Author Topic: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)  (Read 707331 times)

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
Re: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)
« Reply #6200 on: November 29, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »
What a shame. (Especially to hear an unfamiliar composer live, too.) I may seek out the broadcast, so thanks for mentioning.

Yes, this would have been my first opportunity to hear the Symphony in concert.  I could not count the number of works which have been opened up to me by hearing them performed live by a gifted interpreter such as Oramo.

Sorry I missed reading your posting 'til now; however, even sorrier for you not being able to attend the concert!  Is the strike still on?

It's not a continuous strike but a series of planned stoppages, and just unfortunate that the first one coincided with the concert (and was confirmed only the day before).  In theory I have no other bookings that would be affected by further actions.  However this week I do have another problem.  On Friday I should be hearing this:

Jessie Montgomery Starburst
Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia
Dobrinka Tabakova Cello Concerto (London premiere)
Falla Ritual Fire Dance from El Amor brujo
Dobrinka Tabakova Earth Suite for orchestra (Tectonic, Pacific and Timber & Steel) (World premiere of compilation)

BBC Concert Orchestra
Bramwell Tovey conductor
Laura van der Heijden cello

Looking forward particularly to the new pieces from Tabakova (who will surely be there in person.)

The hall where this takes place participates in the Government's "Test and Trace" programme, under which every visitor has their details stored in a massive database.  Anybody who tests positive for Covid is then checked against this database, and anybody else who may have been in the vicinity of that person at any point is identified as a "contact".  They do not have to be have been in the same hall at the same time.  Anybody who was recorded as visiting any part of this multi-venue centre on the same day would count as a contact.  Under the new rules introduced this week, any so-called "contact" of a person who tests positive for the new Omicron variant has to quarantine for 10 days regardless of their own state of health or vaccination status.

Given that there have already been recorded Omicron cases just across the river, and that thousands of people pass through this centre daily, the chances of being caught by this are not negligible.  In which case, I would then not be able to go to this on the following Wednesday:

Shostakovich Violin Concerto No.1
Brett Dean Notturno inquieto (Rivisitato) (World premiere of new version)
Rachmaninov Symphony No.3

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Vladimir Jurowski conductor
Leonidas Kavakos violin

My partner, who would accompany me to that one, is a big Jurowski fan and would not forgive me if I did anything to jeopardise that.  So for the second week running I am going to have to pass. :(

So far I have been able to go to exactly one post-Covid concert - fortunately, a good one (Rattle conducting the LSO in Martinu and Shostakovich) - and I do wonder how many of the others I've booked I'll actually get to go to. :-\

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6201 on: November 29, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
The first concert sounds great but I must tell you that Kavakos playing that Shostakovich concerto is one of the most extraordinary live performances I've ever seen. The audience here in Dallas was so rapt that nobody coughed the whole cadenza. There was a truly rare electric quality. You could hardly blink. That performance will be worth sitting through the rest.

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
« Reply #6202 on: November 30, 2021, 02:18:22 AM »
The first concert sounds great but I must tell you that Kavakos playing that Shostakovich concerto is one of the most extraordinary live performances I've ever seen. The audience here in Dallas was so rapt that nobody coughed the whole cadenza. There was a truly rare electric quality. You could hardly blink. That performance will be worth sitting through the rest.

Thank you for that observation, it's very helpful. :)  The last time I heard the Shostakovich in concert was with James Ehnes, and Ashkenazy conducting the Philharmonia - another jaw-dropping performance, but did rather raise my threshold of expectation.  Good to know I'm unlikely to be disappointed with this latest forced decision (much as I love Tabakova's music.)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6203 on: November 30, 2021, 01:10:16 PM »
Thank you for that observation, it's very helpful. :)  The last time I heard the Shostakovich in concert was with James Ehnes, and Ashkenazy conducting the Philharmonia - another jaw-dropping performance, but did rather raise my threshold of expectation.  Good to know I'm unlikely to be disappointed with this latest forced decision (much as I love Tabakova's music.)
Well jeez...talk about two expert conductors in this repertoire and probably the two best violinists for it.  :o ;D You'll be spoiled for life, for sure!

