On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 09:45:12 AM@Spotted Horses

I just did some quick calculations:  For a $10 CD, that would mean $4.29 going to Amazon (and not taking into calculations what fees Amazon would charge if the seller wanted them to warehouse the item and ship it for them). 

10 * 0.15
= 1.5

10 * 0.15 + 0.99 + 1.8
= 4.29

PD

p.s.  Just saw your post whilst I was typing mine.  I don't know...perhaps. :(

I think you are correct, the referral fee and closing fee are both included, but for a high volume seller there would be no $0.99 referral fee, but you would have the $39.99 flat rate per month.

If you ship yourself, you get to keep the $3.99 standard shipping fee for a CD, which may exceed the actual cost.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 13, 2024, 10:14:00 AMI think you are correct, the referral fee and closing fee are both included, but for a high volume seller there would be no $0.99 referral fee, but you would have the $39.99 flat rate per month.

If you ship yourself, you get to keep the $3.99 standard shipping fee for a CD, which may exceed the actual cost.
I read elsewhere (not on Amazon's website) that apparently if the item is returned, the seller is still out the referral fee (Ouch!).  I could see though that it could help to keep disreputable sellers off of Amazon.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: JBS on May 13, 2024, 08:59:48 AMAs opposed to Arkivmusic, which twice this year I've had to badger about items supposedly in stock, but never shipped.

Yeah I don't use Arkiv anymore for that reason, they are just unreliable.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 13, 2024, 10:14:00 AMIf you ship yourself, you get to keep the $3.99 standard shipping fee for a CD, which may exceed the actual cost.

That is false.  I used to sell on Amazon back in the day.  They do not give the sellers the full $3.99.  They usually would give me $2.20 (and by the time I quit they were giving even less!), which is actually not enough.  I remembered on Ebay I would just set it to $2.99 and it would cover everything (for selling a cd).

On Ebay, selling (which I still currently do) is wonderful.  Small fries don't have to pay fees anymore, and you can charge the shipping fee directly to the buyer and get the shipping label right through Ebay.  Just easy, and you get everything.  You really can't beat that.

And as PD as shown that roughly 50% claim I made is actually not much of an exaggeration.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2024, 12:20:28 PMThat is false.  I used to sell on Amazon back in the day.  They do not give the sellers the full $3.99.  They usually would give me $2.20 (and by the time I quit they were giving even less!), which is actually not enough.  I remembered on Ebay I would just set it to $2.99 and it would cover everything (for selling a cd).

On Ebay, selling (which I still currently do) is wonderful.  Small fries don't have to pay fees anymore, and you can charge the shipping fee directly to the buyer and get the shipping label right through Ebay.  Just easy, and you get everything.  You really can't beat that.

And as PD as shown that roughly 50% claim I made is actually not much of an exaggeration.

Apparently it's gotten more costly since I used to sell a few things on amazon. I gave up because they notified me I'd have to supply documentation, which seem to be for validation of tax reporting. I haven't sold anything on eBay for ages, either. When I relocated I sold 3000 CDs to a dumpster, which was easy.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2024, 12:20:28 PMThat is false.  I used to sell on Amazon back in the day.  They do not give the sellers the full $3.99.  They usually would give me $2.20 (and by the time I quit they were giving even less!), which is actually not enough.  I remembered on Ebay I would just set it to $2.99 and it would cover everything (for selling a cd).

So, is eBay making it's money through commercial sellers?  And, wow, so were you shipping items out yourself (as in from your home, etc.)?  If so, were they taking a cut of that?  And when did you last list anything on them (Just curious as to when this was and has Amazon changed things since then)?

PD
Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 13, 2024, 12:34:10 PMApparently it's gotten more costly since I used to sell a few things on amazon. I gave up because they notified me I'd have to supply documentation, which seem to be for validation of tax reporting. I haven't sold anything on eBay for ages, either. When I relocated I sold 3000 CDs to a dumpster, which was easy.
Dang!  I wish that I'd known you then!  :( We could have worked something out.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 12:36:57 PMSo, is eBay making it's money through commercial sellers?  And, wow, so were you shipping items out yourself (as in from your home, etc.)?  If so, were they taking a cut of that?  And when did you last list anything on them (Just curious as to when this was and has Amazon changed things since then)?

Yup, yes and no they took no cut except when I paid to promote an item.  Just a few weeks ago for Ebay (I'm not clear what you're asking).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 13, 2024, 12:44:14 PMYup, yes and no they took no cut except when I paid to promote an item.  Just a few weeks ago for Ebay (I'm not clear what you're asking).
Sorry, my fault.  I was asking a combo of questions about both eBay and Amazon.  The first sentence was about eBay and the rest was about your Amazon experiences.

And what does eBay want to promote an item (I'm guessing that that means being a kind of featured listing?)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on May 13, 2024, 08:59:48 AMThere is one advantage to using Amazon: their refund policies seem to keep the MP vendors honest. Twice in the last two months I've had MP vendors voluntarily refund a charge instead of going through lost in the mail loop-de-loop. Apparently both times they claimed to have an item in stock, dinged my card and claim it was shipped before ordering it from their distributor, only to find it wasn't available (or available at the price they based they listed it on Amazon).

As opposed to Arkivmusic, which twice this year I've had to badger about items supposedly in stock, but never shipped.

I honestly don't think that behaviour (people listing things they don't in fact have) constitutes an "advantage". As far as I'm aware doing that on eBay would be a direct breach of the rules. And it's a waste of the customer's time in any case.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on May 13, 2024, 01:22:54 PMI honestly don't think that behaviour (people listing things they don't in fact have) constitutes an "advantage". As far as I'm aware doing that on eBay would be a direct breach of the rules. And it's a waste of the customer's time in any case.

True. But what I was calling an advantage is that Amazon's policies give the customer an advantage against the vendor they wouldn't have had if they ordered directly from the vendor.  I didn't have to badger MovieMars to give me back my $90.
(Also, I was giving my best guess at what happened.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 12:58:48 PMAnd what does eBay want to promote an item (I'm guessing that that means being a kind of featured listing?)?

PD

Yes it is a featured listing.  I pay them to put my product top on the search on expensive items.  I would not do that on something cheap, it wouldn't be worth it!

DavidW

Quote from: JBS on May 13, 2024, 02:12:01 PMTrue. But what I was calling an advantage is that Amazon's policies give the customer an advantage against the vendor they wouldn't have had if they ordered directly from the vendor.  I didn't have to badger MovieMars to give me back my $90.
(Also, I was giving my best guess at what happened.)

Oh MovieMars.  I'm still mad at them for listing cds they don't have.  I even tried to get Amazon to block them back in the day because they kept with the same fraudulent listings.  I'm really surprised that they are still around now, I would have thought they would be banned from Amazon for all their BS.  There is no justice in the world!