What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Shostakovich: Symphony No.12 'The Year 1917'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Sibelius, Symphony No 4, Vanska, Minnesota

I'm a huge admirer of Sibelius, but the forth symphony doesn't work for me, and Vanska isn't helping.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 12:57:57 AMYes, it's a great set Harry.

TD
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 BBC SO, Andrew Davis
I agree with the view that this is a rather underrated set.
Of course Andrew Davis re-recorded the 7th and 9th symphonies (+ Job) for Chandos (with the Bergen SO). Andrew Davis was scheduled to conduct at the Proms this year - the concert will now be a tribute to Sir Andrew. Tonight the BBC (Radio 3) are broadcasting his last Prom concert featuring VW Symphony No.4 and Tippett Symphony No.4:

@vandermolen What time is it on?  I'll try and listen to it [Currently watching Nadal warm up vs. an American who is 16 years younger than him.  In Madrid.  Not an open seat in the arena.].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 07:49:37 AM@vandermolen What time is it on?  I'll try and listen to it [Currently watching Nadal warm up vs. an American who is 16 years younger than him.  In Madrid.  Not an open seat in the arena.].

PD
7.30 PM (UK time)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z05s
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 07:53:56 AM7.30 PM (UK time)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z05s

Thanks!  I'll put a memo on my computer calendar to remind me.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 07:19:58 AMSibelius, Symphony No 4, Vanska, Minnesota

I'm a huge admirer of Sibelius, but the forth symphony doesn't work for me, and Vanska isn't helping.

My favorites are Segerstam/Helsinki and Karajan.  Even if you don't like Karajan, he opened the door for me on the fourth!

DavidW

My favorite over the past few days:

Florestan's post reminded that I had not listened to the first in several years... and wow! it is way too great of a symphony to neglect for so long.

And I've been breaking in Pettersson's 5th with repeated listenings:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:37:25 AMMy favorites are Segerstam/Helsinki and Karajan.  Even if you don't like Karajan, he opened the door for me on the fourth!

Haven't heard the Segerstam. You have to be more specific about Karajan, since he recorded it in 1953 (Philharmonia/EMI) 1966 (Berlin/DG) and 1976 (Berlin/EMI). Seems like he was due again in 1987, but it didn't happen. I love all of the Karjan/Sibelius, but even he couldn't make the work gel for me. Maybe will go back to Karajan's DG recording to revisit.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington