What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

actually heard these last night
MENDELSSOHN  Ruy Blas Overture      BRUCH: Scottish Fantasy     BEETHOVEN: Symphony no.5
Blake Pouliot violin     Alexandre Bloch cond. (guest)    Vancouver S.O.
may look like an old-fashioned "pops" concert but delivered the best
Orchestra split the violins, and I think they moved a back desk of the firsts over to boost the sound of the seconds, harp was moved in closer so to help coordinate with the soloist in the Bruch so it was less of a second soloist that when she's in a position giving more reverb.
Both the conductor and soloist were new to the Bruch but it was one of the best performances I've heard.
Nice use of dynamics to point out the phrasing in the Bruch and Beethoven.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

bhodges

Quote from: king ubu on November 12, 2017, 08:01:49 AM
Friday my first concert at the new interim Tonhalle at Maag hall ... Franz Welser-Möst will conduct Bruckner 8 - this wil be my first listen. Saturday, same place, Nicolas Altstaedt and Alexander Lonquich will play all five Beethoven cello sonatas.

First listen to the Bruckner 8? If so, hope it's a great experience -- it really is marvelous heard live. And I have heard Altstaedt here in NYC -- he's terrific.

Last night, the Swedish Radio Choir with Peter Dijkstra conducting, in this fantastic program. Two encores: short works by Stenhammar and Alfven.

Maija Einfelde: Lux Aeterna (1992)
Sven-David Sandström: En ny himmel och en my jord (1980)
Anders Hillborg: Mouyayoum (1983-85)
Schnittke: Concerto for Choir (1984-85)

--Bruce

vandermolen

Hoping to hear RVW's 'Riders to the Sea' along with Walton's 'Henry V' (A Shakespeare Scenario) in London tomorrow night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2017, 12:22:01 PM

Nov. 18th,

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Wagner: Die Walküre
Sir Andrew Davis - conductor
Christine Goerke - Brünnhilde
Elisabet Strid - Sieglinde
Brandon Jovanovich - Siegmund
Eric Owens - Wotan
Ain Anger - Hunding

Amazing evening! Great performance, and cast. Even got a chance to meet and chat with Sir Andrew Davis after the show. That is me on the right, and my brother, Jeremy on the left, who is the principal trombonist for Lyric Opera of Chicago.

André

king ubu

Quote from: Brewski on November 15, 2017, 10:42:16 AM
First listen to the Bruckner 8? If so, hope it's a great experience -- it really is marvelous heard live. And I have heard Altstaedt here in NYC -- he's terrific.

Yes, first listen to Bruckner 8 - and wow it was great! Lonquich/Altstaedt the following night were amazing, too. Just on smartphone, thus unwilling to type more, apologies.

And now on vacation in Italy - catching this tomorrow night:

http://www.ricercareensemble.com/concerti/cori-palazzo/2017
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

André

Tomorrow night, a concert with the Orchestre métropolitain, cond. by Yannick Nézet-Séguin:

- Berlioz: Les nuits d'été, with Marie-Nicole Lemieux
- Ravel: Left Hand Concerto, with Alexandre Tharaud
- Saint-Saens: cello concerto no 1, with Jean-Guihen Queyras
- Debussy: La Mer

[Edit the day after the concert]: it was truly amazing. 3 world class soloists in the same concert. The performance of Les nuits d'été was magical, with Lemieux in great form. She is an imposing presence (not just big and very tall, but commanding by her very composure), with a voice that recalls Maureen Forrester's in its largeness, command of a wide tessitura and ability to go from a whisper to a ringing, dramatic outpouring.

Alexandre Tharaud, as lanky as ever was a thoughtful and imaginative interpreter of this magnificent score, my number one choice for best XXth century concerto. What a piece !

Cellist Queyras is known more for solo and chamber music playing than concerto appearances. He is a cerebral, unflashy performer, perfectly attuned to the tasteful romantic rhetoric of the Saint-Sens concerto.

The concert concluded with La mer, my favourite work by Debussy. Nézet-Séguin was a master painter of the score's infinite nuances and summoned a storm of colours in the last movement, Dialogue du vent et de la mer. The concluding furious unleashing of the elements was dramatic in the extreme (with a perfectly weighted and timed last chord). I don't expect to hear this bettered any time soon.

All three soloists, conductor and orchestra are embarking today for a european tour. If ever a record is made, I wish it will contain Lemieux' stunning Nuits d'été.

