On-line Stores & Sellers

Started by Expresso, July 02, 2007, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

To be honest I'm a bit surprised they ever showed you marketplace prices in that list. I find the Amazon listings so unreliable that I would always worry whether they were showing the right place for the right item.  ;)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

Quote from: Faliquid on May 11, 2024, 01:15:09 AMThanks, but this option still doesn't show any of the lower-priced options available for the item. Probably I didn't explain my issue well enough. I used to be able to directly see marketplace "used & new" offerings for each item in the list. Now I have to click on each item and see if there are any good marketplace offerings. When you have a lot of items it becomes a bit of a hassle...I guess there's probably no way around this.

Gotcha! I hadn't used my wishlists in such a long time, I had trouble finding how to get to them.

Good luck!
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Faliquid

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2024, 04:23:39 AMTo be honest I'm a bit surprised they ever showed you marketplace prices in that list. I find the Amazon listings so unreliable that I would always worry whether they were showing the right place for the right item.  ;)

It definitely used to do until a year ago or so. I see now that the same issue is talked about here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/did-amazon-remove-marketplace-prices-from-wish-list-display.1169945/

Apparently it's a feature that will no longer be available.

And indeed, the listings have become much more unreliable a while ago. It used to be quite decent for me atleast.

Brian

Amazon is like many of the big tech companies in that their main "innovations" now are to remove useful features that don't actively make them more money.

Que

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2024, 07:49:26 AMAmazon is like many of the big tech companies in that their main "innovations" now are to remove useful features that don't actively make them more money.

It seems Amazon is putting its energy in removing images and taking forever to "watermark" them (though they seems to have stopped with that nonsense, only to leave many items without a cover picture...) and matching wrong reviews with recordings, which you can't report since the have removed that feature as well. I mean.... ::)

But you could call some random student in India about it?  ;D

Spotted Horses

You have to take Amazon for what it is, not what it doesn't try to be. It is not a curated web site for enthusiasts in a certain field, like presto classical or archivmusic. It is a site where you can have a recording of Braunfels string quartets, a box of corn flakes and a prefabricated house in the same shopping cart. It is a site where third party sellers, from corporate behemoths, to a guy in his parents' basement, can post listings that appear along side amazon's own listing. It runs a leading cloud computing service and the most efficient fulfillment system I've ever seen (in the U.S., I don't know about elsewhere). I can order something after the sun sets and have it on my doorstep when I get up in the morning. And yes, its listings are a mess (and not just for classical CDs) which is partly because so many third party sellers can corrupt it with incorrect or redundant listings.

I tolerate amazon's chaotic search because so often I find a used copy of a classical CD for far less cost than any of the proper web sites.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 12, 2024, 07:26:25 AMI tolerate amazon's chaotic search because so often I find a used copy of a classical CD for far less cost than any of the proper web sites.

Just know that the seller is only getting half the money now.  If you can find the same seller off Amazon you can pay the same but the difference is that the store can actually make money.

And as for the search, it is not chaotic.  They know what they're doing.  They are prioritizing showing you sponsored content.  It makes them more money at your expense.

The reality is that Amazon doesn't have that edge on fastest shipping either anymore.  Most of their competitors are just as fast.  They're not really the best at anything, they just have the inertia of their customers keeping them within their ecosystem and with the wonders of their monopolistic status in so many areas they can treat the sellers and their own employees harshly.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 12, 2024, 08:42:50 AMJust know that the seller is only getting half the money now.  If you can find the same seller off Amazon you can pay the same but the difference is that the store can actually make money.

And as for the search, it is not chaotic.  They know what they're doing.  They are prioritizing showing you sponsored content.  It makes them more money at your expense.

The reality is that Amazon doesn't have that edge on fastest shipping either anymore.  Most of their competitors are just as fast.  They're not really the best at anything, they just have the inertia of their customers keeping them within their ecosystem and with the wonders of their monopolistic status in so many areas they can treat the sellers and their own employees harshly.

I don't know of any seller that is even close to amazon in terms of delivery time (in my area). When I talk about amazon's chaotic search I am referring to items listed under inappropriate keywords, the same item with redundant listings. I am aware that some offers will be invisible unless you click on "Other sellers on amazon." Your listing gets hidden there if various conditions are met, such as amazon finds out that you are selling the same product for less on another site. That is anti-competitive, and one of the issues in the anti-trust action currently being litigated.

When I am looking for an item I will check eBay and any other sites that seem relevant for the item. I am uncomfortable with amazon's dominance. I go with another site if a comparable deal is available, but I till not pay more if amazon has the best price.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 12, 2024, 07:26:25 AMYou have to take Amazon for what it is, not what it doesn't try to be. It is not a curated web site for enthusiasts in a certain field, like presto classical or archivmusic. It is a site where you can have a recording of Braunfels string quartets, a box of corn flakes and a prefabricated house in the same shopping cart. It is a site where third party sellers, from corporate behemoths, to a guy in his parents' basement, can post listings that appear along side amazon's own listing. It runs a leading cloud computing service and the most efficient fulfillment system I've ever seen (in the U.S., I don't know about elsewhere). I can order something after the sun sets and have it on my doorstep when I get up in the morning. And yes, its listings are a mess (and not just for classical CDs) which is partly because so many third party sellers can corrupt it with incorrect or redundant listings.

I tolerate amazon's chaotic search because so often I find a used copy of a classical CD for far less cost than any of the proper web sites.

Here's the thing: eBay does the same thing far better.

Amazon started as the store that sold you stuff, then went on to become the place where other people sold you stuff too. And because being a marketplace wasn't Amazon's core business, but something they could do because of their ridiculous level of market power, they're just not as good at it. The problem in my view IS, ironically enough, that Amazon is trying to be something that it shouldn't be trying to be: a marketplace instead of sticking to being a store.

The fundamental problem is their attempt to combine listings of a product into a single offer of the product as if it WAS a store. The crappy listings (including Amazon-fulfilled ones) infect the product page. On eBay a crappy listing is just a crappy listing, and you move onto other more reliable listings.

After a period where I was trying both I resolved to stick with eBay wherever possible. Even the customer service dealing with a problem was better.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Oh, and I'll echo what's said about Amazon treating people like shit in order to achieve those prices and speeds. So long as consumers don't care, Amazon keeps winning.

Though why people care about speed so much has always mystified me. For most products speed makes no difference to anything in practice. When I'm going to own a CD for years and years I'm hardly going to remember exactly how many days it took to arrive.

ritter

Quote from: Madiel on May 12, 2024, 10:17:22 AM...
Though why people care about speed so much has always mystified me. For most products speed makes no difference to anything in practice. When I'm going to own a CD for years and years I'm hardly going to remember exactly how many days it took to arrive.
Very much agree with this. Perhaps when something is ordererd as a present, speed can have its relevance, but for personal use? It I've lived for 60 years without this or that CD, I surely can pass another week without it...