What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on December 15, 2020, 06:32:48 AM
That is very exciting, lucky you!
8) Yeah, I'm a happy camper. Just got train and concert hall tickets for tomorrow (night one). Will decide afterwards how many to see. Just in case, cancelled my classes for next Tuesday night so I can see the Hammerklavier, if so inclined...students were quite happy for a night off.
It's all good...

JBS

Just curious: what's the status of the Vienna New Year's Day concert? Was it cancelled outright or do they plan on holding some sort of event?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 28, 2020, 06:47:38 PM
Just curious: what's the status of the Vienna New Year's Day concert? Was it cancelled outright or do they plan on holding some sort of event?

Here's some information that may be of help:

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/newyearsconcert/newyearsconcert2021

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bhodges

Tonight, watching this interesting livestream at 8 pm EST. Tickets are $20, on the orchestra's website.

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Seth Parker Woods, cello
Maxim Emelyanychev, conductor

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Tyshawn Sorey: For Roscoe Mitchell (world premiere)
Haydn: Symphony No. 103, "Drumroll"

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/Calendar/2020-2021/Rev-CS7

--Bruce

DavidW

Primephonic and Idagio have been streaming exclusive livestreams has anybody tried them?

Brahmsian

An enjoyable evening last night, listening to a livestream event of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra for the opening concert of the Winnipeg New Music Festival.

On the menu was:

Source Code (chamber orchestra version) by American composer Jessie Montgomery

Supplica - by Christopher Rouse (by far my favourite work of the evening)

Kammerkonzert - by young Canadian composer Samy Moussa (wonderfully dark piece!)

Son of Chamber Symphony - by John Adams

Conducted by WSO music director Daniel Raiskin.

Brahmsian

Tuesday night's upcoming livestream event for the Winnipeg New Music Festival will feature music all being performed by New York's Decoda Ensemble. They are not actually performing in Winnipeg, a livestream from their performance in New York City.

Works:
New Dances of the League of David: XVI (mit gutem Humor, un poco lol ma con serioso vibes)  – Caroline Shaw

From Soliloquy – Joseph Jones

Whale Song – Michelle Ross

Waterbear – Nathan Schram

Vent – David Lang

From The Fence, The Rooftop, and the Distant Sea –Kinan Azmeh

IV. Dance
V. Epilogue

Lullaby and Polska – Evan Premo

Oystercatcher – Brad Balliett

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 24, 2021, 09:23:28 AM
Tuesday night's upcoming livestream event for the Winnipeg New Music Festival will feature music all being performed by New York's Decoda Ensemble. They are not actually performing in Winnipeg, a livestream from their performance in New York City.

Works:
New Dances of the League of David: XVI (mit gutem Humor, un poco lol ma con serioso vibes)  – Caroline Shaw

From Soliloquy – Joseph Jones

Whale Song – Michelle Ross

Waterbear – Nathan Schram

Vent – David Lang

From The Fence, The Rooftop, and the Distant Sea –Kinan Azmeh

IV. Dance
V. Epilogue

Lullaby and Polska – Evan Premo

Oystercatcher – Brad Balliett

A wonderful program. Highlights for me were:

Whale Song, composed by Michelle Ross for solo cello.

Vent, composed by David Lang, for piano and flute

Lullaby and Polska, composed by Evan Premo, for violin and viola.

bhodges

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 24, 2021, 08:23:08 AM
An enjoyable evening last night, listening to a livestream event of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra for the opening concert of the Winnipeg New Music Festival.

On the menu was:

Source Code (chamber orchestra version) by American composer Jessie Montgomery

Supplica - by Christopher Rouse (by far my favourite work of the evening)

Kammerkonzert - by young Canadian composer Samy Moussa (wonderfully dark piece!)

Son of Chamber Symphony - by John Adams

Conducted by WSO music director Daniel Raiskin.

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2021, 06:51:59 AM
A wonderful program. Highlights for me were:

Whale Song, composed by Michelle Ross for solo cello.

Vent, composed by David Lang, for piano and flute

A couple of excellent-looking concerts there! Not familiar with either Michelle Ross or Evan Premo, so will add them to the queue.

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2021, 06:51:59 AM
Oh I remember him! One time I saw Premo play double bass accompanying a soprano in songs he'd composed. They were fantastic - and the idea of singing with a bass player as a duo worked really well, probably because of his knowledge of the instrument.

Brahmsian

Friday, final night of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's Winnipeg New Music Festival livestream concert.

