to works that I don't yet have in my collections or haven't yet heard or discovered but want to.

Don

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 05, 2007, 07:35:29 AM
I recently subscribed to Naxos also.  Not the $225/year, but the $20/year for the FM quality.

I find it to be a great resource for me, especially to introducing myself to works that I don't yet have in my collections or haven't yet heard or discovered but want to.

Totally agree.  I've been grooving on the Aho/Bis discs; never would have known how good he is.

Initially I had the FM quality subscription but changed to their top-of-the-line that has much better sound quality.  Did hate paying that $225 though.

MN Dave

Quote from: longears on November 06, 2007, 06:34:01 PM
Not pedantry.  Lossless compression would be around 700kbps.  128kbps is nowhere near CD quality--the sound is horrible and in a sane world they wouldn't be allowed to make such blatant lies.

As I mention in another thread, I don't think all CDs use the same number of kbps. Maybe older recordings don't need as many. I assume the number mentioned above is for an audiophile modern recording.

Harry

I did that for a while, but I ended up even buying more cd's, so I stopped my subscription before the damage would be unrepairable. ;D