All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on April 15, 2024, 09:54:46 AMI don't know.  The ads say they do.  Some chemical or another is included, or maybe not.

Bleach or charcoal, I think. Whether there is a perceptible effect is hard to quantify.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 09:59:11 AMBleach or charcoal, I think. Whether there is a perceptible effect is hard to quantify.

A pearly white smile is priceless.  Purchasers appear to believe the products work, so that is good enough.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 09:33:19 AMThere is something to it, but you take it too far, in my opinion. It is a well known experience that people who settle in the U.S. (and not just from the Soviet Union) find it disconcerting to go to the supermarket and find, for instance, an entire wall of toothpaste. Too many choices and they are all the same (maybe two categories, with and without fluoride). It is disconcerting even for a native of the U.S. like me. But being able to choose from dozens of recordings of Mahler's 9th symphony at no marginal cost does not cause me any inconvenience or stress.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Paradox of Choice.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 15, 2024, 10:28:50 AMIf you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Paradox of Choice.

I haven't read it, but I think I may have read a review of it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 09:33:19 AMThere is something to it, but you take it too far, in my opinion. It is a well known experience that people who settle in the U.S. (and not just from the Soviet Union) find it disconcerting to go to the supermarket and find, for instance, an entire wall of toothpaste. Too many choices and they are all the same (maybe two categories, with and without fluoride). It is disconcerting even for a native of the U.S. like me. But being able to choose from dozens of recordings of Mahler's 9th symphony at no marginal cost does not cause me any inconvenience or stress.
It's mind boggling at times!  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Are the recordings of Mahler's 9th Symphony really different? The record companies executives will say yes, critics will readily confirm. The other question is, how many of these versions do you need at any given moment of time? And there is only this moment.

You and I look at the ability to choose in different ways. Ultimately, it all comes down to the ability to distinguish between what is desired and what is necessary.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Todd on April 15, 2024, 09:38:57 AMFour categories: with/without fluoride; with/without whiteners.  Intangible product differentiation must flourish so that marketing folks stay employed.

There's also a difference in the place of manufacture.

A few years ago, I bought Japanese toothbrushes in Singapore that were claimed to clean without toothpaste, just with a little water. I didn't like the way they worked. The minimalist design was much more impressive.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 15, 2024, 11:03:52 PMAre the recordings of Mahler's 9th Symphony really different? The record companies executives will say yes, critics will readily confirm. The other question is, how many of these versions do you need at any given moment of time? And there is only this moment.

You and I look at the ability to choose in different ways. Ultimately, it all comes down to the ability to distinguish between what is desired and what is necessary.

I don't know how many I "need," but I have never listened to a recording of Mahler 9 that wasn't unique in some way, or which didn't bring out a musical line that I had not noticed before.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 11:48:29 AMI haven't read it, but I think I may have read a review of it.

I haven't read this book, and I'm not likely to, the answer to the freedom of choice question is pretty clear to me. On another note, I found this excerpt from a Goodreads review funny. Quote: "Whether we're buying a pair of jeans, [...] decisions have become increasingly complex due to the overwhelming abundance of choice." Wait a minute, real jeans are no longer available to the average consumer. Levi's produces anywhere but the US some sorry rags that have little to do with the original product of the mid-20th century.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 11:32:42 PMI don't know how many I "need," but I have never listened to a recording of Mahler 9 that wasn't unique in some way, or which didn't bring out a musical line that I had not noticed before.

I have no doubt that if you listen to the same Mahler 9th recording more than once, you will hear something new each time.