What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Yay, tomorrow's the day. I'm not that familiar with either of these ensembles, nor with the first two works, but the Octet has become a firm favorite and I'm excited to see what they do with it.

The 8:00 p.m. curtain in London means 3:00 p.m. for those of us on the East coast — an ideal matinee.

-Bruce

Quote from: brewski on February 26, 2024, 06:03:19 PMIt's a few months away (in June) but I'm already looking forward to this livestream from Wigmore Hall.

Elias String Quartet
Heath Quartet

Mendelssohn
String Quartet No. 4 in E minor Op. 44 No. 2
String Quintet No. 1 in A Op. 18
Octet in E flat Op. 20

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Just found out that the final concert with conductor Michael Stern and the Kansas City Symphony will be streamed on Medici.tv, next Sunday, June 23, at 3:00 p.m. (EDT). To my knowledge, I've never heard the ensemble, and they must be doing something right, since the conductor who takes over in July is the composer Matthias Pintscher.

Mendelssohn: Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream
Barber: Symphony No. 1
Sibelius: Symphony No. 2

-Bruce

brewski

Friday night at 9:00 p.m. (EDT), Thomas Søndergård and the Minnesota Orchestra will be livestreaming the concert below, with pianists Christina and Michelle Naughton in the Poulenc.

Ethel Smyth: On the Cliffs of Cornwall
Poulenc: Concerto in D minor for Two Pianos and Orchestra
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4

Livestream link here.

-Bruce

ritter

Just got tickets and my son and me for tomorrow's concert of the Spanish National Orchestra and Chorus at the National Music Auditorium here in Madrid. Sarah Wegener (sop.), Wiebke Lehmkuhl (alto), Maximilian Schmitt (ten) and Ashley Riches (bass), all under the baton of the orchestra's music director David Afkham, will perform Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

The performers will travel to Granada to repeat the concert in that city's festival on June 26, in the magnificent setting of Charles V's renaissance palace in the Alhambra complex.

I'm not the greatest fan of the Solemnis, but want to listen to the work live in concert to see whether my appreciation of it improves.

brewski

Tonight, the opening concert of the Bowdoin International Music Festival in Maine — highly recommended for those who love chamber music. Many of the events, including some master classes, will be livestreamed here.

Ying Quartet
Soyeon Kate Lee, piano

Haydn: String Quartet in B-flat, Op. 50, No. 1, "Prussian"
Bartók: String Quartet No. 2 , Sz. 67
Dvořák: Piano Quintet No. 2 in A Major, Op. 81

-Bruce

Lisztianwagner

I'm very happy I've bought a ticket for Das Rheingold at Teatro alla Scala on November 3, with Christian Thielemann as conductor as well as Michael Volle as Wotan and Johannes Martin Kränze as Alberich. I have great expectations for the performance, but I hope the staging won't be too modern.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

brewski

Tonight's livestream from the Bowdoin Festival in Brunswick, Maine. Watch free here, or on their YouTube channel below.

Beethoven: String Trio in D Major, Op. 9, No. 2
Renée Jolles, violin • Maiya Papach, viola • Jeffrey Zeigler, cello

Viet Cuong: Electric Aroma (2017)
Linda Chesis, flute • Fellow, clarinet • Luke Rinderknecht, percussion • Fellow, piano

Amy Beach: Piano Quintet in F-sharp Minor, Op. 67
Ayano Ninomiya, Janet Ying, violin • Rebecca Albers, viola • David Ying, cello • Tao Lin, piano

-Bruce

brewski

Today, thanks to the Bowdoin Festival, focus on the Pacifica Quartet, starting with a master class in about an hour, followed by a concert tonight with Beethoven, Op. 132 and Shostakovich No. 2.

-Bruce

brewski

Quote from: brewski on July 01, 2024, 04:57:17 AMToday, thanks to the Bowdoin Festival, focus on the Pacifica Quartet, starting with a master class in about an hour, followed by a concert tonight with Beethoven, Op. 132 and Shostakovich No. 2.

