What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

I attended this last night which is the opening subscription weekend for Nashville Symphony. It featured an all female composer program including the world premiere of Wolfe's Her Story which was also recorded for a future CD release. Easily the best overall experience I've had at the NSO in the five years I've been attending their concerts. The important significance of the programming was a powerful highlight, with Guerrero even speaking about this significance a bit at the beginning of the concert. Wolfe's Her Story was as much of an visual art performance as it was musical, with the Lorelei Ensemble moving to different spots of the balcony and stage, changing outfits and holding up signs. At times the members of the orchestra even stood pointing at the singers while calling them "communists". These are the kind of concerts that inspire me, and the energetic crowd seemed to be as well giving Wolfe who was in attendance what felt like a ten minute ovation afterwards. 

Nashville Symphony / Giancarlo Guerrero - conductor
Karen Walwyn - piano
Lorelei Ensemble - -vocal ensemble

Joan Tower: 1920/2019
Florence Price: Piano Concerto in One Movement

-Intermission-

Julia Wolfe: Her Story
World Premiere

Brian

This Sunday

CHERRY RHODES organ of Meyerson Symphony Hall, Dallas

BACH Präludium und Fuge e-moll
WILLIAM GRANT STILL Reverie
JEAN GUILLOU Ballade Ossianique No. 2, "Les chants de Selma"
FR. JOSEPH WALTER Chorale, Diferencias, & Glosas on Puer Natus in Bethlehem
LOUIS VIERNE Pièces de fantasie, Suite No. 2, "Clair de lune"
MAX REGER Fantasie und Fuge d-moll

Father Joseph Walter is a priest in Fredonia, New York who studied composition with Morton Feldman. Cherry Rhodes premiered this work in 2016 and, according to articles I've read online, it contains a cadenza for feet alone.

vandermolen

Tomorrow I'm supposed to be attending a Max Richter concert in London with my wife, daughter and son-in-law. However, there is another National Rail Strike, so who knows if I will get there!  :-\
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on September 30, 2022, 04:53:22 AM
On a Saturday you might be all right to drive in, though you'd need to watch out for the emissions charge if your car is more than a few years old.  For the Barbican I would generally go A2 / Old Kent Road / Southwark Bridge (other routes are available. ;D)  But plenty of parking once you get there (usually. ::))

Edit:  An alternative I did look at was driving to the O2 in Greenwich and getting the Jubilee Line from there, as the Tube may not be affected by the strike (not sure about tomorrow :-\.)  In the end I decided it was too much bother, plus who knows how long that drive in would take.
How very kind of you! Thank you :)
Well, I've booked a parking space in the Barbican Car Part (£9.00 - not too bad). Both of our cars are fine for the emissions. We'll be travelling in my wife's posh Kia Sportage (I have a small Ford KA - she has the large car, I have the small car - it reflects the power dynamics of our relationship  8))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

This Sunday...

Nashville Symphony | Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor |
Augustin Hadelich, violin | Nashville Symphony Women's Chorus 

Program
Kaija Saariaho: Asteroid 4179: Toutatis

Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto

Holst: The Planets

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on September 30, 2022, 04:53:22 AM
On a Saturday you might be all right to drive in, though you'd need to watch out for the emissions charge if your car is more than a few years old.  For the Barbican I would generally go A2 / Old Kent Road / Southwark Bridge (other routes are available. ;D)  But plenty of parking once you get there (usually. ::))

Edit:  An alternative I did look at was driving to the O2 in Greenwich and getting the Jubilee Line from there, as the Tube may not be affected by the strike (not sure about tomorrow :-\.)  In the end I decided it was too much bother, plus who knows how long that drive in would take.
We managed to get there (2.5 hours car journey - horrendous traffic). We followed Google Maps A2 then through East End. Coming back was much easier 1.5 hours. Thanks again for your advice. Concert was v enjoyable.
I see that Max Richter appears on the 'Worst Composers Ever' thread (some years ago). However, I rather like some of it, especially 'Exiles' and the Virginia Woolf inspired piece. I don't think that the extract from 'Sleep' worked well in concert, however.

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on October 02, 2022, 04:02:15 AM
Glad to hear you made it in OK.  2.5 hours is probably about average, sad to say - I would generally allow 2 hours from here.  The days when you could get from the M25 to the Festival Hall in 30 minutes are long gone chiz chiz >:( and now I let the train take the strain.  When there are trains. ::)
Thanks. Yes, trains would have been much better. Appreciate your advice.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2022, 12:00:53 PM
How very kind of you! Thank you :)
Well, I've booked a parking space in the Barbican Car Part (£9.00 - not too bad). Both of our cars are fine for the emissions. We'll be travelling in my wife's posh Kia Sportage (I have a small Ford KA - she has the large car, I have the small car - it reflects the power dynamics of our relationship  8))
[/i]   ;D
Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2022, 02:29:33 AM
We managed to get there (2.5 hours car journey - horrendous traffic). We followed Google Maps A2 then through East End. Coming back was much easier 1.5 hours. Thanks again for your advice. Concert was v enjoyable.
I see that Max Richter appears on the 'Worst Composers Ever' thread (some years ago). However, I rather like some of it, especially 'Exiles' and the Virginia Woolf inspired piece. I don't think that the extract from 'Sleep' worked well in concert, however.
Glad that you made it there in time and that you enjoyed yourselves.
Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 30, 2022, 02:38:09 PM
This Sunday...

Program

I don't know those works by her but do enjoy her Quatre Instants (with Mattila).  Oh, I just found that I have Toutalis (Asteroid 4179) on a recording in my iTunes library! Sounds like a great program.  Hope that you enjoyed it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wanderer

Quote from: Wanderer on August 16, 2022, 10:38:34 PM
Joseph Haydn
Symphonie Es-Dur, Hob. I:36
Symphonie B-Dur, Hob. I:16
Symphonie D-Dur, Hob. I:13

Brahms-Saal, Musikverein

Kammerorchester Basel
Giovanni Antonini, Dirigent

Crossposting from Haydn's Haus. The Hob. VIIa:1 Violin Concerto is officially on the program! 😎

E-mail received:

"Dear friends of music!

We are very much looking forward to the concerts of the current 2022/2023 season at Musikverein Wien. We are pleased to herewith send you information about one of your next concerts – the concert of Kammerorchester Basel in October 2022.

At the concert on Thursday, October 6, 2022 - 7:30 p.m. at our Brahms-Saal there will be a change in program: In addition to the works already scheduled, the Konzert für Violine und Orchester in C-Dur will now be performed as well, together with violinist Dmitry Smirnov.

The program of the concert, entitled "Per il Luigi" and conducted by Giovanni Antonini, is as follows:

Joseph Haydn
Symphonie Es-Dur, Hob. I:36
Konzert für Violine und Orchester C-Dur, Hob. VIIa:1

— Pause —

Joseph Haydn
Symphonie B-Dur, Hob. I:16
Symphonie D-Dur, Hob. I:13

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon to our house and remain with

Kind regards
Your Box Office

Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien"

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 12:19:13 PM
[/i]   ;DGlad that you made it there in time and that you enjoyed yourselves.I don't know those works by her but do enjoy her Quatre Instants (with Mattila).  Oh, I just found that I have Toutalis (Asteroid 4179) on a recording in my iTunes library! Sounds like a great program.  Hope that you enjoyed it!

PD
Thanks PD  :)

Valentino

Tuesday next week I'm meeting my father in Oslo for this amongst other doings:

The programme is called Mad Songs.
Iannis Xenakis / H. I. Biber:  Entrata
Henry Purcell: Bess of Bedlam
John Eccles:  Restless in thought
Georg Philipp Telemann:  Don Quijote Suite
Unknown:  Tom a Bedlam
H. I. F. Biber: Battalia á 10
Kurt Weill:  Sjørøver-Jenny / Mackie Messer fra Tolvskillingsoperaen
Friedrich Holländer: Münchausen 
Mischa Spolidansky:  Alles Schwindel
Astor Piazzolla: Oblivion
Alfredo Rubin:  Regin
Jose Dames:  Nada

Performers: The Norwegian Chamber Orchestra with members of the group Music for a While.

Picture of the band at the venue, Universitetets Aula. For those of you who do not know those paintings on the walls in there are by Edward Munch.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

bhodges

Quote from: Valentino on October 03, 2022, 11:33:49 PM
Tuesday next week I'm meeting my father in Oslo for this amongst other doings:

The programme is called Mad Songs.
Iannis Xenakis / H. I. Biber:  Entrata
Henry Purcell: Bess of Bedlam
John Eccles:  Restless in thought
Georg Philipp Telemann:  Don Quijote Suite
Unknown:  Tom a Bedlam
H. I. F. Biber: Battalia á 10
Kurt Weill:  Sjørøver-Jenny / Mackie Messer fra Tolvskillingsoperaen
Friedrich Holländer: Münchausen 
Mischa Spolidansky:  Alles Schwindel
Astor Piazzolla: Oblivion
Alfredo Rubin:  Regin
Jose Dames:  Nada

Performers: The Norwegian Chamber Orchestra with members of the group Music for a While.

Picture of the band at the venue, Universitetets Aula. For those of you who do not know those paintings on the walls in there are by Edward Munch.

What an unusual program! Hoping the actual concert is as good as it looks. (I know the Norwegian ensemble, but not the other one.)

-Bruce

bhodges

Looking forward to these, just a few days apart. Both ensembles are new to me.

Apollon Musagète Quartet with Garrick Ohlsson
Schubert: Quartet in D Major, D. 94
Schubert: Quartet in B-flat Major, D. 36
Shostakovich: Piano Quintet in G Minor, Op. 57

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/apollon-musagete-quartet-ohlsson/

Jerusalem Quartet
Mendelssohn: Quartet in E-Minor, Op. 44, No. 2
Webern: Langsamer Satz
Tchaikovsky: Quartet in D Major, Op. 11

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/jerusalem-quartet-2022/

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on October 04, 2022, 05:16:19 AM

Jerusalem Quartet

-Bruce
They're bringing that exact program to Dallas late spring next year. Very excited.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 30, 2022, 02:38:09 PM
This Sunday...

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 12:19:13 PM
[/i]  I don't know those works by her but do enjoy her Quatre Instants (with Mattila).  Oh, I just found that I have Toutalis (Asteroid 4179) on a recording in my iTunes library! Sounds like a great program.  Hope that you enjoyed it!

PD

Good morning, PD. Yes it was a great concert. The Nashville Symphony has gathered a lot of younger players lately that can absolutely shred, the orchestra sounds fantastic.
However the highlight of the evening was Augustin Hadelich, some of the finest violin playing I've heard.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 04, 2022, 06:10:30 AM
Good morning, PD. Yes it was a great concert. The Nashville Symphony has gathered a lot of younger players lately that can absolutely shred, the orchestra sounds fantastic.
However the highlight of the evening was Augustin Hadelich, some of the finest violin playing I've heard.
Haven't heard of him before.  Is he a relatively new artist on the scene or established?

By the way, have you heard any works by Connie Ellisor?  Her composition Blackberry Winter is often played around here.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on October 04, 2022, 05:16:19 AM
Looking forward to these, just a few days apart. Both ensembles are new to me.

Apollon Musagète Quartet with Garrick Ohlsson
Schubert: Quartet in D Major, D. 94
Schubert: Quartet in B-flat Major, D. 36
Shostakovich: Piano Quintet in G Minor, Op. 57

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/apollon-musagete-quartet-ohlsson/

Jerusalem Quartet

-Bruce

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2022, 06:16:58 AM
Haven't heard of him before.  Is he a relatively new artist on the scene or established?
I think Hadelich came on the scene around 2010 - he has toured Texas a few times (I saw him do the Tchaikovsky in San Antonio). His recordings include the Haydn violin concertos, Thomas Ades, and a number of discs on EMI/Warner. Gorgeous tone. As a teenager, he suffered severe burns in a farm accident and was unable to play or practice violin for a full year, an experience that he says makes him cherish the opportunity to keep playing now even more dearly.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on October 04, 2022, 06:32:41 AM
I think Hadelich came on the scene around 2010 - he has toured Texas a few times (I saw him do the Tchaikovsky in San Antonio). His recordings include the Haydn violin concertos, Thomas Ades, and a number of discs on EMI/Warner. Gorgeous tone. As a teenager, he suffered severe burns in a farm accident and was unable to play or practice violin for a full year, an experience that he says makes him cherish the opportunity to keep playing now even more dearly.
Thanks for the info!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2022, 06:35:34 AM
Thanks for the info!

PD

Adding to Brian's comments, Hadelich has become one of my favorite violinists. (Not to mention, I have been fortunate to interview him several times.) And even without his early tragedy—which would have likely ended the career of some musicians—he has triumphed. Here is one of my faves, Four Iberian Miniatures by Francisco Coll, for violin and chamber orchestra, a charming, off-the-radar work that deserves wider exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2PpViCpOo

--Bruce