What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siedler

I decided to resurrect this thread from the old board. Since many orchestras and opera houses have announced their next season, what concerts are you planning to attend in season 07/08?

Let's see:
Lahti Symphony Orchestra just announced their new season, so I hope to attend these concerts:

Thu 13.9.2007 / Okko Kamu, conductor Ida Falk Winland, soprano
Schumann: Julius Caesar Overture / Mozart: Arias / Mussorgsky (orch. Gortchakov): Pictures at an Exhibition
Thu 11.10.2007 / Osmo Vänskä, conductor / Martin Fröst, clarinet
Walton: Henry V Suite / Aho: Clarinet Concerto (Finnish première) / Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Suite
Thu 18.10.2007 / Juraj Valčuha, conductor / Peter Jablonski, piano
Suk: Serenade / Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations / Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini / Dvořák: Symphony No. 6
Thu 1.11.2007 / Hannu Lintu, conductor / Boris Berezovsky, piano / Vladimir Stopitchev, viola / Laulupuu Choir
Berlioz: King Lear Overture / Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Rogaliov: Et resurrexit / Stravinsky: Firebird
Thu 8.11.2007 / David Porcelijn, conductor / Miriam Fried, violin / Kalevi Kiviniemi, organ
Beethoven: Violin Concerto / Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 'Organ Symphony'
Thu 22.11.2007 / Giordano Bellincampi, conductor / Antti Siirala, piano
Weber: Der Freischütz Overture / Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 / Schumann: Symphony No. 4
Thu 13.12.2007 / Jukka-Pekka Saraste, conductor
Brahms: Symphony No. 3 / Brahms: Symphony No. 2

Thu 31.1.2008 / Carlos Kalmar, conductor / Lilli Paasikivi, mezzo-soprano / Jussi Myllys, baritone / Ain Anger, bass / Dominante Choir
Berlioz: Romeo and Juliet
Thu 7.2.2008 at 19 / Yan Pascal Tortelier, conductor / Ronald Brautigam, piano
Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Winter's Tale / Mendelssohn: Piano Concerto No. 1 / Schumann: Konzert-Allegro mit Introduktion / Hindemith: Sinfonische Metamorphosen
Thu 21.2.2008 at 19 / Atso Almila, conductor / Jyrki Lasonpalo, violin
Almila: Symphony No. 3 (world première performance) / Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto / Grieg: Symphonic Dances
Thu 3.4.2008 / Andris Nelsons, conductor / Baiba Skride, violin
R. Strauss: Macbeth / Britten: Violin Concerto / Shostakovich: Hamlet, suite from film score

And then opera (Finnish National Opera):
Soile Isokoski – Lieder recital (Strauss / Kuula / Grieg)
Bizet - Carmen
Puccini - La Bohème

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Siedler on April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM
Since many orchestras and opera houses have announced their next season, what concerts are you planning to attend in season 07/08?

I'm not looking so far ahead yet. I've got to get through next week first:

24.04 at the BASF Feierabendhaus in Ludwigshafen:

Sallinen Shadows
Sibelius Violin Concerto
Svendsen Symphony 2

27.04 in Mainz:

Sallinen Kammermusik
Prokofiev Violin Concerto 2
Atterberg Symphony 3

Both concerts feature Lisa Batiashvili violin, Ari Rasilainen conducting the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Choo Choo

Nothing booked yet for 07-08 - but still have a couple of piano recitals upcoming in June:

6th June Wigmore Hall (London):  Sokolov plays Schubert & Scriabin
- very much looking forward to this.

12 June Barbican (ditto):  Pollini plays Chopin & Liszt.
- will try to take the opportunity to nag him (again) about the non-appearance of the rest of his Beethoven cycle.

Actually I just realised, I do have tickets for Sokolov again in London in May 2008 (no idea what he'll be playing.)

MishaK

May 15

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink, conductor
Robert Chen, violin

Beethoven -   Coriolan Overture
Lutoslawski -   Chain 2
Bruckner -   Symphony No. 7

;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 21, 2007, 07:38:32 AM
May 15

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink, conductor
Robert Chen, violin

Beethoven -   Coriolan Overture
Lutoslawski -   Chain 2
Bruckner -   Symphony No. 7

;D

If I were in Chicago next month, I'd be grinning too.

Sarge

bobby quine

Friday April 27: Anderszewski playing Bartok's 3rd Piano Concerto. With the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra and  Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducting. Berwald Hall, Stockholm.

Monday April 30:  Sergey Khachatryan playing Bach's Chaconne from Violin Partita no 2, Franck's Violin Sonata and Shostakovich's Sonata for Violin and Piano. Carnegie Hall.

Thursday May 3: Renée Fleming, The Los Angeles Philharmonic and Esa-Pekka Salonen: songs by Strauss and Korngold. Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Suite. Lincoln Center.

Friday & Saturday May 5 and 6: Look and Listen festival.

Thursday May 31: Mahler's Symphony no 5 with Gustavo Dudamel conducting the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra. Stockholm Concert Hall.

Thom

I realise the thread is about concerts yet to come but I want to report about the concert I attended yesterday evening in the Concertgebouw. Maxim Vengerov was to play with the UBS Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra. Indeed he did play a Mozart Violin Concerto to begin with, then he conducted the Kammersinfonie op. 110a by Shostakovich, very moving because he dedicated this in his introduction to Rostropovich, whom he called his beloved mentor. After the break however he started with a short announcement: due to some pain in his sholder he was not able to complete the programme. He did conduct the sinfonia concertante and symphony 29 by Mozart but I didn't come to see Vengerov conducting. Anyway, it still was a nice concert, great music, and - what the heck - I did see the great man perform a concerto by Mozart!

X

Guido

Manchester international cello festival 5th May

Programme

BBC Philharmonic, conductor Gianandrea Noseda

Bridge Oration  -- Colin Carr

Britten Cello Symphon  -- Natalia Gutman

- Interval -

Elgar Cello Concerto  --  Ralph Kirshbaum

Walton Cello Concerto  --  Yo-Yo Ma

I can hardly wait!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Bunny

I have tickets for the Philadelphia Orchestra doing the Mahler 2nd at Carnegie Hall in early May.  I am really, really, really looking forward to this one!  If there's a cancellation or change of program I am going to be bitterly disappointed.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

bhodges

Quote from: Bunny on April 28, 2007, 11:26:26 AM
I have tickets for the Philadelphia Orchestra doing the Mahler 2nd at Carnegie Hall in early May.  I am really, really, really looking forward to this one!  If there's a cancellation or change of program I am going to be bitterly disappointed.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm going to this, too, and very much looking forward to it.  A live performance of this is almost always an event.  The last time I heard it was with Gergiev and the Kirov (also at Carnegie) about two years ago, and they did a beautiful job with it.

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

This Friday, at the Rosengarten in Mannheim, Hilary Hahn is giving a recital. Just got confirmation our tickets are in the mail. She's playing Mozart and Beethoven, I think...not that it matters. She could play scales all night and I'd still be there ;D

Sarge

Greta

This Thursday:

Wagner's Greatest
Claus Peter Flor, conductor
Houston Symphony

"Tannhäuser"
Overture
Arrival of the Guests at Wartburg

"Lohengrin"
Prelude to Act III
Wedding March
Lohengrin's Narrative

Overture to The Flying Dutchman

"Der fliegende Holländer"
Norwegian Sailors' Chorus
Erik's Cavatina

"Die Walküre"
The Ride of the Valkyries
Siegmund's Love Song

"Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg "
Prelude
Walther's Prize Song
Wach auf! es nahet gen den Tag

Looking forward to this, I've never seen him conduct.

