Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Bulldog on June 21, 2011, 11:31:35 AM
Just today, Brilliant Classics was added to the NML inventory of labels - surprised me very much.  Only 12 titles are now listed; should be interesting to how much larger the total will be.

Wow. I'd imagine they will only be adding Brilliant's original recordings; Newton Classics joined NML last year but only two Newton recordings are available on the library, both old enough to be out of copyright, I think (they're Stokowski).

There are some Brilliant originals I wouldn't mind hearing, like various Dutch keyboardists tackling classical era work or Klara Wurtz playing anything she wants (just enjoyed her Schumann Fantasie this afternoon).

Also added: the Etcetera label, which brings to NML Viviana Sofronitsky's HIP Mozart concerto cycle and a series of Dutch choral music, including three volumes of Sweelinck.

Brian

Brilliant's GMG-approved and Gurn-endorsed album of the Hummel, Dussek and Onslow piano quintets has just been added.

However, a CD I enjoyed just last week (Raoul Sosa playing left-handed piano music) has now disappeared from NML. Not sure why that is.

DavidW

This makes me want to go back to nml... but so many unheard cds in my collection... :'(

Antoine Marchand

So far my only complaint about NML it's that sometimes certain items mysteriously disappear. Today I wanted to compare Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 performed by the Shostakovich Quartet and the Mandelring Quartet, previously available there, but both of them had disappeared.  :(

Brian

Holy sh!t

NaxosMusicLib on Twitter:

It is with great pleasure that we announce the addition of EMI Classics to NML! Includes EMI Classics, Virgin Classics, and Blue Note!

Amazing!

DavidW

Fantastic news Brian!  I really, really need to resubscribe. :)

Brian

Just nine of the new additions to Naxos Music Library... (click to expand images) (and widen your browser to see three on each row... if you're OCD like me  :P )

They very, very clearly haven't got anything resembling the full catalogue online yet, but it is the first day of EMI's collaboration with Naxos Music Library and you can only upload so many things at a time. Surely it goes without saying how exciting this is! A few of these CDs were very far out of print.

EDIT: NML's Twitter rep tells me they expect to have most of the catalogue uploaded by the end of the year, or that is what they're shooting for. But, in her/his words, "SO MANY UPLOADS." ;D

Renfield

That's unexpected and impressive.

Sadly, I suspect many of us here own a bigger portion of the EMI catalogue than they may have uploaded so far. :P But nonetheless, getting the full catalogue online would be a landmark achievement. Bravo, Naxos! :)

Brian

NML has begun uploading the long out-of-print "Composers in Person" series, starting with Milhaud conducting Milhaud. Dozens and dozens of Alban Berg Quartett CDs are uploaded, some in print some not, and they've also just added three of the "Icon" box sets: Cortot, Corelli, and Kempe. The goal as confided to me and now published on a banner ad on the site is to have the complete EMI and Virgin within three months.

There are already about 400 EMI CDs on the site so they're moving quickly!
Now online (click to expand):

rw1883

Any thoughts on Classicsonline vs. NML?  There are a few labels that aren't doubled, but I need to do more research.  Thanks in advance...

Paul

DavidW

Quote from: rw1883 on August 22, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
Any thoughts on Classicsonline vs. NML?  There are a few labels that aren't doubled, but I need to do more research.  Thanks in advance...

Paul

I think that they are pretty much the same thing though inventory wise... because if you go to nml and want to buy an mp3 you'll end up at classicsonline.  Wait a minute... why am I not using classicsonline then!?  It's only $10 a month. >:(

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 22, 2011, 09:59:02 AM
I think that they are pretty much the same thing though inventory wise... because if you go to nml and want to buy an mp3 you'll end up at classicsonline.  Wait a minute... why am I not using classicsonline then!?  It's only $10 a month. >:(

Huh? I didn't know Classicsonline had a $10 a month thing. What does it do? What do you get?

The things I use the sites for are simple...
NML is streaming
Classicsonline is MP3 downloads (like the iTunes store)

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on August 22, 2011, 10:45:08 AM
Huh? I didn't know Classicsonline had a $10 a month thing. What does it do? What do you get?

It is unlimited streaming. :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 22, 2011, 12:39:51 PM
It is unlimited streaming. :)

Oh wow just found that! That must be the same as the old streaming service from Naxos.com - I think I paid $10 a month to stream Naxos (and Marco Polo, BIS, etc) CDs on Naxos.com at something like 64kbps (vs NML's 128). How does the Classicsonline sound compare? I'll stick to NML because I have an institutional login but that is really good to know.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on August 22, 2011, 12:58:47 PM
Oh wow just found that! That must be the same as the old streaming service from Naxos.com - I think I paid $10 a month to stream Naxos (and Marco Polo, BIS, etc) CDs on Naxos.com at something like 64kbps (vs NML's 128). How does the Classicsonline sound compare? I'll stick to NML because I have an institutional login but that is really good to know.

I've already paid Naxos $25, but if I can search and find the same content on classicsonline, I'll pay the $10 and see how the audio quality compares. :)  For NML I'm on the 128k plan.

Brian

Among the 150 albums new to NML today... (click to expand)

DavidW

Brian, I've just searched on three of those and they are also available on classicsonline, so whatever is being added to nml they are getting at the same time! :)  I will be subscribing to classicsonline soon. :) :)

rw1883

I think I'll be combining Classicsonline, MOG, and ClassicalArchives (total of around $25 a month) for a few months.  Although, adding NML is tempting...

DavidW

Quote from: rw1883 on August 24, 2011, 08:18:39 PM
I think I'll be combining Classicsonline, MOG, and ClassicalArchives (total of around $25 a month) for a few months.  Although, adding NML is tempting...

I haven't tried classicalarchives, but thumbs up on the first two! :)

Okay I'm finally reporting back on classicsonline: the catalog might be slightly less than nml, but for everything I look for it is effectively the same.  Both have excellent search engines, both support playlists.  Classicsonline is faster to respond, I don't wait as long for the site to load nor do I have any streaming problems, when I occasionally do on nml.

But nml does trump in classicsonline in two important ways: bitrate, classicsonline streaming is 48k, nml is 64 or 128; apps for smartphones and ipods.  NML has them and classicslonline doesn't.

For me I think that even with those issues, $10/mo is awesome and I think I'll continue with classicsonline and discontinue using nml.

rw1883

I sent a note to Classicsonline about the inability to stream EMI beyond 30-second clips.  They informed me that the EMI releases are for sale, but can only be streamed in full on NML >:(...I wonder if this is a US issue?  Back to the drawing board...