What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

On Friday, December 15th, I caught an excellent performance of Bruckner's 7th Symphony, performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, led by Michael Tilson Thomas.

This was my first ever Bruckner concert.  :)

Here's a review of the prior evening's performance:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-mtt-la-phil-review-20171216-story.html

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

An unmissable concert on Feb. 17, bringing together two of my favorite things - craft beer and chamber music:

http://spektralquartet.com/concerts/2018/2/11/close-encounters-sipping-a-glass-of-1908-vienna
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Alek Hidell

The Philharmonic here in Oklahoma City doesn't draw me in too often - they tend to play the usual Beethoven/Brahms/Dvořák stuff (not that any of those are bad, mind you - in fact I attended their performance of Dvořák's 9th a couple of years ago cuz it's me favorite symphony).

But this year's schedule is a bit more imaginative, and I'm considering buying a ticket for this interesting program next month:

• Ginastera: Estancia: Four Dances
  • Haydn: Cello Concerto in C Major (Joshua Roman, cello)
  • Sibelius: Symphony No. 2
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

king ubu

Dec 21st:
Maria João Pires, Tonhalle Orchestra, Bernard Haitink: KV 595, Bruckner 4 (sold out since a few weeks at least)

Dec 22nd:
Donizetti: La Fille du régiment (Zurich Opera, w/Sabine Devieilhe, cond: Speranza Scappucci, )

Dec 30th:
Puccini: La fanciulla del West (Zurich Opera, w/Catherine Naglestad, cond: Marco Armiliato, prod: Barrie Kosky)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2017, 04:13:51 PMSo jealous!
Not so many years ago, she would be performing in the Dome church in Utrecht (Netherlands) with a local ensemble, both of her parents including. Free saturday afternoon concerts that I frequented (still do).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

bhodges

Last night, the JACK Quartet at National Sawdust, in Georg Friedrich Haas String Quartet No. 9. (Heard it twice, with a dinner break in between.) Like his Third quartet, the Ninth is to be performed in total darkness -- and I mean TOTAL. Every light source, including the exit signs, was extinguished. How the musicians were able to communicate with each other was pretty astounding.

Here's the group doing the piece from last November -- likely the premiere, in Vienna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_2bg3utv8

--Bruce

king ubu

Quote from: king ubu on December 18, 2017, 10:30:02 PM
Dec 21st:
Maria João Pires, Tonhalle Orchestra, Bernard Haitink: KV 595, Bruckner 4 (sold out since a few weeks at least)

Fantastic concert last night ... it was announced as Ms Pires' very last live appearance in Europe - whatever that means (I think she has done as many "final" tours as any aging rock act, right?) ... she was presented with a lovely artwork of a cake in the shape of a piano at the end, and how she and Haitink worked together in that wonderful concerto was just amazing. I sat front row, centre, about 2 metres from Ms Pires, so it was quite an experience - they did two nights, both sold out.

For those that read German, here's a review of the first night by Peter Hagmann, seasoned (and trusted) music critic:
http://www.peterhagmann.com/?p=1463

His comment on Bruckner and the trombones does not relate much though, from where I was (right behind Haitink after the piano was shifted to the back of the stage), there were no such problems. But while it was a great performance, it still failed to really convince me that Bruckner 4 is a great coherent piece (it still sounds like a bit of a pastiche to my ears, or rather like in some spots he didn't find ways to move from one idea to the next and used lotsa duckt tape to fix that, instead of fixing it with musical means ... but then what do I know).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mahlerian

Quote from: king ubu on December 22, 2017, 01:51:10 PM
Fantastic concert last night ... it was announced as Ms Pires' very last live appearance in Europe - whatever that means (I think she has done as many "final" tours as any aging rock act, right?) ... she was presented with a lovely artwork of a cake in the shape of a piano at the end, and how she and Haitink worked together in that wonderful concerto was just amazing. I sat front row, centre, about 2 metres from Ms Pires, so it was quite an experience - they did two nights, both sold out.