-Bruce

A fabulous evening by the Pacifica Quartet tonight, on fire in both works. As an encore, the first of Louis Gruenberg's Four Diversions (1930) for string quartet, new to me and according to the ensemble, "one of our new favorites."

Link above should be archived for awhile, and if the program suits, don't hesitate.

-Bruce

brewski

Once again the Aspen Festival is livestreaming about a dozen events this year (several have already passed). As samples, on Friday, July 5, pianist Inon Barnatan will be soloist in Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No. 1, with two Haydn symphonies on either side. And for the big finale on Aug. 18, Christine Goerke and Greer Grimsley will sing Act III of Die Walküre.

Complete list here.

-Bruce

ultralinear

This afternoon as part of the Southbank's Sound Within Sound presentation, two short-ish programs of music by Galina Ustvolskaya :

Piano Sonata No.4 in 4 parts
Piano Sonata No.5 in 10 movements
Piano Sonata No.6 in 1 part

Siwan Rhys piano

Symphony No.3 (Jesus Messiah, Save Us!) for voice & small orchestra
Symphony No.2 (True and Eternal Bliss!) for voice & small orchestra

London Sinfonietta
Geoffrey Paterson conductor
Sergej Merkusjev reciter

Mandryka

Quote from: ultralinear on July 05, 2024, 11:56:32 PMThis afternoon as part of the Southbank's Sound Within Sound presentation, two short-ish programs of music by Galina Ustvolskaya :

Siwan Rhys piano

Not sure about 5 but enjoyed what she did in 4 and wondered what she must be on to find the reserve power for 6.

I'm going to the Radigue tomorrow.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

brewski

Quote from: ultralinear on July 05, 2024, 11:56:32 PMThis afternoon as part of the Southbank's Sound Within Sound presentation, two short-ish programs of music by Galina Ustvolskaya :

Siwan Rhys piano

Symphony No.3 (Jesus Messiah, Save Us!) for voice & small orchestra
Symphony No.2 (True and Eternal Bliss!) for voice & small orchestra

London Sinfonietta
Geoffrey Paterson conductor
Sergej Merkusjev reciter

Quote from: Mandryka on July 06, 2024, 07:52:32 AMNot sure about 5 but enjoyed what she did in 4 and wondered what she must be on to find the reserve power for 6.

I'm going to the Radigue tomorrow.

Envy, envy, envy.

-Bruce

Mandryka

Ian Pace - Busoni and Finnissy -- Mon 15

Ferruccio Busoni, An die Jugend, BV 254 (1909). 1. Preludietto, Fughetta ed Esercizio; 3. Giga, Bolero e Variazione (Studie nach Mozart)
Ferruccio Busoni, Fantasia nach Johann Sebastian Bach, BV 253 (1909)
Ferruccio Busoni, Indianisches Tagebuch, Book I, BV 267 (1915)
Ferruccio Busoni, Toccata: Preludio, Fantasia, Ciaccona, BV 287 (1920
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Franz Liszt – Ferruccio Busoni, Réminiscences de Don Juan (1787 (Mozart), 1841 (Liszt), 1917 (Busoni))
Michael Finnissy, Kapitalistisch Realisme (met Sizilianische Männerakte en Bachsche Nachdichtungen) (1999-2000)

https://www.city.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/2024/july/ian-pace-busoni
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

brewski

On Sunday, Sir Mark Elder and the Hallé Orchestra at the Proms, broadcast on BBC Radio 3, marking Elder's last season as music director after 25 years.

Sir James MacMillan: Timotheus, Bacchus and Cecilia
Mahler: Symphony No. 5

-Bruce

brewski

Tomorrow at 12:30 pm (EDT), the opening concert of the Verbier Festival, live on Medici.tv, conducted by Simon Rattle. Appears to be free with registration.

Information here.

Mahler: Symphony No. 3
Magdalena Kožená, mezzo-soprano
Oberwalliser Vokalensemble
Chœur Cantiamo de l'École de chant du Haut-Valais
Verbier Festival Orchestra
Sir Simon Rattle

-Bruce