What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

A superb Ravel trio by Vilde Frang, Truls Mørk and Christian Ihle Hadland on Tuesday.

Wednesday the War Requiem with large forces under Andrew Litton. All in Bergen, Norway.

MishaK

Quote from: Brewski on June 06, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
That looks like a potentially great concert, and I have never seen the Bruckner 1 on a Muti program.

He's done it with VPO recently, I think. He's been doing some of the more rarely performed Bruckner symphonies recently. He did 2 and 6 here with CSO in recent seasons.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brewski on June 06, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
That looks like a potentially great concert, and I have never seen the Bruckner 1 on a Muti program.

And it's a really underrated symphony in my view. I think it's better than the two symphonies that followed, at least from a structural POV. It's also one of the two symphonies that Bruckner described as keck (impudent, cheeky), the other one being the 6th.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 27, 2013, 10:47:37 AM
Booked a couple of Snape concerts during the Aldeburgh festival in June :

Sandrine Piau (soprano)
Susan Manoff (piano)

Mendelssohn - Neue Liebe; Nachtlied; Hexenlied (Andres Maienlied)
Chausson - Amour d'antan; Dans la forêt du charme et de l'enchantement; Les heures
Berg - Seven Early Songs
Debussy - Fêtes Galantes Book I
Richard Strauss - Morgen; Die Nacht Op 10 No 3; Ständchen
Schoenberg - Four Songs Op 2
Britten - The Sally Gardens; There's none to soothe; I wonder as I wander

Sandrine Piau has withdrawn from her performance at Snape on Monday. The new performers and programme are :

Sarah Connolly - soprano
Malcolm Martineau - piano

Schumann - Widmung ; Die Lotosblume ; Hochländisches Wiegenlied
Schumann - Frauenliebe und-Leben
Rousel - Le bachelier de Salamanque ; Le jardin mouillé ; Invocation ; Nuit d'Automne
Britten - Corpus Christi Carol ; O Waly Waly
Howells - Come Sing and Dance ; King David
Gurney - Sleep ; By a Bierside
Richard Rodney - Bennett A history of the Thé Dansant

All unknown works to me - an evening of discoveries then !
Olivier

Opus106

I'm not sure if it fits here. Please let me know if there is a thread for webcasts and the like.

QuoteOn Saturday, June 15, Sir Simon Rattle commemmorates Benjamin Britten's 100th anniversary with a performance of the War Requiem. His orchestra is the great Berlin Philharmonic, and they're joined by the Rundfunkchor Berlin and soloists Emily Magee, John Mark Ainsley and Matthias Goerne.

Gramophone's readers and visitors to our website can watch the performance for free, courtesy of the Berlin Philharmonic, both live and then when it is available in the Digital Concert Hall's archive.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/watch-britten%27s-war-requiem-live-from-berlin-for-free
Regards,
Navneeth

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on June 10, 2013, 07:41:22 AM
I'm not sure if it fits here. Please let me know if there is a thread for webcasts and the like.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/watch-britten%27s-war-requiem-live-from-berlin-for-free

Thanks, perfectly fine here, and appreciate knowing about this.

A busy week: Ola Gjeilo's Sunrise Mass (conducted by Philip Brunelle), two nights at the UNPLAY Festival curated by the 18-year-old pianist Conrad Tao, recent works for violin and electronics played by Monica Germino, David Fulmer doing a recital on Mozart's violin (the instrument's first time in the U.S.), the New York Philharmonic led by Lionel Bringuier, and the Talea Ensemble reprising Hans Abrahamsen's Schnee.

--Bruce

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 08, 2013, 06:49:41 AM

Sarah Connolly - soprano
Malcolm Martineau - piano

Schumann - Widmung ; Die Lotosblume ; Hochländisches Wiegenlied
Schumann - Frauenliebe und-Leben
Rousel - Le bachelier de Salamanque ; Le jardin mouillé ; Invocation ; Nuit d'Automne
Britten - Corpus Christi Carol ; O Waly Waly
Howells - Come Sing and Dance ; King David
Gurney - Sleep ; By a Bierside
Richard Rodney - Bennett A history of the Thé Dansant

All unknown works to me - an evening of discoveries then !

Just back from Snape. They really should have more withdrawals if that's the quality of the backups  ;D Quite a recital and a singing display !!  From memory, I think I only saw a soprano once before in Snape and that wasn't anything worth writing home about. Sarah Connolly on the other hand...wow... great singing throughout. I did enjoy the various Schumann works, although it felt a bit monotonous at times.

Roussel's Jardin Mouillé was a very evocative discovery, even though I didn't understand all the French words  :P

Corpus Cristi Carol was stunning, I knew that song from Jeff Buckley's album (a corker in his own right) but had never realised it was a Britten song. Add O Waly Waly to the mix and I am now keen to delve into Britten a bit more.

The real standing out work of the evening was Howells' King David. One of those moments where you get completely absorbed by the performance and forget time and everything that surrounds you. Quite a feeling  :)

Here's a link to that work to give you an idea (I am on the fourth replay as I type...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2Jz1vvlHY&feature=share&list=PL43867EA1DD9C4479
Olivier

North Star

Excellent Olivier!
Britten is fantastic, try his orchestral songs, the VC, and Sea Interludes from Grimes.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

listener

heard tonight
RIMSKY-KORSAKOFF: Le Coq d'Or  Prelude and Wedding March
TCHAIKOWSKY: Violin Concerto (Baiba Skride, violin)
STRAVINSKY: The Firebird (complete)
Vancouver Symphony      Bramwell Tovey, cond.
Skride takes the quick parts in the rondo of the concerto at a very quick tempo and with a Mendelssonian lightness - it really works.  The Firebird used the second version, one instead of three harps (but a second was added here), a much expanded piano part and the contrabassoons dispensed with.  Some problems with balance when the horns roared.  Good seat upstairs, no visible disco-ordination* heard or observed.
Next week: Petrouchka and Le Sacre de Printemps
*entering the ministry to the music of the B.G.'s?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

londonrich

Last night:
Copland: Inscapes; Britten: Cello Symphony; Shostakovich: 5th Symphony
Yo Yo Ma, LSO, Tilson Thomas. Barbican, London

I find the Britten hard to love, but Ma gave a pretty gripping account of it, and a beautiful encore dedicated to Colin Davis. The real surprise for me was how superb the Shostakovich was, as I don't think of that as MTT's core repertory. But it was biting and thrilling.

Lisztianwagner

On 18th January 2014, at Teatro alla Scala:

Jean Sibelius
Finlandia
Jean Sibelius
Violin Concerto in D minor
Anton Bruckner
Symphony No.6

Riccardo Chailly/ Wiener Philharmoniker
Leonidas Kavakos

I've just seen this concert on the programme of the new season of the Filarmonica della Scala, and I can't still believe to that.....seeing the Wiener Philharmoniker live, it will be absolutely awesome! ;D
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

North Star

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 13, 2013, 08:56:24 AM

Jean Sibelius
Finlandia
Jean Sibelius
Anton Bruckner
Symphony No.6

Leonidas Kavakos

I've just seen this concert on the programme of the new season of the Filarmonica della Scala, and I can't still believe to that.....seeing the Wiener Philharmoniker live, it will be absolutely awesome! ;D
I can count a few more things that are awesome in that concert.

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 13, 2013, 08:56:24 AM

Jean Sibelius
Finlandia
Jean Sibelius
Anton Bruckner
Symphony No.6

Leonidas Kavakos

Kavakos was the violinist who finally made me like the Sibelius concerto; I'd never quite warmed up to it until hearing his version.

Looks like a really great evening...

--Bruce

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: North Star on June 13, 2013, 09:01:52 AM
I can count a few more things that are awesome in that concert.
Of course it's not only because of the orchestra, all the beautiful compositions included in the programme and the perfomers...that definitely sounds a wonderful combination.  But the WP is one of my favourite orchestras and I haven't seen it live yet, that's why I'm so excited. :)

Quote from: Brewski on June 13, 2013, 09:08:50 AM
Kavakos was the violinist who finally made me like the Sibelius concerto; I'd never quite warmed up to it until hearing his version.

Looks like a really great evening...

--Bruce
Absolutely!
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

MishaK

Quote from: Brewski on June 13, 2013, 09:08:50 AM

You should try Vilde Frang's recording.

bhodges

Quote from: MishaK on June 13, 2013, 11:25:19 AM

Thank you! Had to look her up; somehow she'd escaped my radar. And the Prokofiev 1 coupling on that disc is very appealing, since I love that piece.

8)

--Bruce

North Star

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 13, 2013, 09:25:06 AM
Of course it's not only because of the orchestra, all the beautiful compositions included in the programme and the perfomers...that definitely sounds a wonderful combination.  But the WP is one of my favourite orchestras and I haven't seen it live yet, that's why I'm so excited. :)
Yes, I can guess now that you are very excited about hearing the WP for the first time live. I would like to hear them, too.

Quote from: MishaK on June 13, 2013, 11:25:19 AM

Hm, I must check that one out!

My photographs on Flickr

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 27, 2013, 10:47:37 AM
Quatuor Mosaïques
Purcell - Three Fantasias
Haydn Quartet - Op.76 No.6
Schubert - Quartet No.15 in G major

Tomorrow morning - can't wait  8)

and booked a couple of Snape Proms in August :

Christian Blackshaw - piano
Mozart - Fantasie in D minor K397; Sonata in D major K576
Schubert - Sonata in A minor D784
Schumann - Fantasie in C major Op.17

Heard him a couple of years ago with a great D.960 - should be a good one.

Isabelle Faust - violin
Kristian Bezuidenhout - harpsichord
Bach - Sonatas for violin and keyboard No.1 in B minor; No.3 in E major; No.6 in G major; Sonata No.2 for solo violin in A minor; Toccata in D minor

Booked this one on the names alone to be honest (saw Faust once with the Melnikov Trio). Will have to dig up the works from the Bach Brilliant Box to see what the works are like  :-[
Olivier

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Hope I can make it to this one - it's free at Grant Park next Wednesday!

Grant Park Orchestra
Carlos Kalmar, Conductor
Martin Fröst, Clarinet

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5

Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto

Martinu: Thunderbolt P47

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach