What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

July 25 at Ravinia:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Kent Nagano, conductor
Nikolai Lugansky, pianist
John Adams: Harmonielehre
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Emperor")

More evidence that Harmonielehre is becoming standard rep: they did it at Grant Park a couple years ago, then the CSO did it downtown, now they're doing it at Ravinia.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

ritter

Just got tickets to see the Spanish National Ballet next Saturday in the Teatros del Canal here in Madrid. The program includes Ernesto Halffter's Fantasía galaica and Manuel de Falla's The Three-Cornered Hat (the latter with a recreation of Picasso's original sets and costumes).

The National Ballet is actually sort of borderline between "classical" ballet and Spanish folk dancing, but the choreographies are all by the late and legendary dancer Antonio Ruiz Soler. Fortunately (as opposed to what usually is the case with ballet evenings at this venue), on this occasion the music will be performed live by a symphony orchestra.

Here a still from Falla's El sombrero de tres picos:

NikF

Quote from: ritter on July 17, 2017, 05:31:35 AM
Just got tickets to see the Spanish National Ballet next saturday in the Teatros del Canal here in Madrid. The program includes Ernesto Halffter's Fantasía galaica and Manuel de Falla's The Three-Cornered Hat (the latter with a recreation of Picasso's original sets and costumes).

The National Ballet is actually sort of borderline between "classical" ballet and Spanish folk dancing, but the choreographies are all by the late and legendary dancer Antonio Ruiz Soler. Fortunately (as opposed to what usually is the case with ballet evenings at this venue), on this occasion the music is performed live by a symphony orchestra.

Here a still from Falla's El sombrero de tres picos:

How wonderful. :)
I hope you enjoy it greatly.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: NikF on July 17, 2017, 06:00:29 AM
How wonderful. :)
I hope you enjoy it greatly.
Thanks, NikF. Yep, I'm looking forward to this. My 22 year old daughter  (who''s tourned out to be quite the balletomane) and my partner  (who''s more sceptical, let's say) are both coming along, so I hope it turns into a nice night out.   :)

NikF

Quote from: ritter on July 17, 2017, 06:42:34 AM
Thanks, NikF. Yep, I'm looking forward to this. My 22 year old daughter  (who''s tourned out to be quite the balletomane) and my partner  (who''s more sceptical, let's say) are both coming along, so I hope it turns into a nice night out.   :)

Cool. And if you're so inclined and when the time comes there's perhaps even inspiration for a new profile photo. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Rachmaninov: Vocalise.
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 1
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 12.

Cristian Macelaru - Conductor.
Winner of the 2017 Van Cliburn Int. Piano Competition.
RSNO

---

Britten: An American Overture
Schumann: Cello Concerto
Elgar: Symphony No. 1

Karl-Heinz Steffens - Conductor
Jan Vogler - Cello
RSNO

(I bought two tickets for each of these concerts, but I can usually find someone cool to accompany me)

TheGSMoeller

Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:00 p.m.

Nashville Symphony
Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor
André Watts, piano

PROGRAM
Debussy – Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
MacDowell – Piano Concerto No. 2
C.F. Kip Winger – Conversations with Nijinsky
Stravinsky – The Firebird Suite (1919 version)

Along with this concert I'm deciding on a 3-concert subscription, one I will definitely be attending is Haydn's The Creation with Nicholas McGegan conducting.

ritter

Quote from: NikF on July 17, 2017, 08:45:05 AM
Cool. And if you're so inclined and when the time comes there's perhaps even inspiration for a new profile photo. :)
Well, the Spanish National Ballet last night was quite fantastic, and the performance of the music by the Verum Symphony Orchestra (a hitherto unkown to me ensemble sponsored by a wine cellar--also unkown to me  :-[) under Manuel Coves was very accomplished. The program started with a rather dated (IMO) take on Albéniz's Eritaña (too many castanets!), followed by a "pure" flamenco piece with a cantaor, three guitarists and a bailaora (but this kind of thing really only works for me in the apprpriate tablao setting), and an impressive display of footwork by a male dancer, to the tune of Sarasate's Zapateado (not music I really care for, I must confess). The "big" pieces then arrived, first with Ernesto Halffter's Fantasía galaica. It was a rare treat to hear this music performed live (and it turns out it is actually quite a bit longer than the only recording available), particulary when played with such gusto and panache as last night. Highly indebted to the "spirit" of Falla's Three-cornered Hat, even if dealing with folk material from a completely different part of Spain (Galicia for Halffer vs. Anadalusia for Falla).

The pièce de resistance, of course, was El sombrero de tres picos after the break. And it was simply fantastic. Antonio Ruiz Soler's choreograhy strikes the perfect balance between "canonical" ballet and Spanish folk dancing, and seeing this great ballet so well danced, played and with the sets and costumes by Picasso was wonderful. Standing ovations at the end from full house. I'm actually tempted to return next weekend.

And, as you foresaw, NikF  , I am inclined to change my Avatar ;). Here is Picasso's set design for The Three-cornered Hat:

Drasko

Quote from: ritter on July 23, 2017, 02:16:17 AM
The pièce de resistance, of course, was El sombrero de tres picos after the break. And it was simply fantastic. Antonio Ruiz Soler's choreograhy strikes the perfect balance between "canonical" ballet and Spanish folk dancing, and seeing this great ballet so well danced, played and with the sets and costumes by Picasso was wonderful.

