What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons, Mookalafalas, AnotherSpin and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Wilhelm Kienzl: Piano Trio in F minor
Wilhelm Jeral: Sérénade Viennoise, for piano trio

On another occasion I had listened to Sylvio Lazzari's Piano Trio from this disc finding it superb. I didn't recall that the other pieces on the disc were still unknown to me. Well, I'm glad to remedy that because the Kienzl (especially) is a thoroughly charming creation, it just oozes lovely melodies and good humor with total finesse. I was completely delighted by that work. The Jeral is a shorter piece, entertaining as well, but not at she same level as the Kienzl and the Lazzari. A stunning disc.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

John McCabe playing Hindemith: Ludus Tonalis and Suite "1922".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mapman

This evening I've been watching the first round of this year's Malko competition for young conductors. It's fascinating to watch such a wide variety of conductors rehearse an orchestra. The pieces for this round are:
1. W. A. Mozart: Symphony No. 35 in D Major Kv. 385 'Haffner' 1. mov. (Bärenreiter)
2. J. Haydn: Symphony No. 49 in f-minor Hob. I:49 1. mov. (Doblinger/ R. Landon)
3. L.v. Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in Bb-Major 1. mov. (Bärenreiter)

Madiel

Mozart: Missa longa in C major, K.262/246a

There are only 2 volumes so far but this is supposed to become a complete set of Mozart's masses. I'm a total novice to this music, but I'm finding this performance very appealing - nice energy, a good scale sounding neither thin nor overly grand. I'd be interested to know if others have heard this album (or volume 2) and what they thought.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

classicalgeek

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2024, 04:53:13 AMGeorge Lloyd (1913-1998).

Disc 3.
Symphony No. 4 'The Arctic' (1945-6).
Albany Symphony Orchestra.  Recorded in Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy, NY  1987. Engineer: Roy Kendle.

Overture to 'John Socman'
BBC Philharmonic.  Recorded by arrangement with the BBC in Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester 1988.
Engineer Tony Faulkner.

There is not much to say as: FABULOUS!

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 11, 2024, 02:37:01 AMUgh. Stupid technology.

Having said that, the new Lyrita symphony releases have been on lots in our house in recent says, so yes 😁😆

The new re-releases of the Lloyd Symphonies are definitely on my radar - even though I have a couple of the individual discs already. It would be wonderful if Lyrita would re-release the piano concertos and choral works as well!

TD:
Brahms
Symphony no. 4
Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig
Herbert Blomstedt

(on CD)

One of the finest Brahms 4s I've heard! Especially the first two movements.

Robert Schumann
*Piano Concerto
Edward MacDowell
#Piano Concerto no. 2
Van Cliburn, piano
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
*Fritz Reiner
#Walter Hendl

(on CD)

Curious to listen to this since when Hurwitz was reviewing the Reiner RCA Box this morning, he kind of dismissed this disc. Well, I happened to really enjoy it - especially the MacDowell, a work I wasn't familiar with. Really good stuff, reminds me of Saint-Saens (whose Piano Concertos I adore!) in spots.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Madiel

Shostakovich: Six Poems of Marina Tsvetayeva (orchestral version), op.143a

Everything you'd expect from a (very) late Shostakovich work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Le Merle Bleu

I've started working through these pieces by looking up the birds and landscapes mentioned in the booklet, trying to imagine the scenes that inspired them.

Que

The recordings by The Sound and The Fury were hit & miss....  But this is IMO by far their best recording.
Unfortunately volume 2 never came, and so we are left with 4 masses recorded out of the 9 masses by Pipelare that survived. Perhaps Beauty Farm could record the remainder?

steve ridgway