Naxos Music Library

Started by gmstudio, November 06, 2007, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Oh poop I didn't try that!  You're right well nml is the victor then.  I reverse my decision, I'll keep nml and cancel classicsonline.  That is a pitty.

Holden

I've just been touring the classicsonline website and it's got a heap of historical music in it that is very hard to source without paying an exorbitant fee. So if I sign up do the 30 secs automatically turn into full track streaming? If so then I am a starter as the majority of my listening is via my PC anyway. Any caveats that I should be aware of? $10 per month is a heck of a lot better than $25.
Cheers

Holden

DavidW

Quote from: Holden on August 26, 2011, 02:24:35 PM
I've just been touring the classicsonline website and it's got a heap of historical music in it that is very hard to source without paying an exorbitant fee. So if I sign up do the 30 secs automatically turn into full track streaming? If so then I am a starter as the majority of my listening is via my PC anyway. Any caveats that I should be aware of? $10 per month is a heck of a lot better than $25.

The EMI albums stay as 30 second samples on classicsonline.  Since the bitrate is 48k for streaming, and the EMI problem... I think that the $15 nml 64k plan is probably the best plan of the three.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 26, 2011, 04:19:23 PM
The EMI albums stay as 30 second samples on classicsonline.  Since the bitrate is 48k for streaming, and the EMI problem... I think that the $15 nml 64k plan is probably the best plan of the three.

If you're listening through computer speakers and not headphones, the 64k plan will do just fine - some clicking sounds on inferior recordings of high-register piano work (e.g. 90s Jando) and constricted climaxes, but they didn't put me off in my 3 or so years as a 64k subscriber.

Holden

OK, signed up for COL but there are a couple of problems including the EMI tracks only playing 30 sec clips as mentioned earlier. However, this is not the only label I can't play for more than 30 seconds. I wanted to listen to the Michelangeli Blue Box and that only gives 30 second clips. The message says that the files cannot be downloaded because of copyright restrictions in my country. The same goes fopr some other labels as well. I thought that it was only the US that had this issue yet I am in Australia. So the question is, if I switch to NML will I now be able to listen to those tracks in their entirety?
Cheers

Holden

Brian

It's freaking Christmas over at Naxos Music Library.
(click to expand)

Oddly, given the Handley box is called "Champion of English Music," 2 of the 5 CDs are given over to non-English repertoire: Bruch and Sibelius concertos, Mussorgsky, the Polovtsian Dances.

Lethevich

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2011, 08:23:46 AM
Oddly, given the Handley box is called "Champion of English Music," 2 of the 5 CDs are given over to non-English repertoire: Bruch and Sibelius concertos, Mussorgsky, the Polovtsian Dances.

It's nice that they included some repertoire of this type - apparently he found himself frustrated at being pidgeonholed as a "British music expert", and felt that he had plenty to say about Beethoven, for example. He has a fine Rachmaninoff 2nd symphony which has done the rounds on the small labels - not sure who originally recorded it.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2011, 08:23:46 AM
It's freaking Christmas over at Naxos Music Library.

Yes! It's Christmas at NML!  :D

Right now I'm listening to Alicia de Larrocha. I didn't have listened to this pianist before, but I loved her "touch" from the first notes.

Bulldog

Quote from: Holden on September 02, 2011, 03:57:47 PM
OK, signed up for COL but there are a couple of problems including the EMI tracks only playing 30 sec clips as mentioned earlier. However, this is not the only label I can't play for more than 30 seconds. I wanted to listen to the Michelangeli Blue Box and that only gives 30 second clips. The message says that the files cannot be downloaded because of copyright restrictions in my country. The same goes fopr some other labels as well. I thought that it was only the US that had this issue yet I am in Australia. So the question is, if I switch to NML will I now be able to listen to those tracks in their entirety?

Just pay your money and each track is there in its entirety.  Naxos doesn't mess around with samples.

Brian

Quote from: Bulldog on September 12, 2011, 08:57:37 AM
Just pay your money and each track is there in its entirety.  Naxos doesn't mess around with samples.

He's asking (I think?) whether Australia is subject to the Naxos Historical copyright blackout. I'm not sure...

Brian

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2011, 10:15:10 AM
He's asking (I think?) whether Australia is subject to the Naxos Historical copyright blackout. I'm not sure...

If this is Holden's question, I have an answer from Naxos Music Library:

"Are Australian customers subject to historical recording blackouts from copyright on NML?"
"Nope, not on most things. There may be a few odd restricted titles, but Australia should be mostly clear."

Holden

OK, I cancelled CoL and signed up with NML (twice the price) and am listening to the Alban Bergs play LvB 4Tets - lovely so that solves the EMI issue. Can I safely assume that if it is on CoL then NML has it too?

I'm just about to check out the ABM.

As an aside, when I signed up with CoL I used my Gmail address. I wonder if it thought that I was a resident of the USA?

Saw this when I clicked on the ABM

All Naxos Historical, Naxos Classical Archives, Naxos Jazz, Folk and Rock Legends and Naxos Nostalgia titles are not available
to subscribers in the United States and some titles may not be available to subscribers in Australia, Singapore, and Japan because these countries have copyright laws
that provide or may provide for terms of protection for sound recordings that differ from the rest of the world.
Cheers

Holden

Brian

Warner Classics has joined Naxos Music Library.

Sammy

Quote from: Brian on July 02, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Warner Classics has joined Naxos Music Library.

Seemed like there were hundreds of new (to NML) Teldec recordings this morning.

eyeresist

Let's hope they get the Teldec originals rather than the patchy Warners remasters.

Holden

It looks like they've got both.

Some interesting recordings for me that I've wanted to hear.

Barenboim - LvB Symphonies

Harnoncourt - Bach Cantatas
Cheers

Holden

Brian

Finlandia and Polskie Nagrania have joined. The former includes Berglund's last Sibelius cycle; the latter a live recital recording of Michelangeli in Warsaw, 1955. Scarlatti, Beethoven Op 2 No 3, Schumann, and extras.

Brian

Nonesuch has joined Naxos Music Library. Wow.

Wakefield

Quote from: Brian on August 15, 2012, 12:27:00 PM

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this.

I recommend to listen to the Beethoven cello sonatas by Bylsma and Bilson (at least vol. 2 available there).

I think I will give a chance to Goode playing Schubert.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 15, 2012, 12:27:00 PM
Linn Records has joined!