What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

hu. Aug 16

8:00 PM

The Grand Tour: Mozart in Vienna
Classical Thursdays: TH2

Artists:
Los Angeles Philharmonic; Nicholas McGegan,  conductor; Shai Wosner, piano

Program:
Mozart: Five Contradances, K. 609
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor, K. 466 Listen
Mozart: Symphony No. 41, "Jupiter" Listen

wahh I wont be able to go

SonicMan46

Sunday afternoon (yesterday) - concert entitled Young at Heart with Midori - as the title would suggest, a varied program w/ interest for kids (in fact, a lot of youngsters in attendance!):

Britten - The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
JS Bach - Double Violin Concerto - Midori + invited guest
Ravel - Mother Goose Suite
Bruch - Violin Concerto, No. 1 w/ Midori

One highlight was the Bach - the 'guest' was the 17 y/o 'concertmaster' of the Winston-Salem Youth Symphony - a gal who did quite well playing along w/ Midori front stage!  I'm sure that it was a thrill - tonight Midori is appearing w/ the Youth Symphony - she is spending 5 days or so here doing all sorts of these activities - I was not aware that she is so involved in these types of endeavors (admire her for these tremendous efforts).

Midori & the W-S Symphony did the Bruch quite well - my 'home' version is w/ Accardo & Kurt Masur (a wonderful Philips Duo w/ three Bruch Violin Concs., Serenade, & Scottish Fantasy) - interesting contrast, and liked both approaches.   :D

bhodges

This Saturday night:

New York Philharmonic
Lorin Maazel, conductor
Julian Rachlin, violin

Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival Overture
Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3     
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

The Bartók is still an alltime favorite, and my hunch is that it may play to Maazel's strengths.  I don't recall ever hearing the Saint-Saëns, so that will be interesting. 

--Bruce

stingo

Quote from: bhodges on May 24, 2007, 07:16:53 AM
This Saturday night:

New York Philharmonic
Lorin Maazel, conductor
Julian Rachlin, violin

Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival Overture
Saint-Saëns: Violin Concerto No. 3     
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra

The Bartók is still an alltime favorite, and my hunch is that it may play to Maazel's strengths.  I don't recall ever hearing the Saint-Saëns, so that will be interesting. 

--Bruce

If the violin concerto is anything like his piano concerti, it should be quite enjoyable.

Mark

Saint-Saens' Third Violin Concerto is terrific. You'll love it, Bruce. :)

Lilas Pastia

My favourite piece among those is the Rimsky Russian Easter Overture  :D. Somehow, I doubt the brass will do it justice though. It requires fullness of tone bordering on the brazen and raucous. In my experience (Masur era broadcasts) the NYPO brass section doesn't fit that description.

Bruce, I'm almost sure you'll recognize the tunes of the Saint-Saens concerto (esp. the final movement). It sizzles!

not edward

Modern cello on Sunday night:
Artists: Rohan de Saram and David Hetherington

Programme:
Luciano Berio (Italy, 1925-2003) Sequenza XIV (2002)
Santiago Lanchares (Spain, 1952) – Espera, Luz, Espera*** (2006) for solo cello
James Dillon (Scotland, 1950) – Eos (1999) for solo cello
Iannis Xenakis (Greece/France 1922-2001) – Kottos (1977) for solo cello
Alexander Shchetynsky (Ukraine, 1960) Pas de Deux (1996) for 2 cellos
Sven Lyder Kahrs (Norway, 1959) – Mais tes désir ont la couleur du vent*** (2004)
Guido Baggiani (Italy, 1932) – Duo Concertante*** (1991) for 2 cellos
Brian Current (Canada, 1972) – *New work** (2007) for 2 cellos

Should be fun: I don't know any of the pieces other than the Xenakis, which I love (and have heard live within the last calendar year!). I know roughly what to expect with the Berio and Dillon pieces: anyone have opinions regarding the other people on the program list.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

The Staatskapelle Dresden will be in Mannheim next week, Dutoit conducting, Lisa Batiashvili violin:

Ravel Ma Mère L'oye

Prokofiev Violin Concerto #2 G minor

Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade

We had dinner with my parents-in-law last night and they gave us their subscription tickets: front row balcony  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

This coming Saturday my wife and I will be attending Beethoven's Choral Fantasy & Symphony No. 9 as performed by the Colorado Symphony and:

Jeffrey Kahane, music director and piano | Duain Wolfe, conductor | Pamela Coburn, soprano | Susan Platts, mezzo-soprano | Richard Clement, tenor | Nathan Berg, Bass | CSO Chorus

I have never seen either live, so looking forward to it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

bhodges

Quote from: edward on June 02, 2007, 05:48:15 PM
Modern cello on Sunday night:
Artists: Rohan de Saram and David Hetherington

Programme:
Luciano Berio (Italy, 1925-2003) Sequenza XIV (2002)
Santiago Lanchares (Spain, 1952) – Espera, Luz, Espera*** (2006) for solo cello
James Dillon (Scotland, 1950) – Eos (1999) for solo cello
Iannis Xenakis (Greece/France 1922-2001) – Kottos (1977) for solo cello
Alexander Shchetynsky (Ukraine, 1960) Pas de Deux (1996) for 2 cellos
Sven Lyder Kahrs (Norway, 1959) – Mais tes désir ont la couleur du vent*** (2004)
Guido Baggiani (Italy, 1932) – Duo Concertante*** (1991) for 2 cellos
Brian Current (Canada, 1972) – *New work** (2007) for 2 cellos

Should be fun: I don't know any of the pieces other than the Xenakis, which I love (and have heard live within the last calendar year!). I know roughly what to expect with the Berio and Dillon pieces: anyone have opinions regarding the other people on the program list.

Wow, great program -- I don't know any of these composers, other than the same three you do.  Please report back.  And I don't know Hetherington, but have admired Rohan de Saram for years. 

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2007, 04:51:07 AM
The Staatskapelle Dresden will be in Mannheim next week, Dutoit conducting, Lisa Batiashvili violin:

Ravel Ma Mère L'oye

Prokofiev Violin Concerto #2 G minor

Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade

We had dinner with my parents-in-law last night and they gave us their subscription tickets: front row balcony  :)

Sarge

Oooh! Dutoit does a stunning Sheherazade. He just conducted that here in Chicago a few months ago and it was easily the best I have heard live.

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on June 04, 2007, 06:26:02 AM
Oooh! Dutoit does a stunning Sheherazade. He just conducted that here in Chicago a few months ago and it was easily the best I have heard live.

Yes, I was thinking this is a program right up Dutoit's alley.  I have heard Lisa Batiashvili several times in the last year or so, and she's marvelous.  I would love to hear her do that Prokofiev.

--Bruce

Lilas Pastia

Mahler 6, Orchestre metropolitain du Grand Montreal, Yannick Nezet-Seguin. Next Monday, June 11.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on June 04, 2007, 06:26:02 AM

Quote from: bhodges on June 04, 2007, 06:31:10 AM
Yes, I was thinking this is a program right up Dutoit's alley.  I have heard Lisa Batiashvili several times in the last year or so, and she's marvelous.  I would love to hear her do that Prokofiev.

--Bruce

That's good to know, O. I knew the Ravel would be outstanding. I'm really looking forward to hearing this concert.

We heard Batiashvili a couple of months ago. The Sibelius. It was stunning; I mean that literally. I wasn't expecting such great playing. She made me hear Sibelius new.

O, you mentioned your father saying how impressed he was with her, too, but that her family life came first. Mrs. Rock is wondering if we'll see her daughter again. In Ludwighafen, they came out together for a bow  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Novi

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 04, 2007, 06:38:22 AM
Mahler 6, Orchestre metropolitain du Grand Montreal, Yannick Nezet-Seguin. Next Monday, June 11.

I'm so envious ...
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lilas Pastia

toledobass

I've been waiting all year for this.

Anyone else in Ohio gonna be there?
Allan

Novi

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 05, 2007, 06:02:43 AM
I'll let you know if your envy is justified!

Please do! The 6th along with Das Lied are my favourite Mahler works. I've seen a disappointing performance of Das Lied, but haven't had a chance to see the 6th live.

I have to confess to a somewhat childish fascination for the hammer blows. I would love to experience that visually. Can you keep an eye out for that for me? :D
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Lilas Pastia

I will. They are great fun to watch - actually the best part of an otherwise forgettable performance from 2 years ago. The hammerblower holds that big mallet up in the air for a few seconds before slamming it down full tilt. The whole thing is visually more impressive than the actual sound produced. I suspect recorded performances are miked to make it sound bigger.

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on June 04, 2007, 04:59:24 AM
This coming Saturday my wife and I will be attending Beethoven's Choral Fantasy & Symphony No. 9 as performed by the Colorado Symphony and:

Jeffrey Kahane, music director and piano | Duain Wolfe, conductor | Pamela Coburn, soprano | Susan Platts, mezzo-soprano | Richard Clement, tenor | Nathan Berg, Bass | CSO Chorus

I have never seen either live, so looking forward to it.

Quote from: George on June 05, 2007, 01:22:58 PM
:o :o :o

Wowzers! I'd say have a good time, but that would be like telling you to breathe. (Uneccessary)

;D

It was awesome George.  The Choral Fantasy has not been played live by the Colorado Symphony for 20 years and is a favorite of mine.  And the 9th....well, its the 9th!  ;D  Wife and I had a great time and took it in with another couple after a very nice two and half hour dinner. 

Next season the 5th, 6th, and 7th are on the menu....hope to catch a couple of 'em, as it is our goal to see all 9 of them live....and with two little ones, this may not be the easiest of plights.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz