Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustav

Naxosmusiclibrary.com is great, while at 128kbps, it is nowhere close to "CD Quality", the sheer size and comprehensiveness of the collection easily overshadows it.

I especially like to listen to the historical recordings on Naxos, and just recently (i think it was today) they added Bruno Walter's Bruckner Symphony No. 8. I am very excited to hear this album, since it uses the 1892 version (which i have never heard of). It also spare me the expense of buying a CD that I might not want to add to my collection.

Bulldog

Just wanted to let interested parties know that the NML has added Berlin Classics to the mix.  Also just added are Eschenbach's recording on Ondine of Mahler's Sym. 2 and Ashkenazy's take on Suk's Asrael Symphony.

donaldopato

I was quite happy to see the Berlin Classics recordings available. Lots of great Sanderling recordings and other gems that have been sometimes hard to find.

Thanks for the heads up on the Suk, I had missed that one.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

Bulldog

Among today's 55 new entries:

Shostakovich Sym. 8 - Litton/Delos
Schumann's Genoveva - Moser/Berlin Classics
Mahler's Das Lied - Sanderling/Berlin Classics
Melchior Franck - Sacred Motets/Thorofon
Beethoven's Leonore - Blomstedt/Berlin Classics
Bach on Silbermann Organs - Vols. 7 and 10/Berlin Classics
Eisler - Three discs/Berlin Classics

Bulldog

The Timpani label was added this week.  So far, only about 25 recordings - some Cras, LeFlem, Xenakis and Ropartz.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Bulldog on January 27, 2009, 03:48:01 PM
Just wanted to let interested parties know that the NML has added Berlin Classics to the mix.  Also just added are Eschenbach's recording on Ondine of Mahler's Sym. 2 and Ashkenazy's take on Suk's Asrael Symphony.

The Asrael is a wonderful symphony. His 'Summer's Tale," "Ripening,". and others reflect to some extent influences of Czech music of the 19th century.  I detect Dvorak in many of Suk's profound works.  Much of his harmonies and theme develpmets are clearly conceived within 20th century tonal development. Yet he is original, serious, and his works may also suggest a mysterious, "uncertainty" phase suggestive in the works. I think the    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic gives an excellent performance of the elegaic "Asrael Symphony."  I also have soe piano works which I haven't heard in a while, so I'll hold my judgement on these.  Pavel Stepan is the player.

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on March 28, 2010, 04:46:03 PM

But, my question is about the Naxos Musical Library - I've not joined - can you briefly enlighten us as to cost and options, i.e. is this just streaming audio or can CDs/tracks be downloaded, and if so in what formats?  Any information would be appreciated - thanks.  Dave  :)

I don't believe there are any downloading options, which is fine with me since I rarely download anything.  Cost is based on the quality of sound offered - I think there are three options.  Personally, I don't find the lowest two acceptable, but the best one is fine with me.  It costs $225 per year or $25 per month.  The inventory is huge: all Naxos discs, all BIS, all Marco Polo, all Dacapo, many Alphas, all Profil, all Hanssler, all Chandos, all Alba, all Hungaroton, all Analekta, all LPO and Halle. all SDG (Gardiner), etc.  There's a ton of labels and variety with much in the way of band and world music as well.

I know that Brian is also a subscriber, but I don't know what price he picked. 

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on March 28, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
I don't believe there are any downloading options, which is fine with me since I rarely download anything.  Cost is based on the quality of sound offered - I think there are three options.  Personally, I don't find the lowest two acceptable, but the best one is fine with me.  It costs $225 per year or $25 per month.  The inventory is huge: all Naxos discs, all BIS, all Marco Polo, all Dacapo, many Alphas, all Profil, all Hanssler, all Chandos, all Alba, all Hungaroton, all Analekta, all LPO and Halle. all SDG (Gardiner), etc.  There's a ton of labels and variety with much in the way of band and world music as well.

I know that Brian is also a subscriber, but I don't know what price he picked.

Thanks Don for the information above - I'll take a look at their website - Dave  :D

Bulldog

Loft Recordings and Gothic have been among my favored labels for many years.  Just today, both were added to the Naxos Library.