Daniel Raiskin, conductor

Works:

Disquiet – Jocelyn Morlock

Murmur – Emilie LeBel

Ashes to Light the Sky – Harry Stafylakis

Kiwetin-acahkos: Fanfare for the Peoples of the North – Andrew Balfour

Tranquillo – Giya Kancheli

Concerto Grosso – Philip Glass

Wanderer

30.01.2021, 18:30

Berg: Violin Concerto
Schubert: Symphony No. 9

Leonidas Kavakos
LSO
Simon Rattle

2021 is an anniversary year for Greece, marking the bicentennial of the Greek Revolution. This tribute concert, the first among several programmed to mark the year, will be broadcast on Greek national television and also be available for streaming for a month thereafter.

bhodges

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2021, 02:32:18 PM
Friday, final night of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's Winnipeg New Music Festival livestream concert.

Daniel Raiskin, conductor

Works:

Disquiet – Jocelyn Morlock

Murmur – Emilie LeBel

Ashes to Light the Sky – Harry Stafylakis

Kiwetin-acahkos: Fanfare for the Peoples of the North – Andrew Balfour

Tranquillo – Giya Kancheli

Concerto Grosso – Philip Glass

Thanks, I'm making a note, and may tune in. (Friday nights I've been watching the Minnesota Orchestra livestreams, but tomorrow's has been cancelled.)

Quote from: Wanderer on January 28, 2021, 05:13:11 AM
30.01.2021, 18:30

Berg: Violin Concerto
Schubert: Symphony No. 9

Leonidas Kavakos
LSO
Simon Rattle

2021 is an anniversary year for Greece, marking the bicentennial of the Greek Revolution. This tribute concert, the first among several programmed to mark the year, will be broadcast on Greek national television and also be available for streaming for a month thereafter.

And definitely going to check out this one! Kavakos is one of my favorite violinists, and I don't recall hearing him in the Berg, which I adore. Thanks for the alert!

--Bruce

Wanderer

Quote from: Brewski on January 28, 2021, 05:29:01 AM
And definitely going to check out this one! Kavakos is one of my favorite violinists, and I don't recall hearing him in the Berg, which I adore. Thanks for the alert!

--Bruce

And here's the link for the feed from ERT2. It starts in 5 minutes.

DavidW

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on January 30, 2021, 07:41:13 AM
I saw this article in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/arts/music/classical-music-streaming.html for the upcoming February concerts to stream.
Thanks for this! Intrigued by the NDR program with Trifonov in Prokofiev concerto 1 and Schnittke.

Found this colorful description of the Schnittke from Jed Distler:
"Even in its most lyrical, expansive moments, there's nothing pretty about Schnittke's Concerto for Piano and String Orchestra, with its seasick microtonal lurches, pounding non-minimalist repetitions, and tortured baroque allusions."

André

The Montreal Symphony Orchestra's new MD is Rafael Payare. He is currently MD in San Diego, a position he is expected to keep. He and his wife, cellist Alisa Weilerstein live in Berllin. Issued from Venezuela's El Sistema, he's conducted the MSO before and seems to have made a very positive impression. He led the orchestra last month (no audience) in Brahms's first symphony. The performance was broadcast and I watched it with keen interest. While I really liked the sonority he gets from the orchestra - very germanic, string heavy - I was disappointed by the moderate tempi used throughout. It felt more like a run-through than a concert performance.

Last week he conducted a full concert (with no audience again) consisting of Mediodía en el llano by Venezuelan composer Antonio Estévez, the second cello concerto by Shostakovich (with Weilerstein as soloist) and Dvorak's 7th symphony. The concert is available on the orchestra's website. A critic I read today raves about the performance of the Shostakovich concerto, but notes that the Dvorak displayed the same kind of cautiousness and lack of tension I noticed in the Brahms 1st. It would seem maestro Payare needs an audience to connect and give his best work. I truly hope that things will pick up with the presence of a full audience. No announcement to that effect is in sight though, and the summer recess will probably arrive before concert halls are allowed to reopen.

Brian

That sort of caution and slowness seems to be common among both El Sistema conductors and the youngest generation more generally (in Dallas we have frequent visits from a conductor named Gemma New who is also very cautious and run-through-like). I thought young people were supposed to be exciting  ;D

Also, as an aside - imagine having jobs in San Diego and Montreal. If I had to choose two cities in North America to live in, those might be my choices...perfect summer/winter divide there. And then to live in Berlin on top of that  :o

DavidW

Saw this on my YT feed it just streamed live two days ago.  Solo piano Beethoven, Webern and Schumann.

Cédric Tiberghien - At Wigmore Hall