And next Monday:

Houston Chamber Orchestra

Mozart - Piano Concerto in A Major, K. 488
Michael Lowe, conductor and piano

Portraits - Joel McNeely
Written for his wife, LA Chamber Orch. concertmaster Margaret Batjer
Composer as conductor and his wife as soloist

This is neat as he's a fine film composer/conductor and this is his first big concert piece, and his wife is fantastic, actually she recorded with Hilary Hahn on her Bach Violin Concertos CD.

QuoteThursday May 3: Renée Fleming, The Los Angeles Philharmonic and Esa-Pekka Salonen: songs by Strauss and Korngold. Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Suite. Lincoln Center.

Ooh, I envy you that one! ;D 

Next season some nice concerts here are Dutoit/Argerich with the UBS Verbier Festival Orchestra doing Berlioz and Prokofiev, and later Houston is doing Carmina Burana and Mahler's 2nd, but I have no idea if I'll be here then as school may be finished for me. ;)

Mozart

When I go back to San Diego I'm going to Berliloz Requiem and then a whole Beethoven concert with the prometheus ov, the violin concerto, and the eroica. A nice end to the SD symphony season!

I might also go to the marriage of figaro but I hate being in a room full of equally pompous asses who have the means to dress better than me so I cant go to the opera alone....Then again its my first and favorite opera....

Cato

Bruckner's 8th Symphony in the Roman Catholic cathedral in Toledo, performed by the Toledo Symphony.

Playing a Bruckner symphony there once a year has become a new tradition for the orchestra.

And that's in Buckeye Land, dudes, not that other town in Old Europe!   ;D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on May 02, 2007, 11:56:01 AM
Bruckner's 8th Symphony in the Roman Catholic cathedral in Toledo, performed by the Toledo Symphony.

Playing a Bruckner symphony there once a year has become a new tradition for the orchestra.

And that's in Buckeye Land, dudes, not that other town in Old Europe!   ;D

Amazing. Toledo has an annual Bruckner festival!...albeit a very small one  ;D  I would never have guessed...or maybe I would have: come to think of it, I believe Toledo Bass has mentioned it before.

By the way, congratulations on your return home. I take it you are a native Buckeye?

Sarge

Bunny

Quote from: bhodges on April 30, 2007, 09:30:58 AM
I'm going to this, too, and very much looking forward to it.  A live performance of this is almost always an event.  The last time I heard it was with Gergiev and the Kirov (also at Carnegie) about two years ago, and they did a beautiful job with it.

--Bruce

Let's keep our fingers crossed!  I'm praying for great soloists, great playing and serendipitous synchronicity.  And world peace, of course. ;)

Lilas Pastia

Next season, I'll attend 3 Bruckner performances. :D

The Montreal Symphony Orchestra in 2 (Blomstedt) and 5 (Nagano).
The Greater Montreal Metropolitan Orchestra in the 9th (Yannick Nézet-Séguin). NZ replaces Gergiev in Rotterdam in 2007-08, but will remain the OMGM's MD :D

Steve

Next Season (Lyric)

La Traviata (Flemming)
La Boheme

canninator

I was really excited to see the Zehetmair String Quartet plus a.n.other do the Bruckner and Schubert String Quintets but the cellist has had a road accident so its going to be rescheduled. CSBO is coming to do Sibelius 5 soon. This is all at the Sage in Gateshead, a lovely venue but suffers from only having a Sinfonia and quite conservative musical programmers (although that is changing a bit now).

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2007, 03:24:26 PM
Amazing. Toledo has an annual Bruckner festival!...albeit a very small one  ;D  I would never have guessed...or maybe I would have: come to think of it, I believe Toledo Bass has mentioned it before.

By the way, congratulations on your return home. I take it you are a native Buckeye?

Sarge

Yes, born in Dayton, the true home of aviation, not that interloper area called Upper South Carolina!   ;D

And I am assuming ToledoBass will be sawing away furiously for the Bruckner 8th this month!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)