What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

This weekend in Berlin:

Puccini: Turandot

Staatsoper Unter den Linden

Turandot: ELENA PANKRATOVA
Calaf: IVAN MAGRÌ
Altoum: JAN JEŽEK
Timur: RENÉ PAPE
Liù: OLGA PERETYATKO
Ping: GYULA ORENDT
Pang: ANDRÉS MORENO GARCÍA
Pong: SIYABONGA MAQUNGO
A Mandarin: FRIEDRICH HAMEL

STAATSOPERNCHOR
KINDERCHOR DER STAATSOPER
STAATSKAPELLE BERLIN

Conductor: MAXIME PASCAL
Director: PHILIPP STÖLZL

Korngold: Das Wunder der Heliane

Deutsche Oper Berlin

Heliane: Sara Jakubiak
Der Herrscher, ihr Gemahl: Jordan Shanahan
Der Fremde: Mihails Culpajevs
Die Botin: Maiju Vaahtoluoto
Der Pförtner: Derek Welton
Der blinde Schwertrichter: Burkhard Ulrich
Der junge Mann: Kieran Carrel
6 Richter: Andrew Dickinson, Daniel Nicholson, Artur Garbas, Kangyoon Shine Lee, Simon Wallfisch, Ossian Huskinson
2 Seraphische Stimmen: Sua Jo, Meechot Marrero

Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin
Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Conductor: Marc Albrecht
Director: Christof Loy

ritter

Nice operatic weekend, Tassos! Enjoy!

Wanderer

Brian

Unexpected opportunity fell into my lap to see the revived, musician-owned co-op San Antonio Philharmonic at the end of this month:

Brett Mitchell, conductor
William Wolfram, piano

Falla: Suite No. 1 from The Three-Cornered Hat
Liszt: Concerto No. 2
Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 3 "Scottish"

It's not the most exciting program by any means, not one I'd usually go out for. But the orchestra's revival as a self-operated musician-led group is a very nice story. And the ticket price is right  8)

vandermolen

A friend has invited us on Saturday to see a concert by the 'Sidcup Symphony Orchestra' (apparently they are quite good). The programme should be more appealing to my wife than the recent Lyatoshynsky etc concert that we heard in London, so hopefully, this time, she won't need to cover her ears with her hands.

Mendelssohn: Hebrides Overture
Beethoven: PC No.4
Dvorak: Symphony No.8
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2023, 09:18:29 AMFunny - I lived in Sidcup for a while in the mid-80s, and this is the first I've heard of the SSO. ::)  Hope it's a good evening. :)
http://www.sidcupsymphony.org.uk/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2023, 09:18:29 AMFunny - I lived in Sidcup for a while in the mid-80s, and this is the first I've heard of the SSO. ::)  Hope it's a good evening. :)
Thank you!

LKB

Got home about an hour ago from the Vienna Philharmonic performing Bruckner's Eighth, Thielmann conducting.

The orchestra was in very good form, richly balanced and blended. l was particularly impressed with the violins, basses, horns and woodwinds.

A very impressive and persuasive reading, though Thielmann still needlessly pushes the tempo in a few places.

Tonight's encore was Josef Strauss's Sphärenklänge, and it was perfection itself. 👍
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vandermolen

I enjoyed the Sidcup SO concert on Saturday night. Obviously they are not the Vienna Philharmonic, although the standard was still high. I would guess that the orchestra consists of retired professional players and budding newcomers. The woodwind were especially impressive and the soloist in Beethoven's 4th PC was excellent in all respects. My wife, myself and a friend also enjoyed Dvorak's 8th Symphony (my favourite of his symphonies) and Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture as well as the Lebanese restaurant where we eat! I might go back in May for the next concert:
Gershwin' An American in Paris'
Falla 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain'
Mussorgsky (orch. Ravel) 'Pictures at an Exhibition'

LKB

Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2023, 04:52:32 AMI enjoyed the Sidcup SO concert on Saturday night. Obviously they are not the Vienna Philharmonic, although the standard was still high. I would guess that the orchestra consistes of retired professional players and budding newcomers. The woodwind were especially impressive and the soloist in Beethoven's 4th PC was excellent in all respects. My wife, myself and a friend also enjoyed Dvorak's 8th Symphony (my favourite of his symphonies) and Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture as well as the Lebanese restaurant where we eat! I might go back in May for the next concert:
Gershwin' An American in Paris'
Falla 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain'
Mussorgsky (orch. Ravel) 'Pictures at an Exhibition'

Sound's like a fun time, the next program also.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

VonStupp

A couple of warhorses are coming up that I am debating traveling to. I am probably most excited to see McCreesh and Antonini nearby, but I feel lucky to have many choices around me.

Chicago SO w/ Osmo Vänskä - this weekend
Orff: Carmina Burana

Minnesota Orchestra w/ Paul McCreesh - end of March
Haydn: The Creation

Milwaukee SO w/ Ken-David Masur - end of March
Mendelssohn: Elijah

CSO w/ Giovanni Antonini (May)
Vivaldi: Gloria, et al.

Milwaukee SO w/ Ken-David Masur (June)
Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'

CSO w/ Riccardo Muti (June)
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

brewski

Quote from: VonStupp on March 14, 2023, 05:42:33 AMA couple of warhorses are coming up that I am debating traveling to. I am probably most excited to see McCreesh and Antonini nearby, but I feel lucky to have many choices around me.

Chicago SO w/ Osmo Vänskä - this weekend
Orff: Carmina Burana

Minnesota Orchestra w/ Paul McCreesh - end of March
Haydn: The Creation

Milwaukee SO w/ Ken-David Masur - end of March
Mendelssohn: Elijah

CSO w/ Giovanni Antonini (May)
Vivaldi: Gloria, et al.

Milwaukee SO w/ Ken-David Masur (June)
Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'

CSO w/ Riccardo Muti (June)
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis

Nice! I would travel for many of these. (I can attest that Minnesota has been on fire lately, having watched their livestreams or listening on Minnesota Public Radio.)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Tomorrow night, thanks to Minnesota Public Radio, listening live online to this concert, with cellist Johannes Moser, conductor Michael Francis, and the Minnesota Orchestra.

https://www.yourclassical.org/schedule/classical-mpr/2023-03-17

Beethoven/Cadenbach - Grosse Fuge for String Orchestra
Shostakovich - Cello Concerto No. 1
Montgomery - Strum
Mozart - Symphony No. 41, Jupiter

-Bruce

brewski

Tonight a longtime friend is celebrating his birthday at the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, with conductor Stéphane Denève and pianist Vikingur Ólafsson. Earlier he was texting me photos of his pre-concert dinner with "wish you were here," and I was hoping they might be broadcasting live, but alas.

Never mind: they're airing it on Saturday, here.

Prokofiev: The Love for Three Oranges Suite
Grieg: Piano Concerto
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

-Bruce

Mapman

I'm planning to see the complete Beethoven works for Cello and Piano this weekend.

brewski

Quote from: Mapman on March 16, 2023, 05:44:39 PMI'm planning to see the complete Beethoven works for Cello and Piano this weekend.

That sounds like a marathon! Who and where?

-Bruce

Mapman

Quote from: brewski on March 16, 2023, 05:46:30 PMThat sounds like a marathon! Who and where?

-Bruce

It's two concerts, on Friday and Sunday (still a lot of music for them to learn, though). The cellist is a professor. More information is here: https://www.music.msu.edu/assets/Programs/2023.03.17_Bagratuni-Beethoven.pdf

Brian

Already hyped for this concert that is still 52 weeks away:

Rameau: Suite in A minor
Mozart: Sonata No 12
Mendelssohn: Variations sérieuses
Beethoven: Hammerklavier

Daniil Trifonov
Meyerson Symphony Center, Dallas
March 12, 2024

Mapman

Quote from: Mapman on March 16, 2023, 05:44:39 PMI'm planning to see the complete Beethoven works for Cello and Piano this weekend.

The first part was great! 12 Variations on 'See the conqu'ring hero comes', WoO 45 are an excellent set of variations; the minor variations are especially beautiful and the 3/8 finale is a clever transformation of the theme. I was also impressed with the first theme of Sonata No. 1, op. 5/1 — it's one of Beethoven's better melodies.

The cello and piano could combine for an impressively powerful sound at times. The sonatas were played without repeats, which I find acceptable given the ambitious program.

Brian

Tomorrow at Dallas' symphony hall:

CHRISTIAN SCHMITT organ
(many of you may have heard his work on the CPO label)

BACH Passacaglia and Fugue
ARVO PÄRT Annum per annum (Year by Year)
FRANCK Chorale No. 3
THEO BRANDMÜLLER "Die Kruezigung" (The Crucifixion) & "Pieta" from Sieben Stücke zur Passionszeit (Seven Works for Passiontide)
CHARLES MARIE WIDOR "Moderato" from Symphony No. 10, "Romane"
LISZT Prelude after J. S. Bach "Cantata Weinen Klagen Sorgen Zagen"