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #6204 on: December 01, 2021, 08:18:42 AM »
On Friday night, this great-looking concert from the Minnesota Orchestra, at 8pm Central (9pm Eastern). As usual, the livestream is free, though contributions are welcome.

Ingrid Fliter (piano)
Thomas Søndergård (conductor)
Minnesota Orchestra

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Ballade for Orchestra
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23
R. Strauss: Ein Heldenleben

https://mnorch.vhx.tv/videos/live-12-3-ingrid-fliter-plays-mozart

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6205 on: December 02, 2021, 12:35:17 PM »
This Saturday in London:
Sir James MacMillan 'Christmas Oratorio'.
https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/classical-music/james-macmillans-christmas-oratorio
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Judith

• Currently Listening to:
    Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #6206 on: December 03, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »
Another wonderful concert last week by local orchestra "The Haydn Players"

Performing

Mozart La clemenza di Tito
Haydn. Symphony no 98
Beethoven Symphony no 4

Conductor
Melvin Tay

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #6207 on: December 04, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »
Last week, I was able to step out for a great program:

Prokofiev Symphony 1 'Classical', op. 25
William Bolcom: Violin Concerto in D
Mozart: Idomeneo Overture, K. 366
Schoenberg: Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene, op. 34
Haydn: Symphony 96 'Miracle', H. 96

Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

I have been looking forward to the Bolcom VC, but what a range for a visit to the symphony. I can't remember the last time I heard Haydn while out.

VS
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 03:43:20 PM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6208 on: December 04, 2021, 04:39:35 PM »
Just returned from seeing the first London performance of Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio'. This was a powerful and moving experience. 90 minutes with a break in the middle. I would definitely want to hear this again. Sir Mark Elder, Lucy Crowe, Roderick Williams with the LPO and LP Choir. The composer appeared on stage at the end and received a standing ovation. On the way up and back on the train I read his short and ultimately moving autobiography 'A Scots Song'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6209 on: December 04, 2021, 04:58:08 PM »
Another wonderful concert last week by local orchestra "The Haydn Players"

Performing

Mozart La clemenza di Tito
Haydn. Symphony no 98
Beethoven Symphony no 4

Conductor
Melvin Tay

Lovely!

--Bruce

- Alfred Schnittke

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6210 on: December 04, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
Last week, I was able to step out for a great program:

Prokofiev Symphony 1 'Classical', op. 25
William Bolcom: Violin Concerto in D
Mozart: Idomeneo Overture, K. 366
Schoenberg: Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene, op. 34
Haydn: Symphony 96 'Miracle', H. 96

Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

I have been looking forward to the Bolcom VC, but what a range for a visit to the symphony. I can't remember the last time I heard Haydn while out.

VS

This looks wonderful -- unusual program, and program order, too. Love that they ended with the Haydn. Usually any Haydn gets relegated to the beginning of a concert, and why not have it end it all?

--Bruce

- Alfred Schnittke

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6211 on: December 04, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »
Just returned from seeing the first London performance of Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio'. This was a powerful and moving experience. 90 minutes with a break in the middle. I would definitely want to hear this again. Sir Mark Elder, Lucy Crowe, Roderick Williams with the LPO and LP Choir. The composer appeared on stage at the end and received a standing ovation. On the way up and back on the train I read his short and ultimately moving autobiography 'A Scots Song'.

Totally cool. And I love Roderick Williams! Have seen him once in person, at an intimate concert at Bargemusic in New York -- enough to turn me into a fan. (Lucy Crowe isn't bad, either, nor Sir Mark.  8) )

Sounds like a marvelous evening.

