What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Wanderer

Offenbach: Les contes d'Hoffmann - at the Greek National Opera. Going tomorrow (premiere) and on Tuesday (alternate cast). A co-production with La Monnaie (Brussels).

Stella – Olympia – Antonia – Giulietta 
Νicole Chevalier (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Vassiliki Karayanni (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)

La Muse – Nicklausse
Mary-Ellen Nesi (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Marissia Papalexiou (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)

Voice from the Grave
Margarita Syngeniotou (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Anna Tselika (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023) 
Hoffmann 
Adam Smith (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023) 
Yannis Christopoulos (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Lindorf – Coppélius – Dr Miracle
Dapertutto
Tassos Apostolou (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023) 
Petros Magoulas (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Spalanzani – Nathanaël 
Andreas Karaoulis (18, 20, 28/12/2022 & 5/1/2023) 
Dionisios Melogiannidis (22, 29/12/2022 & 4, 8/1/2023)
Crespel – Luther
Christophoros Stamboglis (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Yanni Yannissis (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Hermann - Peter Schlémil
George Mattheakakis (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Georgios Papadimitriou (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Andrès – Cochenille – Frantz – Pitichinaccio 
Christos Kechris (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023)
Yannis Kalyvas (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Wolfram
Panagiotis Priftis (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023) 
Nikos Katsigiannis (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)
Wilhelm 
Marinos Tarnanas (18, 22, 29/12/2022 & 4/1/2023) 
Christos Rammopoulos (20, 28/12/2022 & 5, 8/1/2023)

With the Orchestra and Chorus of the Greek National Opera

Conductor
Lukas Karytinos

Director
Krzysztof Warlikowski
Sets, costumes
Małgorzata Szczęśniak
Choreography
Claude Bardouil
Lighting
Felice Ross
Video design
Denis Guéguin
Dramaturgy
Christian Longchamp
Chorus master
Agathangelos Georgakatos

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on December 16, 2022, 10:24:21 AM...La Sonnambula on December 23rd at the Teatro Real here in Madrid.

The set looks needlessly gloomy in that photograph, but oh, what a splendid work. Enjoy!  8)

ritter

Well, La Sonnambula last night was simply outstanding! Nadine Sierra (this production is her rôle debut, her first complete opera at the Teatro Real, and apparently her first complete Bellini opera anywhere) is a soprano of the highest rank. She has all that is required: coloratura, trills, legato, wonderful phrasing, and a rich tone. She composed a very credible character both vocally and scenically. I hadn't heard singing of this quality and conviction for many, many years. She received a well-deserved standing ovation at the end.

Xabier Anduaga as Elvino started out rather unnuancedly, flaunting his potent tenor voice. As the evening progressed, he improved markedly, and was a superb partner to Ms. Sierra. The rest of the soloists were very good as well, with Roberto Tagliavini standing out as the count.

Maurizio Benini conducted lovingly and knowingly, and his relatively slow tempi suited the pastoral nature of the score.

The production by Bárbara Lluch (granddaughter of the esteemed actress and producer Nuria Espert) was dark and had a couple of feminist twists, but these were unobtrusive, and respected the bucolic, Biedermeierish Helvetic setting of the work.

A great evening at the opera. IMHO, only this art form permits a work with as silly a plot as this one become a memorable aesthetic experience, thanks in this case to Bellini's beautiful, long melodies and wonderful vocal writing.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 24, 2022, 12:45:39 AMa work with as silly a plot as this one

Do you know anything more silly than a man who has just been stabbed singing for half an hour?  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

DaveF

BBC National Orchestra of Wales at the Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff, 27th Jan.

Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Thierry Pécou: Cara Bali Concerto
Martinů: Symphony no.3

As far as I can remember, in nearly 50 years of concert-going, I've never heard any Martinů performed.  Any Welsh members fancy meeting up at this one?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

bhodges

Quote from: DaveF on December 28, 2022, 02:40:30 AMBBC National Orchestra of Wales at the Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff, 27th Jan.

Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Thierry Pécou: Cara Bali Concerto
Martinů: Symphony no.3

As far as I can remember, in nearly 50 years of concert-going, I've never heard any Martinů performed.  Any Welsh members fancy meeting up at this one?

50 years is a long time, but this concert looks fantastic, and worth waiting for!

-Bruce

bhodges

For New Year's Eve breakfast, this fun-looking livestream with the Berlin Philharmonic, Kirill Petrenko, and tenor Jonas Kaufmann. (Yes, for friends in San Francisco, that would be 8:30 am. ;D )

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/54496

-Bruce

DaveF

Quote from: Brewski on December 30, 2022, 01:16:35 PM50 years is a long time, but this concert looks fantastic, and worth waiting for!

Yes, I hope so.  Don't know Thierry Pécou, but I think he may be the 5th member of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band:

I realise my post could be interpreted to mean that I'd never heard anything by Martinů.  No, live in concert, I mean.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

bhodges

Just spoke with a friend in Cincinnati, who was wildly excited after Augustin Hadelich in Britten's Violin Concerto with Thomas Søndergård in his debut with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and loved the Sibelius 2nd Symphony that followed.

So I looked at their spring schedule, which is quite enticing, and ends with Mahler 8 on May 27, which will be livestreamed:

https://mayfestival.com/concerts-and-events/buy-tickets/2023-season/mahlers-symphony-of-a-thousand/

-Bruce

Wanderer

Sala Santa Cecilia, Rome, 19 January:

Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia
direttore Antonio Pappano
pianoforte Vikingur Ólafsson

I colori del Novecento

Prokofiev: Sinfonia n. 1 "Classica"         
Ravel: Concerto in Sol   
Sibelius: Sinfonia n. 5

When I booked this some months ago, the pianist was supposed to be Martha Argerich; however, her not being able to perform was always a very real possibility. Last time I attended a concert of hers was a number of years ago in Athens and hopefully I'll be able to see her again performing before she stops concertizing altogether. The notifying e-mail came a couple of days ago. I of course won't be asking for a refund (the choice is given); Ólaffson is a very exciting substitution and I also really want to see this particular ensemble performing my beloved Sibelius Fifth under Pappano. Not to mention what a great venue the Sala Santa Cecilia is in its own right. Really looking forward to this!

Edit: Martha Argerich seems to have cancelled all concerts until further notice; unfortunately, it doesn't seem it's just a minor health issue. Hopefully, she will make a full recovery. We need her with us, and not necessarily on the concert platform. 
Martha Argerich souffre d'un problème cardiaque : A 81 ans, la pianiste doit à nouveau annuler des concerts

Wanderer

I have no idea why the font in my previous post got so damn big. I just copied/pasted from my notes app, in which the text appeared normal. Is this another feature of the new software? 😕

bhodges

Really looking forward to this free livestreamed concert next Sunday afternoon (Jan. 22, 2:00 pm Central) with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. I heard Randall Goosby live twice in 2022—a superstar in the making—and the Prokofiev is one of my favorites.

https://www.cincinnatisymphony.org/watch-listen/free-livestreams/

Louis Langrée, conductor
Randall Goosby, violin

Julia Perry: Homunculus C.F.
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 3

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on January 14, 2023, 12:12:37 PMReally looking forward to this free livestreamed concert next Sunday afternoon (Jan. 22, 2:00 pm Central) with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. I heard Randall Goosby live twice in 2022—a superstar in the making—and the Prokofiev is one of my favorites.

https://www.cincinnatisymphony.org/watch-listen/free-livestreams/

Louis Langrée, conductor
Randall Goosby, violin

Julia Perry: Homunculus C.F.
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 3

-Bruce
If you get excited enough to follow along, he is also playing the Tchaikovsky in Dallas the following week, and the coupling is the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra. I'm going!

Last night we went to the DSO in this program:

Coleridge-Taylor: Solemn Prelude
Grieg: Concerto (with Paul Lewis)
Sibelius: Symphony No. 2
Ryan Bancroft, conductor

Unfortunately, it was a disappointment for reasons I'll discuss in the brand new Grieg Concerto recordings thread when I get a chance tomorrow or Monday.

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2023, 05:29:29 PMIf you get excited enough to follow along, he is also playing the Tchaikovsky in Dallas the following week, and the coupling is the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra. I'm going!

Ooh, envious. I wish the DSO did streaming; I would definitely tune in now and then.

Sorry about the less-than-ideal concert last night. :-\

-Bruce

Mapman

I'll also see Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra soon, as my university's orchestra will perform it. That concert in Dallas sounds fun!

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on January 14, 2023, 05:54:57 PMOoh, envious. I wish the DSO did streaming; I would definitely tune in now and then.

Sorry about the less-than-ideal concert last night. :-\

-Bruce
After we just had that conversation, I got a text from my mother...who is currently at a San Antonio Philharmonic* concert featuring... Randall Goosby playing the Tchaikovsky concerto!

*The Symphony disbanded because ownership demanded the musicians take a pay cut. Then the musicians formed their own self-owned communal group, the Philharmonic, without an ownership class. It's an experiment in talent owned artistic enterprise!

brewski

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2023, 06:24:50 PMAfter we just had that conversation, I got a text from my mother...who is currently at a San Antonio Philharmonic* concert featuring... Randall Goosby playing the Tchaikovsky concerto!

*The Symphony disbanded because ownership demanded the musicians take a pay cut. Then the musicians formed their own self-owned communal group, the Philharmonic, without an ownership class. It's an experiment in talent owned artistic enterprise!

Continuing (before a slip of the finger accidentally deleted my account, "Happy New Year" ;D ), I did hear the news of the San Antonio orchestra, which was sad, but did not hear this pleasant coda. Hope they make it.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)