What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judith

Amazing concert yesterday afternoon with local orchestra
Leeds Haydn Players
performed

Haydn Symphony no 16
Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
Beethoven Symphony no 8

Soloist  Alessandro Emilio Pacik
Conductor  Melvin Tay

brewski

Tonight at 7:30 (EDT), another livestream from the Bowdoin International Music Festival, with the Ying Quartet:

Mozart: String Quartet No. 22 in B-flat Major, K. 589, Op. 18, No. 2, "Prussian"
Kevin Puts: Dark Vigil
Dvořák: String Quartet No. 13 in G Major, Op. 106

https://www.bowdoinfestival.org/event/ying-quartet-2023/

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Tonight, this concert by the National Youth Orchestra of the USA, with Sir Andrew Davis conducting and Gil Shaham on violin:

Valerie Coleman - Giants of Light (World Premiere, commissioned by Carnegie Hall)
Barber - Violin Concerto, Op. 14
Berlioz- Symphonie fantastique

Listen live at 8:00 pm at the link below:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/national-youth-orchestra-united-states-america-23/

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: brewski on July 14, 2023, 10:51:12 AMTonight, this concert by the National Youth Orchestra of the USA, with Sir Andrew Davis conducting and Gil Shaham on violin:

Valerie Coleman - Giants of Light (World Premiere, commissioned by Carnegie Hall)
Barber - Violin Concerto, Op. 14
Berlioz- Symphonie fantastique

Listen live at 8:00 pm at the link below:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/national-youth-orchestra-united-states-america-23/

-Bruce
They're touring Dallas next weekend but with Hilary Hahn playing Tchaikovsky rather than Shaham in Barber. We saw Randall Goosby do the Tchaikovsky only 5 months ago so I'm torn...

Bachtoven

Several, but in particular piano recitals by Daniil Trifonov (San Francisco) and Vikingur Olafsson (Berkeley).

Brian

A free chamber music concert this afternoon, part of a local free "Basically Beethoven" festival:

Beethoven | "Kreutzer" Sonata
Stravinsky | Suite italienne

Chloe Trevor, violin
Alex McDonald, piano

I don't know the artists, but the program is an appealing reason to get out of the house on a Sunday afternoon, the venue is a cool room (Moody Performance Hall, for the Texans here), and the price is right! We're making a day of it by getting sushi for lunch and maybe a quick drink in between.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2023, 06:16:01 AMthe venue is a cool room

Is the room cool in the literal or metaphorical sense? I think the first would be more important under current circumstances.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 24, 2023, 06:18:21 AMIs the room cool in the literal or metaphorical sense? I think the first would be more important under current circumstances.
It turned out to be architecturally cool but climatologically warm. I never stopped sweating from the walk there  :(  ;D

Ms. Trevor's tone/pitch was somewhat wobbly in the Stravinsky, which came first. I started to worry about the possibility of a Kreutzer from a near amateur violinist, but it turned out they'd allocated almost all their rehearsal time to the Beethoven, which came off relatively better. McDonald, the pianist, had a sharp, incisive style (lots of ear-catching staccato) that allowed him to assert himself as an equal partner throughout. Worth seeing for his contribution, but hey, it was free, and most definitely worth that price no matter what!

brewski

This Sunday, July 30, at 6:00 pm EDT, Mahler's Third Symphony with Robert Spano, Kelley O'Connor, AOTVA Treble Chorus and Colorado Children's Chorale, and the Aspen Festival Orchestra:

https://www.aspenmusicfestival.com/events/calendar/livestream-aspen-festival-orchestra-5/

-Bruce

Wanderer

This coming season, in Athens:

Felix Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 
Felix Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream: Overture (Op. 21)
and stage music (Op. 61)

Flore van Meerssche
Diana Haller
La Capella Nacional de Catalunya
Le Concert des Nations
Jordi Savall

Sergei Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64 (excerpts)
Franz Liszt: Totentanz, S. 126
Frédéric Chopin: Andante spianato et Grande Polonaise brillante for piano & orchestra, Op. 22
Béla Bartók: Suite from The Miraculous Mandarin, Op. 19

Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra
Alevtina Ιoffe
Alexander Malofeev, piano

Joseph Haydn: Piano Sonata No. 34 in E minor, Hob. XVI: 34
Maurice Ravel: Menuet sur le nom d'Haydn
Maurice Ravel: Miroirs
W. A. Mozart: Adagio in B minor, K. 540
Franz Liszt: 3 Sonetti del Petrarcha, S. 158 
Franz Liszt: Après une lecture de Dante. Fantasia quasi Sonata

Seing-Jin Cho, piano

brewski

As the Bowdoin Festival nears its end, one more enticing livestream tonight:

Milhaud: Suite, Op. 157b
Derek Bermel, clarinet • Sergiu Schwartz, violin • Jon Nakamatsu, piano

Andreia Pinto Correia (b. 1971): Night Migrations
Renée Jolles, violin • David Ying, cello • Tao Lin, piano

George Walker (1922–2018): Sonata for Cello and Piano
Denise Djokic, cello • Jeewon Park, piano

Brahms: String Sextet No. 1 in B-flat Major, Op. 18 
Robin Scott, violin • Russell Iceberg*, violin • Kirsten Docter, viola • Steven Baloue*, viola • Amir Eldan, cello • Isaac Berglind*, cello

*Bowdoin Festival Fellows

Watch here, free:
https://www.bowdoinfestival.org/festivalive/

-Bruce

Brian

Fun fact: Russell Iceberg has a trio at his music school with Amanda Romaine and Giovanni Arugula.

...OK, OK, I'll ban myself for that one...   :-[  :-[

brewski

Tonight, this concert with two artists new to me, Heyward and Lamsma, and the second time hearing the Barber in a month (after Gil Shaham). 

Jonathon Heyward, conductor
Simone Lamsma, violin
Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra

Jessie Montgomery Records of a Vanishing City
Samuel Barber Violin Concerto
Robert Schumann Symphony No. 3 ("Rhenish")

-Bruce

brewski

Tonight, livestreamed from Aspen:

Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra
(conductor TBA)
Ken Kagawa, trombone

Stucky: Rhapsodies
Grøndahl: Trombone Concerto
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

Watch here.

-Bruce

brewski

Quote from: brewski on August 09, 2023, 06:35:32 AMTonight, livestreamed from Aspen:

Aspen Conducting Academy Orchestra
(conductor TBA)
Ken Kagawa, trombone

Stucky: Rhapsodies
Grøndahl: Trombone Concerto
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

Watch here.

-Bruce

Though I missed the first work on the concert (Steven Stucky's Rhapsodies) due to some tech issues, the concert featured not one, but nine different young conductors—one for each movement of each piece. So the Bartók Concerto for Orchestra had five. All very promising.

-Bruce

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Ravinia this Thursday:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Joshua Weilerstein, conductor
Alisa Weilerstein, cellist

Still: Poem for Orchestra
Elgar: Cello Concerto
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5

I gather A. Weilerstein has made kind of a signature piece of the Elgar concerto. I didn't know she had a brother who was a conductor. The bro-sis team should be interesting to watch.

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

This San Antonio Philharmonic (collective, worker-owned orchestra) concert in October looks so cool I will try to road trip down:

Gabriella Smith | Field Guide
Arutiunian | Trumpet Concerto
Reena Esmail | Avartan
Sibelius | Symphony No. 5

Vinay Parameswaran, conductor
Tine Thing Helseth, trumpet

brewski

On Thursday, Aug. 31, the Frankfurt Radio Symphony presents its annual summer broadcast. I've become a big fan of these concerts, not particularly because of the programming (though in this case, I actually like most of the chestnuts below). But the sound and video are outstanding, and capture the atmosphere of the occasion. Though many people are in the audience in front of the stage, the theater is adjacent to a river, and many people watch from boats parked nearby. Further, the tech crew uses drones to show photos of the neighborhood, with additional people enjoying the concert from their windows or other vantage points.

Frankfurt Radio Symphony
MILOŠ | Guitar
Alain Altinoglu | Conductor

Korngold | Suite from The Lord of the Seven Seas
Dukas | The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez
R. Strauss | Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks
Debussy | Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune
Ravel | Boléro

-Bruce

ritter

I couldn't inform beforehand, but I attended a Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday night, invited by my daughter. New Zealand conductor Gemma New led the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

The concert opened with the European premiere of Canadian Samy Moussa's Second Symphony. Some nice orchestral writing, but it appeared a bit rhapsodic to me in its construction —somehow this one-movement work reminded me of Sibelius' Seventh—. The work and composer (who was present in the hall) garnered warm applause.

Then we got Pavel Kolesnikov playing the Shostakovich Second Piano Concerto quite wonderfully. The work itself is not to my liking, though: it's archetypical of its composer's alternation of the schmaltzy and the sardonic, which irritates me.

Then we got the pièce de resistance of the concert: Stravinsky's Firebird (the full ballet). This piece holds a special place in my daughter's heart (one of her first visits to a theatre was to see the ballet fully staged —recreating the original Fokine choreography and Bakst sets— at the Teatro Real in Madrid when she was 5 years or so of age) and is a perennial favourite of mine. It was ver eloquently presented by Ms. New and the orchestra. A pleasure to hear this wonderful score live in concert.

I'm now in the Scottish Highlands, and will probably not be posting much until the end of next week.

brewski

What a great-sounding concert! Big fan of the complete Firebird, too, and love the story about your daughter. Early classical music experiences are priceless—I know mine were—and I hope she will thank you endlessly.

-Bruce