--Bruce

- Alfred Schnittke

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #6212 on: December 04, 2021, 09:52:31 PM »

Great to read, Jeffrey. Quite a long work, too. I'm sure we can expect a recording of it at some juncture.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6213 on: December 05, 2021, 01:12:44 AM »
Totally cool. And I love Roderick Williams! Have seen him once in person, at an intimate concert at Bargemusic in New York -- enough to turn me into a fan. (Lucy Crowe isn't bad, either, nor Sir Mark.  8) )

Sounds like a marvelous evening.

--Bruce

I wrote my comments after I got home at about 1.00am and thought of some other things that really impressed me. The two soloists, Lucy Crowe and Roderick Williams were brilliant. I found her first soprano solo incredibly moving and think very highly of Roderick Williams. There were some great moments, near the start with the trombones and chorus. The harp and the vibraphone had very big roles. Sections reminded me a bit of Britten (War Requiem) and Janacek (Sinfonietta and Glagolitic Mass) but it is also a work of striking originality. I hope that John is right and there is a recording soon. However, seeing it live was very special. On Friday night my wife asked me to come to see an evening of Celtic-type folk singing in the local church, which I also enjoyed (even bought the CD  ::)). So, it has been quite a musical weekend for me and, of course, very special to attend live concerts again. My daughter enjoys classical music and I've noticed a concert featuring Walton's First Symphony in London on her birthday next March, so maybe that will be another family outing!
I took this photo last night walking across the Thames over Hungerford Bridge. The Royal Festival Hall is on the far right (light blue roof):
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:27:23 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6214 on: December 05, 2021, 07:44:58 AM »
Mark Elder caused a bit of a stir at the Dallas Symphony recently because he spent a good bit of time ranting to the orchestra about how Brexit has made artistic life so much harder. True, no doubt. But unfortunately it was during rehearsal time and the result was that they lost a considerable amount of the work day!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6215 on: December 06, 2021, 12:58:52 AM »
Mark Elder caused a bit of a stir at the Dallas Symphony recently because he spent a good bit of time ranting to the orchestra about how Brexit has made artistic life so much harder. True, no doubt. But unfortunately it was during rehearsal time and the result was that they lost a considerable amount of the work day!
I see his point but that was not a good use of rehearsal time.

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
« Reply #6216 on: December 07, 2021, 06:13:03 AM »
Email received today from London's Southbank Centre:

Quote from: Southbank Centre
Thank you for booking to see Jurowski Conducts Rachmaninoff at the Royal Festival Hall on Wednesday 8 December 2021 at 7.30pm.

Please note that due to recently updated travel restrictions, Leonidas Kavakos is unable to perform with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

First the St Petersburg Philharmonic "cancelled due to Covid".  Now this.  I have half a mind just to return all my tickets for the rest of the season, and be done with it. >:(

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6217 on: December 07, 2021, 06:17:34 AM »
Hervé Niquet will conduct the Montreal Symphony in BerliozL’Enfance du Christ. Soloists include Marie-Claude Lemieux as Mary and Cyrille Dubois as the récitant. This is very tempting.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6218 on: December 07, 2021, 07:08:53 AM »
Hervé Niquet will conduct the Montreal Symphony in BerliozL’Enfance du Christ. Soloists include Marie-Claude Lemieux as Mary and Cyrille Dubois as the récitant. This is very tempting.
That is VERY tempting.

Email received today from London's Southbank Centre:

First the St Petersburg Philharmonic "cancelled due to Covid".  Now this.  I have half a mind just to return all my tickets for the rest of the season, and be done with it. >:(
That is VERY upsetting.
Who's the replacement and is there still time to catch Tabakova?

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6219 on: December 07, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
From 20 November, the concert I attended live by Ekmeles is now on YouTube. For those curious about microtonal, a cappella choral music (granted, perhaps a small niche 8)), this sextet is now among the best vocal groups in the world. I was mostly interested in a second hearing of Primo Libro (2017) by James Weeks, director of Exaudi, a similar ensemble in London. Weeks composed the piece using an octave divided into 31 tones.

Anyway, the program is just under an hour, and the rest of the works are fascinating, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR28hH14vg0

--Bruce

- Alfred Schnittke