What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Rodrigo: Concierto como un divertimento, for cello and orchestra

Some works by Rodrigo possess certain naivety that makes the music sound light and unpretentious. This is a charming work with some nice orchestration.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

From the Warner Andsnes box

Two hours of Schumann for three...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Goldmark: Piano Quintet No. 1 in B-flat major

A stellar piece with its four movements being of high quality. There's some engrossing passages in the 1st movement that denote tension, conflict, this is not a completely smiling movement in the joyful key of B-flat major, and the expressivity the tender slow movement provides is remarkable for the contrast perceived.

A pity this composer is chiefly known for his Rustic Wedding Symphony and Violin Concerto No. 1 (BTW, I have never seen a recording of his 2nd VC, does it exist?). His chamber music, including these two piano quintets, show a different and expert side of his facet as a composer.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

Que

A much better Mouton recording...  :D

ritter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 24, 2024, 01:04:03 PMAre posts being deleted?  I posted twice a link to a google drive folder and it is no longer visible?
You have two personal messages in your inbox regarding this. Please check them.

Best,

Madiel

Ballets Russes, 1924 season (or a fair bit of it anyway).

Poulenc: Les Biches
Auric: Les Fâcheux
Mussorgksy: Night on Bare Mountain
Milhaud: Le Train Bleu

It's funny how Diaghilev got a hold of 3 different members of "Les Six" all at the same time. And with results that are not dissimilar on a first listen to be honest. The neoclassical leanings are evident. Though I'd probably rate Poulenc as the most poised, and Milhaud as the one that gets pretty bombastic.

Someone really stuffed up the track listing on CD 19 of this box, the numbering jumps back 7 spots, though I'm reasonably confident the rest of the information is right.

The 1925 season is not represented at all unfortunately. As far as I can find, the 3 full new ballets haven't been recorded (and most of the pastiches of old music from throughout Ballets Russes history don't seem to have been done in that format).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 24, 2024, 12:02:09 PMVaughan Williams' "A Sea Symphony" with Previn, Harper, Shirley-Quirk and forces on RCA.

PD

Good to see this. Not too many GMG mentions of the superb Previn RVW cycle in recent times.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.