What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on January 28, 2021, 05:13:11 AM
30.01.2021, 18:30

Berg: Violin Concerto
Schubert: Symphony No. 9

Leonidas Kavakos
LSO
Simon Rattle

2021 is an anniversary year for Greece, marking the bicentennial of the Greek Revolution. This tribute concert, the first among several programmed to mark the year, will be broadcast on Greek national television and also be available for streaming for a month thereafter.

This should be good. Thanks for mentioning this!

bhodges

Coming up at 11:45 am EST, a livestream from Musica nova Helsinki:

Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: André de Ridder
Piano: Nicolas Hodges

Edgard Varèse: Deserts
Anna Meredith: Four Tributes to 4am
Simon Steen-Andersen: Pianokonsert

--Bruce

bhodges

Couldn't catch this live earlier today, but it's available on the rebound until April 5. Another event in the Musica nova Festival from Helsinki, which so far is doing a fantastic job. The technical level of these livestreams is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmbJLJ0swV8&feature=youtu.be

Tapiola Sinfonietta
Roland Kluttig, conductor
Emil Holmström, Hammond organ

Lisa Streich: MANTEL for string orchestra and two percussion (2018), Finnish premiere
Sami Klemola: Ghost Notes, concerto for Hammond organ and orchestra (2019/2020), World premiere
1. Initiative
2. Warp
3. Obsession

Steve Reich: City Life (1995)
Art video by Aurora Rosas

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2021, 02:32:18 PM
Friday, final night of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's Winnipeg New Music Festival livestream concert.

Daniel Raiskin, conductor

Works:

Disquiet – Jocelyn Morlock

Murmur – Emilie LeBel

Ashes to Light the Sky – Harry Stafylakis

Kiwetin-acahkos: Fanfare for the Peoples of the North – Andrew Balfour

Tranquillo – Giya Kancheli

Concerto Grosso – Philip Glass

Finally got a chance to listen to this livestream, albeit a week later.

Wonderful concert. The Kancheli and Glass works were marvelous.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 06, 2021, 06:26:53 AM
Finally got a chance to listen to this livestream, albeit a week later.

Wonderful concert. The Kancheli and Glass works were marvelous.

Never thought I would read the words 'Glass' and 'marvelous' together. :P They certainly have never been uttered by me. :D

bhodges

Tonight at 8:00 pm EST, the JACK Quartet plays divisio spiralis (2019) by Catherine Lamb, live from Roulette. (Free, but as if often the case these days, contributions are welcome.) I heard the world premiere: It's about an hour long, microtonal, slow-moving and meditative. Highly recommended.

https://roulette.org/event/jack-quartet-plays-catherine-lamb/

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Tonight's Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra livestream concert, with Daniel Raiskin conducting and Yuri Hooker (WSO principal cellist) as solo cellist.

Glazunov - Theme & Variations for Strings

Tchaikovsky -  Andante Cantabile

Taneyev - Canzone for Cello and Strings

Tchaikovsky - Nocturne for Cello and Strings

Dvořák - Serenade in D minor

bhodges

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 13, 2021, 05:31:57 AM
Tonight's Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra livestream concert, with Daniel Raiskin conducting and Yuri Hooker (WSO principal cellist) as solo cellist.

Ooh, this looks great. I know the Tchaikovsky Andante and the Dvořák, but not the other works. Thanks for posting!

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 13, 2021, 05:31:57 AM

Great concert, and although the highlight was the Dvořák Serenade, the surprise hit was the Glazunov Theme and Variations for Strings. A piece I had not heard before. Just marvelous!

Brahmsian

Tonight's Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra livestream concert, with Naomi Woo as piano soloist and as conductor.

Haydn - Divertimento in E flat, Hob II:6, Op. 1/0

Marianne von Martinez - Piano Concerto in A major

Louise Farrenc - Nonet in E flat

springrite

I will be going to see La Traviata at the National Theatre by Tiananmen Square on April 10. I am really looking forward to it because I will be taking my wife and my daughter Kimi to see opera for the first time.

The last time I saw Traviata was in the late 90's in Los Angeles.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bhodges

Coming up in about 10 minutes, this livestream. Free with registration.

Minnesota Orchestra
Juraj Valčuha, conductor
James Ehnes, violin

MONTGOMERY
Voodoo Dolls / 5 min

MONTGOMERY
Source Code / 9 min

PROKOFIEV
Violin Concerto No. 2 / 26 min

MENDELSSOHN
Symphony No. 4, Italian / 26 min

https://mnorch.vhx.tv/featured-category/videos/soaring-strings

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on March 05, 2021, 04:49:42 PM
Coming up in about 10 minutes, this livestream. Free with registration.

Minnesota Orchestra
Juraj Valčuha, conductor
James Ehnes, violin

MONTGOMERY
Voodoo Dolls / 5 min

MONTGOMERY
Source Code / 9 min

PROKOFIEV
Violin Concerto No. 2 / 26 min

MENDELSSOHN
Symphony No. 4, Italian / 26 min

https://mnorch.vhx.tv/featured-category/videos/soaring-strings

--Bruce

Looks like a good concert, Bruce. Manitoba born Ehnes.  8)

André

From Montreal's Ochestre métropolitain, a web concert featuring The Chariot Jubilee by Robert Nathaniel Dett and the Requiem by Fauré. Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducted.

Dett is an African-Canadian composer and his gospel-based choral fantasia was premiered in 1921 - 100 years ago exactly. It's a songful piece that lives up to what one could have anticipated. No masterpiece, but a very fine 15 minutes of music.

Fauré's Requiem is certainly his most famous work and his most often performed. NS brought superb dynamic nuances to the more contemplative sections and the orchestra was on top form, esp. the solo horn whose liquid tones were a joy to hear. The chorus was spread quite widely in the rafters left, right and behind the orchestra, their tone losing a bit in presence as a consequence. Considering the work at hand it was an appropriate effect, if unusual. The organ accompaniment in In Paradisum was different, too: slightly louder than usual and played non legato throughout. It brought to mind the fluttering of wings. The effect was a bit jaunty, appropriate in its depiction of angels in Paradise, I guess. All told an uncommonly refined and magnificently executed Requiem.

bhodges

Quote from: André on March 10, 2021, 04:42:19 PM
From Montreal's Ochestre métropolitain, a web concert featuring The Chariot Jubilee by Robert Nathaniel Dett and the Requiem by Fauré. Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducted.

Dett is an African-Canadian composer and his gospel-based choral fantasia was premiered in 1921 - 100 years ago exactly. It's a songful piece that lives up to what one could have anticipated. No masterpiece, but a very fine 15 minutes of music.

Fauré's Requiem is certainly his most famous work and his most often performed. NS brought superb dynamic nuances to the more contemplative sections and the orchestra was on top form, esp. the solo horn whose liquid tones were a joy to hear. The chorus was spread quite widely in the rafters left, right and behind the orchestra, their tone losing a bit in presence as a consequence. Considering the work at hand it was an appropriate effect, if unusual. The organ accompaniment in In Paradisum was different, too: slightly louder than usual and played non legato throughout. It brought to mind the fluttering of wings. The effect was a bit jaunty, appropriate in its depiction of angels in Paradise, I guess. All told an uncommonly refined and magnificently executed Requiem.

Thanks for this report. I continue to be impressed with YNS and his instincts in a pretty wide variety of repertoire. (E.g., his first Carnegie concert was superb, the Verdi Requiem, and then he did a magnificent Parsifal at the Met.) And the interesting chorus placement and organ effects seem well-considered, perhaps to gently shake things up. Of course, shaking things up for its own sake isn't always a good idea, but YNS seems to enjoy studying scores and how to freshen them up a little.

So speaking of him, this concert is next Thursday, and available for a week after, focusing on the Philadelphia winds:

March 18, 8:00 PM ET

Philadelphia Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin Conductor
Patrick Williams Flute
Philippe Tondre Oboe
Ricardo Morales Clarinet
Daniel Matsukawa Bassoon
Jennifer Montone Horn

Valerie Coleman Red Clay & Mississippi Delta, for wind quintet
Mozart Serenade in B-flat major ("Gran Partita")

--Bruce

stingo

Quote from: Brewski on March 13, 2021, 08:31:09 AM
Thanks for this report. I continue to be impressed with YNS and his instincts in a pretty wide variety of repertoire.

Do I have it right that he did a lot of works with chorus before he came to Philadelphia? I know that's become the lynchpin in his tenure there - the performance of large scale choral works (e.g., Bach's Mass in B minor).

Brahmsian

Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra livestream event from this past Saturday

Flute soloists:

Jan Kocman
Alex Conway

Conducted by:  Julian Pellicano

Adagio & Fugue in C minor
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Concerto in G major for 2 Flutes & Orchestra
Domenico Cimarosa

Romanian Folk Dances for String Orchestra
Béla Bartok

Suite from Lachrimae or Seven Teares for Brass Ensemble
John Dowland

Fantasy in the form of a passacaglia for Brass and Timpani
Violet Archer

Mutations from Bach
Samuel Barber

All of these were new compositions (to me), that I had never heard before, with the exception of the Bartok Romanian Folk Dances.  Very enjoyable concert, with the Violet Archer and Mozart pieces being standouts from the music I had not heard before.

Brian

Quote from: stingo on March 16, 2021, 05:44:23 AM
Do I have it right that he did a lot of works with chorus before he came to Philadelphia? I know that's become the lynchpin in his tenure there - the performance of large scale choral works (e.g., Bach's Mass in B minor).
First time I saw YNS, with the London Philharmonic, was a two-piece concert pairing the Franck symphony and Fauré requiem.

T. D.

Online event this Sunday

https://live.bangonacan.org/maerzmusik/

Likely to be hit or miss, I'll probably catch some of it.

bhodges

Quote from: T. D. on March 18, 2021, 02:43:42 PM
Online event this Sunday

https://live.bangonacan.org/maerzmusik/

Likely to be hit or miss, I'll probably catch some of it.

I'm planning to dip in as well. Especially looking forward to the final couple of hours, with flutist Claire Chase, percussionist David Cossin, and composer/percussionist Tyshawn Sorey.

--Bruce