Mirror Image

What's great about the Naxos Music Library is that you can sample 15 minutes of recording, which not many companies will even let you sample the music and if they did it wouldn't be 15 minutes worth. That's the nice thing about this site and since I still buy CDs it enables me a chance to really sample the music as oppose to those 30 seconds that most other sites only allow you (i. e. Amazon, CD Universe, Barnes & Noble).

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2010, 11:14:35 AM
What's great about the Naxos Music Library is that you can sample 15 minutes of recording, which not many companies will even let you sample the music and if they did it wouldn't be 15 minutes worth. That's the nice thing about this site and since I still buy CDs it enables me a chance to really sample the music as oppose to those 30 seconds that most other sites only allow you (i. e. Amazon, CD Universe, Barnes & Noble).

I realize that many folks just use the site for sampling purposes, but I generally listen to entire cds on the site. 

It's likely that the 15 minute sampling time is to get folks hooked on the site and buy a subscription.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bulldog on August 04, 2010, 01:18:59 PM
I realize that many folks just use the site for sampling purposes, but I generally listen to entire cds on the site. 

It's likely that the 15 minute sampling time is to get folks hooked on the site and buy a subscription.

I'm one of those that just uses it for sampling purposes. I'm a CD collector, so, again, it's nice to have that 15 minutes.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on August 04, 2010, 10:53:28 AM
Loft Recordings and Gothic have been among my favored labels for many years.  Just today, both were added to the Naxos Library.

Great additions, indeed.

If you have some time, I would be interested in your comments about Davidsson's Buxtehude on Gothic.

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 04, 2010, 09:12:11 PM
Great additions, indeed.

If you have some time, I would be interested in your comments about Davidsson's Buxtehude on Gothic.

I only have his Vol. 1 - enjoyed it but would have liked more animation and flexibility on his part.  I haven't listened to it for a couple of years, finding Bryndorf and Saorgin more to my liking.

I prefer Davidsson in his Weckmann set on Motette, and that's probably because of less competition on record.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on August 04, 2010, 09:32:23 PM
I only have his Vol. 1 - enjoyed it but would have liked more animation and flexibility on his part.  I haven't listened to it for a couple of years, finding Bryndorf and Saorgin more to my liking.

I prefer Davidsson in his Weckmann set on Motette, and that's probably because of less competition on record.

Thanks, Don. I have not had chance to hear samples of Davidsson playing Buxtehude, but the opinions and information looked rather promising. My favorite Buxtehude is played by Harald Vogel, who is a superb "colorist".

BTW, there are three discs on Loft Recordings - from a small collection called "The Bach Circle"-, performed by Vogel, which are highly recommendable (especially the unfindable first volume).

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 05, 2010, 06:56:47 AM
Thanks, Don. I have not had chance to hear samples of Davidsson playing Buxtehude, but the opinions and information looked rather promising. My favorite Buxtehude is played by Harald Vogel, who is a superb "colorist".

BTW, there are three discs on Loft Recordings - from a small collection called "The Bach Circle"-, performed by Vogel, which are highly recommendable (especially the unfindable first volume).

Concur - Vogel is outstanding.

Bulldog

I got a big surprise when I went to the Library this morning - more new entries than I've ever seen before.  New labels include Glossa, Christophorus, Accent, Pan Classics, Ars Produktion, Carus and Coviello.  Right now I'm grooving to Bruggen's new recording of Bach's Mass in B minor on Glossa.

Antoine Marchand

Some nice listenings using my recently acquired subscription to NML:

Ghielmi bros., Bach's Gamba Sonatas (viola da gamba/fortepiano), Ars Musici.

A lovely recital (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven)l by the English keyboardist (period instruments) Martin Souter: "Fantasias and Variations", The Gift of Music.

Some Bach's partitas for harpsichord by the harpsichordist Nicholas Parle on ABC Classics. 

Antoine Marchand

Ricercar Joins the NML (16th November 2010).

It's a great news for the subscribers of the NML, although currently have been uploaded only 14 titles, among them three or four really excellent: Bruhns (cantatas); a recital by Bernard Foccroulle; a set titled "Defense de la basse de viole" and another set titled "Les plaisirs de la table".  :) 

DavidW

I just want to say that nml is cool. :)  It really helps me check out music.  It's easy to make an informed decision about buying a cd if you can listen to the entire thing twice over or more! :)