Author Topic: Thirty three and a third.  (Read 130877 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: Thirty three and a third.
« Reply #1380 on: April 08, 2022, 10:31:59 PM »
Spinning.

Supraphon recorded lots of Britten but less so RVW, in fact Concerto Accademico is the only recording I'm aware of. Nora Grumlikova plays as to a manor born and her Britten concerto remains my top choice. Not sure how Peter Maag found himself working behind the "Iron Curtain". Although he is little mentioned today he was a important conductor on Decca's roster.
One of my favourite Supraphon LPs
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1381 on: April 12, 2022, 10:07:01 PM »
Spinning.

Liapunov: Rhapsody on Ukrainian Themes.

Not the most sophisticated of recordings (Vox 1975) but the bass drum featured in Liapunov's score certainly makes it's presence felt as well as heard!   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1382 on: April 14, 2022, 01:01:34 AM »
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23 KV 488 [Haskil/Sacher] Post in 33 ⅓ thread.

Delving into my 10” collection which is something that I seldom do now, for some reason.

This one was recorded in 1955, I think, but was definitely released in 1956 as part of the Mozart Jubilee Edition 1956 to mark the 200th anniversary of Mozart’s birth. The final movement in particular is a sparkling performance by Haskil. The orchestral accompaniment sounds a bit lean in the recording.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1383 on: April 14, 2022, 01:06:15 AM »

Delving into my 10” collection which is something that I seldom do now, for some reason.

This one was recorded in 1955, I think, but was definitely released in 1956 as part of the Mozart Jubilee Edition 1956 to mark the 200th anniversary of Mozart’s birth. The final movement in particular is a sparkling performance by Haskil. The orchestral accompaniment sounds a bit lean in the recording.
Do you have the specialized 10-inch wand from Okki Nokki?  I have so few 10-inch LPs that I haven't bothered to order one.

Clara Haskil was a fine pianist!  I have some of her recordings--some on LP and some on CD.   :)

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1384 on: April 14, 2022, 01:09:53 AM »
Do you have the specialized 10-inch wand from Okki Nokki?  I have so few 10-inch LPs that I haven't bothered to order one.

Clara Haskil was a fine pianist!  I have some of her recordings--some on LP and some on CD.   :)

PD

No, I did consider it, PD, but I would have less than 100 10" so I never bothered.

Agreed on Haskil.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1385 on: April 14, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »

In 2005 DG released what it called an expanded version of its 1956 Mozart Jubilee Edition. It contains performances of K459, recorded in 1955 and K415, recorded in 1960 with Clara Haskil. K415 (No 13 in C major) is accompanied by the Lucerne Festival Strings conducted by Rudolf Baumgartner. The booklet says 'The trend towards reduced orchestral forces culminated in the Festival Strings being pared down to the bone in 1960 to only 13 players...producing a dry sound that is unfashionable today...'

Presumably this was Haskil's preference, I don't know how much it applies to earlier recordings. She had hopes of recording a complete cycle but it never happened.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1386 on: April 14, 2022, 03:58:06 AM »
In 2005 DG released what it called an expanded version of its 1956 Mozart Jubilee Edition. It contains performances of K459, recorded in 1955 and K415, recorded in 1960 with Clara Haskil. K415 (No 13 in C major) is accompanied by the Lucerne Festival Strings conducted by Rudolf Baumgartner. The booklet says 'The trend towards reduced orchestral forces culminated in the Festival Strings being pared down to the bone in 1960 to only 13 players...producing a dry sound that is unfashionable today...'

Presumably this was Haskil's preference, I don't know how much it applies to earlier recordings. She had hopes of recording a complete cycle but it never happened.

Thank you very much for that interesting information.

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1387 on: April 15, 2022, 12:42:27 AM »
Thanks Biffo. Superb info.

Glad I ordered the 7” and 10” adaptors with the HumminGuru. A pain to use, but I’m halfway through my 10” now. Getting there.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1388 on: April 21, 2022, 03:44:53 AM »
Last night, on the kitchen island, Yup, that's a glass of pilsner beer:

Subchassis swap. The old Series II on the right and the new Series V on the left.

Also splashed out on a refurbished full oak cabinet. Has been on my wishlist for 15 years. Took the plunge because of the shipment costs across the pond. Now or never, right?

Click to enlarge.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:48:28 AM by Valentino »

• Veteran member
« Reply #1389 on: April 28, 2022, 04:37:46 AM »
Last night, on the kitchen island, Yup, that's a glass of pilsner beer:

Subchassis swap. The old Series II on the right and the new Series V on the left.

Also splashed out on a refurbished full oak cabinet. Has been on my wishlist for 15 years. Took the plunge because of the shipment costs across the pond. Now or never, right?

Click to enlarge.
Looks great!  What kind of cabinet/table do you have it on top of?

PD

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1390 on: April 29, 2022, 05:31:17 AM »
It’s wall mounted actually. I made the shelf out of the sturdiest supports I could find and a bespoke glass plate.

The cabinet is Montana, a Danish classic, too soft for 20 kg turntable. Actually the floor is too soft as well, even for a suspended Sota.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1391 on: April 29, 2022, 06:23:41 AM »
It’s wall mounted actually. I made the shelf out of the sturdiest supports I could find and a bespoke glass plate.

The cabinet is Montana, a Danish classic, too soft for 20 kg turntable. Actually the floor is too soft as well, even for a suspended Sota.
Oh, interesting!  So, you used a (I'm guessing) a thick glass plate as a shelf for the tt?

And you're not alone re floors.   :( The cabinet is, fortunately pretty heavy (particularly with a tube amp and pre-amp in it) which helps somewhat.  So, no doing the jitterbug in the same room with records playing then?  ;)

PD

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1392 on: April 29, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
Oh, we can dance. The Sota isolation is legendary. Trouble was that the suspension was moving sideways, plus the Montana cabinet (12mm MDF) couldn’t support the weight of the thing. Photo of shelf and supports soon. In the meantime have a look at somebody else’s suspension at work:

https://youtu.be/BDZDBY4jZu4

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1393 on: April 29, 2022, 09:43:50 PM »

As promised. The business side of things don’t tend to look good.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1394 on: April 30, 2022, 03:36:16 AM »
Oh, we can dance. The Sota isolation is legendary. Trouble was that the suspension was moving sideways, plus the Montana cabinet (12mm MDF) couldn’t support the weight of the thing. Photo of shelf and supports soon. In the meantime have a look at somebody else’s suspension at work:

https://youtu.be/BDZDBY4jZu4
Wow!  Quite impressive!  I thought that I heard the record skip once, but then again, I don't know that recording.  Still, quite something!  So, was something a bit too big in your new setup (as in things were shifting inside)?

As promised. The business side of things don’t tend to look good.
It looks fine!  Don't be so hard on yourself!

PD

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #1395 on: April 30, 2022, 04:30:12 AM »
No, nothing too big. Just my house and stereo cabinet bring too soft. I saw the suspension moving about and I didn’t want that.

He manages to skip the record in the video, Do not try to do the same with a Rega or a Thorens even. No go.

Have been listening to the Böhm DG box with Mozart symphonies 25-41 lately, working my way through it. Quite entertaining. Böhm knew how to Mozart.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:09:52 PM by Valentino »

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1396 on: May 06, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »
Spinning.

A magical performance of Norfolk Rhapsody No.1 from Sir Adrian. The opening weirdly had echoes of Mahler's 1st Symphony opening, I thought. My copy is an early large dog label.

Glazer plays Satie straighter then Ciccolini which I prefer. A UK pressing from Decca.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1397 on: May 22, 2022, 12:02:17 AM »
Sibelius: 2nd Symphony.

Not Barbirolli's EMI recording but a latter one which was part of the superb set of various works which Charles Gerhardt (producer) and Kenneth Wilkinson (sound engineer) made with the RPO under the best conductors of the day commissioned by Readers Digest.
My copy on Italian pressed RCA is low down in the food chain. Chesky released the whole set on LP at premium prices for the audiophile market. I have a few of the other Chesky releases and although nice pressings I'm not sure they are worth the extra outlay over standard issues.

A typical Barbirolli performance being rich, warm and on the slow side.