Author Topic: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)  (Read 762062 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
Re: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)
« Reply #6420 on: August 01, 2022, 10:15:10 AM »
At Ravinia this Friday, a nicely balanced Latin-themed program:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Carlos Miguel Prieto, conductor
Conrad Tao, piano

Claude Debussy:   Ibéria from Images pour orchestre
Maurice Ravel:      Piano Concerto
Gabriela Ortiz:      Téenek (Invenciones de territorio)
Aaron Copland:      El Salón México
José Pablo Moncayo:   Huapango
Will be curious about the Gabriela Ortiz, as the Dallas Symphony is getting one of her works (maybe a premiere) next year, coupled to Gabriela Montero performing her own piano concerto.

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #6421 on: August 06, 2022, 08:47:58 AM »
What a great program! I'm a big fan of Conrad Tao (who performs a lot of new music), and would love to hear what he does with the Ravel.

Will be curious about the Gabriela Ortiz, as the Dallas Symphony is getting one of her works (maybe a premiere) next year, coupled to Gabriela Montero performing her own piano concerto.

Yeah, this was a good one. Conrad Tao was a new name to me, but he nailed the Ravel and gave us an encore (some Art Tatum). The conductor (Prieto) talked to the audience about the music, and he was mercifully brief and on point.

The Ortiz piece, which kicked off the Mexican-flavored second half, was very heavy on complex rhythms and percussive atmosphere; there was a sense of Latin American folk rhythms subjected to some kind of psychotropic process; the result was quite lurid. Prieto told us to watch out for a mambo at the end, but that was hard to discern. On first listen an interesting experience, but I admit that the more established follow-ups, by Copland and Moncayo, made a bigger impression.

I liked the second half more than the first, but I've never been a big fan of those French Impressionists anyway. Still, the whole concert was fun, and was a great example of the sort of colorful, extroverted program that works best at these summer, outdoor festivals.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #6422 on: August 10, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »
What concerts are you tragically going to miss?

This fall, I fly out of a city 6 hours before Fazil Say plays a recital in it.  :(

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #6423 on: August 10, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »
Well, in February I’ll either miss Tristan und Isolde at Opéra Bastille or Peter Grimes at Palais Garnier. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #6424 on: August 16, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »
October in Vienna: Schmidt’s Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln, a Haydn 2032 concert (Symphonies Nos. 36, 16 & 13) by Antonini and Kammerorchester Basel and Rigoletto and Jenůfa at the Staatsoper. Looking forward to them all.

Franz Schmidt
Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln
(Aus der Offenbarung des Johannes - Oratorium für Solisten, Chor, Orchester und Orgel)

Grosser Saal, Musikverein

Wiener Symphoniker

Singverein der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien

Ingo Metzmacher, Dirigent

Christian Elsner, Tenor

Stephen Milling, Bass

Siobhan Stagg, Sopran

Dorottya Láng, Mezzosopran

Maximilian Schmitt, Tenor

Jan Martiník, Bass

Robert Kovács, Orgel

Joseph Haydn

Symphonie Es-Dur, Hob. I:36
Symphonie B-Dur, Hob. I:16
Symphonie D-Dur, Hob. I:13

Brahms-Saal, Musikverein

Kammerorchester Basel
Giovanni Antonini, Dirigent

Giuseppe Verdi
RIGOLETTO

*       Musical Direction Pier Giorgio Morandi
*       Production Pierre Audi
*       With Benjamin Bernheim, Simon Keenlyside, Erin Morley, Evgeny Solodovnikov, Monika Bohinec

Leos Janáček
JENUFA
*       Musical Direction Tomáš Hanus
*       Production David Pountney
*       With David Butt Philip, Michael Laurenz, Violeta Urmana, Asmik Grigorian

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #6425 on: August 16, 2022, 10:07:21 PM »
September 17 - Arnhem - the Netherlands - I hope to be there...

Ed Spanjaard - dirigent
Nikkie Treurniet - sopraan
Drew Santini - bariton
Brabant Koor
Peter Blok - declamator

Herman Strategier: Requiem in memoriam matris et fratris
Herman Strategier: Arnhemsche Psalm (1955)

Herman Strategier's oratorio “Arnhemsche Psalm” will be performed in Musis Sacrum in Arnhem. Due to the corona vicissitudes, the performance originally planned for 2020 had to be postponed. The board of the foundation is very pleased that the performance can now continue.
Phion Orchestra (the merged Orchestra of the East and the Gelders Orkest ), Ed Spanjaard conductor.
https://www.phion.nl/?gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hPxRAnKy_t6uMzNZdpV9_4LFPVEjF0gBk2IWbq4ylRyO071T1e6X6BoCMlsQAvD_BwE
In addition to the Arnhem Psalm, Herman Strategier's “Requiem” will also be performed. He wrote this work in memory of, among others, his only brother who died in the Neuengamme concentration camp in the light of the liberation in 1945. Both works fit very well in the commemoration of the Battle of Arnhem, which is commemorated annually in September.
https://www.hermanstrategier.nl/agenda/index.html
https://donemus.nl/composer/herman-strategier/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:38:04 PM by pjme »