GioCar

Tonight at La Scala, with my wife and friends

Filarmonica della Scala
Conductor: Christoph Eschenbach
Piano: Tzimon Barto

Antonín Dvořák: Carnival op. 92 Overture
George Gershwin: Concerto in F for piano and orchestra
Antonín Dvořák: Symphony No 9 in E min. op. 95

The ladies are already excited for the pianist.

nodogen

This coming week I'm going to a piano recital by Pavel Kolesnikov. It includes a couple of pieces by Lachenmann who is relatively unknown to me, aside from some YouTubing. Also Chopin, Debussy and Couperin.

:D

André

In Quebec City tonight, at Carnegie Hall on the 7th:

Janine Jensen, Lucas Debargue, Torleif Thedéen, Martin Fröst:

Bartok: Contrasts
Szymanowski: Mythen
Messiaen: quartet For the End of Time

I wish I could be there... :'(

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 04, 2017, 04:35:40 AM
In Quebec City tonight, at Carnegie Hall on the 7th:

Janine Jensen, Lucas Debargue, Torleif Thedéen, Martin Fröst:

Bartok: Contrasts
Szymanowski: Mythen
Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time

I wish I could be there... :'(

Wow, what a great program. 8)

king ubu

Getting ready for this at Tonhalle Maag in Zurich tonight:

Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich
Pablo Heras-Casado Leitung
Camilla Tilling Sopran

Henri Dutilleux "Correspondances" für Sopran und Orchester
Claude Debussy "La Mer"
Johannes Brahms Sinfonie Nr. 4 e-Moll op. 98
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

flyingdutchman

Just for a bit of fun tomorrow afternoon, at the Oregon Ballet in Portland, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Tonight and tomorrow will be singing in:

Handel Messiah

Rinaldo Alessandrini conductor
Sara Macliver soprano
Joslyn Rechter mezzo-soprano
Ed Lyon tenor
Salvo Vitale bass
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2017/handels-messiah/

André

Well, I wasn't there, you know. But if I had checked before booking a southern vacation this week I would definitely have attended the group's Montreal concert on the 4th :(. I guess this one is to be classified in the « great concerts I managed to miss » category... ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 08, 2017, 04:32:31 PM
Well, I wasn't there, you know. But if I had checked before booking a southern vacation this week I would definitely have attended the group's Montreal concert on the 4th :(. I guess this one is to be classified in the « great concerts I managed to miss » category... ::)

I'm still jealous of anyone who was able to see this concert. :)

GioCar

Quote from: jessop on December 08, 2017, 02:57:42 PM
Tonight and tomorrow will be singing in:

Handel Messiah

Rinaldo Alessandrini conductor
Sara Macliver soprano
Joslyn Rechter mezzo-soprano
Ed Lyon tenor
Salvo Vitale bass
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus

https://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2017/handels-messiah/

Surely it always is a great fun singing in the Messiah, even more under the baton on Alessandrini. Good luck  :)

king ubu

Quote from: GioCar on December 08, 2017, 09:05:49 PM

So you did NOT attend the glorious notorious Scala opening with Netrebko and her little dude? Got terrific reviews around here - again, glad we got rid of Pereira :laugh:

Though they wrote that Chailly and the orchestra actually were excellent ... will be difficult to replace the frontline though, I reckon.

---

As for this:

Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich
Pablo Heras-Casado Leitung
Camilla Tilling Sopran

Henri Dutilleux "Correspondances" für Sopran und Orchester
Claude Debussy "La Mer"
Johannes Brahms Sinfonie Nr. 4 e-Moll op. 98

Tilling was amazing in Dutilleux - and that piece is amazing. It was my first listen, although I have the Hannigan/Salonen recording around somewhere ... unplayed yet. The orchestra again was open for Heras-Casado's ways, which were a bit too harsh and loud in Debussy maybe, but somehow it worked well for me. Same in Brahms, it was all in all a good performance, although Heras-Casado is definitely not paying too much attention to details, inner voicings, structures ... it was hands on and it was fun, but it was in the end a good, definitely not a great take on Brahms' last symphony. Still much better than the new Herreweghe recording, that one lacks structure and on top of that has no punch either - and that, punch, is what Heras-Casado certainly has, and the orchestra was totally willing to give it to him, too - which is cool. Sounded almost like a different band, compared to the Currentzis concert a few days ago.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!