There's a DVD from Paris Opera Ballet of reconstruction of the original production of El sombrero de tres picos with Massine choreography and Picasso sets. It's very good, definitely worth seeing if you haven't. The companion piece on the DVD is a personal favorite of mine, Milhaud's Le Train Bleu, also a reconstruction of the original production with Nijinska choreography, Coco Chanel costumes, Picasso curtain.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picasso-Dance-Paris-Opera-Ballet/dp/B000E1KKM8

ritter

Quote from: Draško on July 23, 2017, 03:09:35 AM
There's a DVD from Paris Opera Ballet of reconstruction of the original production of El sombrero de tres picos with Massine choreography and Picasso sets. It's very good, definitely worth seeing if you haven't. The companion piece on the DVD is a personal favorite of mine, Milhaud's Le Train Bleu, also a reconstruction of the original production with Nijinska choreography, Coco Chanel costumes, Picasso curtain.   

Thanks for that, Draško! Looks very appealing... :)

Spineur

I have this DVD of the ballet with the reconstructed Picasso sets.  For me, it is mostly of historical interest.  Massine may have been a fantastic dancer but I dont find his choregraphy so inspiring.  If you want to see Paris opera ballet in is glory go for some Nureev choregraphies.  I just saw this spring the Paris ballet class perform the third part of Raymonda in Nureev choregraphy.  That was awesome.  There are short except on this video

https://www.youtube.com/v/Rz4flq9dH9A

NikF

Quote from: ritter on July 23, 2017, 02:16:17 AM
Well, the Spanish National Ballet last night was quite fantastic, and the performance of the music by the Verum Symphony Orchestra (a hitherto unkown to me ensemble sponsored by a wine cellar--also unkown to me  :-[) under Manuel Coves was very accomplished. The program started with a rather dated (IMO) take on Albéniz's Eritaña (too many castanets!), followed by a "pure" flamenco piece with a cantaor, three guitarists and a bailaora (but this kind of thing really only works for me in the apprpriate tablao setting), and an impressive display of footwork by a male dancer, to the tune of Sarasate's Zapateado (not music I really care for, I must confess). The "big" pieces then arrived, first with Ernesto Halffter's Fantasía galaica. It was a rare treat to hear this music performed live (and it turns out it is actually quite a bit longer than the only recording available), particulary when played with such gusto and panache as last night. Highly indebted to the "spirit" of Falla's Three-cornered Hat, even if dealing with folk material from a completely different part of Spain (Galicia for Halffer vs. Anadalusia for Falla).

The pièce de resistance, of course, was El sombrero de tres picos after the break. And it was simply fantastic. Antonio Ruiz Soler's choreograhy strikes the perfect balance between "canonical" ballet and Spanish folk dancing, and seeing this great ballet so well danced, played and with the sets and costumes by Picasso was wonderful. Standing ovations at the end from full house. I'm actually tempted to return next weekend.

And, as you foresaw, NikF  , I am inclined to change my Avatar ;). Here is Picasso's set design for The Three-cornered Hat:

Thanks for posting your thoughts on it. I enjoyed reading it. It certainly sounds wonderful.:)
And yeah, cool avatar. 8)

NikF

Quote from: Draško on July 23, 2017, 03:09:35 AM

I think I have that DVD. But if I don't, I soon will. ;D

Quote from: Spineur on July 23, 2017, 04:37:24 AM
I have this DVD of the ballet with the reconstructed Picasso sets.  For me, it is mostly of historical interest.  Massine may have been a fantastic dancer but I dont find his choregraphy so inspiring.  If you want to see Paris opera ballet in is glory go for some Nureev choregraphies.  I just saw this spring the Paris ballet class perform the third part of Raymonda in Nureev choregraphy.  That was awesome.  There are short except on this video

https://www.youtube.com/v/Rz4flq9dH9A

That was an interesting watch. :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

August 8 at Ravinia:

James Levine, conductor
Chicago Symphony Chorus
Nadine Sierra, soprano
Matthew Polenzani, tenor
John Relyea, bass
Haydn: The Creation

This should be special (provided his health holds up) - the return of Levine, who was Ravinia's director for over 20 years.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

No longer looking forward to it as it is now over, but last night I saw Simone Young conduct the Australian World Orchestra performing Turangalîla-Symphonie. Had 2 free tickets so I invited a friend of mine who loves Messiaen. :)

Senta

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 14, 2017, 01:22:58 PM
July 25 at Ravinia:

Kent Nagano, conductor
Nikolai Lugansky, pianist
John Adams: Harmonielehre
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Emperor")

More evidence that Harmonielehre is becoming standard rep: they did it at Grant Park a couple years ago, then the CSO did it downtown, now they're doing it at Ravinia.

Standard rep in Chicago maybe! :laugh: Harmonielehre has been on my "must hear live" bucket list for a long while...will likely have to plan a trip to get a chance. St. Louis is doing it again in January which is really tempting, but may be taking another concert trip around that time...

Locally - just got tickets to see Mahler 4 with Houston in September, def excited for that, but otherwise all my other upcoming concerts are new music related or "other" (ie. Tedeschi Trucks Band, Hall & Oates, Spyro Gyra, Delbert McClinton etc!)

André

Not standard rep, but it's making inroads. I heard it in Cologne a few years ago. The concert was well attended, but the hall was far from full. The work definitely holds up well.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: André on August 01, 2017, 05:09:33 AM
Not standard rep, but it's making inroads. I heard it in Cologne a few years ago. The concert was well attended, but the hall was far from full. The work definitely holds up well.

Apparently Nagano is going to record it in Montreal this year.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Senta on July 31, 2017, 07:11:25 PM
Standard rep in Chicago maybe! :laugh: Harmonielehre has been on my "must hear live" bucket list for a long while...will likely have to plan a trip to get a chance. St. Louis is doing it again in January which is really tempting, but may be taking another concert trip around that time...

Well, yoo-hoo!  Hain't heard from you in a dog's age, dear!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 01, 2017, 05:47:55 AM
Apparently Nagano is going to record it in Montreal this year.

Nagano needs to do some Henning.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot