What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, not edward (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2024, 09:57:31 PM

The main drawback of this otherwise great recording is the participation of counter tenor Dominique Visse, who stains this record with his horrible voice.

Yes, very often the counters are to blame for rejecting a recording, Visse is a case in point.....horrible!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

prémont

Quote from: Harry on April 23, 2024, 11:27:26 PMYes, very often the counters are to blame for rejecting a recording, Visse is a case in point.....horrible!

My first association is a Danish expression "ja, til visse" which means something like "yes indeed".
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

AnotherSpin

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 23, 2024, 10:49:44 PMArvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa

Thought I'd better give it a try as I'd never heard any of his works. I'm not so keen on minimalism but found it OK, Schnittke on the prepared piano maintained my interest.

There's not so much in common between Schnittke and Pärt, but if the former led you to the latter, so be it.

Harry

Silvas de Sirenas.
Music for Vihuela da Mano, by Narvaez & Valderrabano.
Recorded 2019.

This is quite an obscure recording. First of all, Thomas C. Boysen is unknown to me, secondly, and unknown label, thirdly no back cover to find, thus this image is only available on Apple music, or Amazon. No PDF file attached either. Anyways, the performance is very good as is the sound. Not composers I hear that often, so a good listen on all counts.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 23, 2024, 02:16:59 PMTwo eminently lyric quartets by this Lithuanian composer (1884-1941). The First Quartet is imbued with delightful rustic gestures. The Second Quartet is less memorable yet very beautiful.

I keep meaning to play this, so it is good to be prompted! Appreciate the intro...

Listening now!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

Something I picked up in Dutton's Spring clearance sale so cheap and very cheerful.  Heads up to Harry after his recent enoyment of the Chandos series of English Cello works - this is a lovely appendix to that.  Different artists but very well played.  Most of the music is very immediaely attractive and relatively undemanding but I must admit I was a bit surprised just how good it is in absolute terms.  Very well played and something of a find.... especially the Bainton Sonata

AnotherSpin