For those that read German, here's a review of the first night by Peter Hagmann, seasoned (and trusted) music critic:
http://www.peterhagmann.com/?p=1463

His comment on Bruckner and the trombones does not relate much though, from where I was (right behind Haitink after the piano was shifted to the back of the stage), there were no such problems. But while it was a great performance, it still failed to really convince me that Bruckner 4 is a great coherent piece (it still sounds like a bit of a pastiche to my ears, or rather like in some spots he didn't find ways to move from one idea to the next and used lotsa duckt tape to fix that, instead of fixing it with musical means ... but then what do I know).

Great report, and fantastic that you got to see Pires play one last time.  I disagree about the Bruckner Fourth, but I can understand where the impression comes from (for this or any of his other works).  Bruckner's Fourth is really based on a pretty small group of ideas, and that one from the beginning of the symphony plays a role in all of the other movements (well, except for the scherzo, really, but that's because he rewrote the original).

I'm probably too accustomed to Bruckner's logic to understand other perspectives, though.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

listener

M.-A. CHARPENTIER: Messe de minuit
as part of the Christmas Eve mass at the "bells and smells" high Anglican church here, with chorus, strings and organ.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

king ubu

Quote from: Mahlerian on December 22, 2017, 03:05:51 PM
Great report, and fantastic that you got to see Pires play one last time.  I disagree about the Bruckner Fourth, but I can understand where the impression comes from (for this or any of his other works).  Bruckner's Fourth is really based on a pretty small group of ideas, and that one from the beginning of the symphony plays a role in all of the other movements (well, except for the scherzo, really, but that's because he rewrote the original).

I'm probably too accustomed to Bruckner's logic to understand other perspectives, though.

Thanks - and actually I was a bit puzzled myself about my reaction to Bruckner. I guess there's hardly anyone better to explore him than Haitink these days (last season he did 9 with Tonhalle and it was amazing - again coupled with a mighty piano concerto then, the emperor w/Schiff, Haitink seems to love these monstrous programmes). Also I have listened to 4 probably about 20 times since last summer, and had the impression that I eventually started to figure it out. But I was exhausted during the concert and probably lacked some of the alertness to really get it all. Too bad, but real life (which is just fine but quite exhilarating - started a new job in December, a week off for x-mas now, luckily) cannot be shut out all the time, alas.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Judith

Seeing Joshua Bell with ASMF in three weeks.  Its like a "dream come true" for me. 
They will be performing
Vivaldi   Four Seasons
Guest Edgar Meyer  TBA
Beethoven 2nd symphony

Kontrapunctus

Pianist Alexander Gavrylyuk in San Francisco May 20th. Looks like quite a finger-twisting program!

BACH/BUSONI Toccata and Fugue in D minor
HAYDN Sonata No. 47 in B minor, Hob. XV1:32
CHOPIN Etudes, Op. 10 (selections)
SCRIABIN Sonata No. 5
RACHMANINOV Preludes, Op. 23 (selections)
RACHMANINOV Sonata No. 2

ritter

It's several months away, but I've just received confirmation that I've been awarded the tickets I requested for Bayreuth this summer!  Parsifal (Semyon Bychkov - Uwe Eric Laufenberg), Tristan und Isolde (Christian Thielemann - Katharina Wagner)  and Die Meistersinger (Philippe Jordan - Barrie Kosky) on three successive nights (August 18 to 20).

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

kishnevi

Quote from: ritter on January 02, 2018, 12:38:53 PM
It's several months away, but I've just received confirmation that I've been awarded the tickets I requested for Bayreuth this summer!  Parsifal (Semyon Bychkov - Uwe Eric Laufenberg), Tristan und Isolde (Christian Thielemann - Katharina Wagner)  and Die Meistersinger (Philippe Jordan - Barrie Kosky) on three successive nights (August 18 to 20).

Congratulations!
At least you have time to prepare your survival kit.

Spineur

Musée de Grenoble  January 21th 2018

Nathalia Milstein, piano
SchumannFantasiestücke op. 12
Nicolas Baldeyrou, clarinette et le Quatuor Ardeo
Brahms : Quintette pour clarinette et cordes en si mineur op. 115

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: ritter on January 02, 2018, 12:38:53 PM

Parsifal is coming to Finnish National opera at Spring season, Rafael (was it Rafael?), and I very much would like to see it, even though I have seen this production before (in fact, Parsifal was the first Wagner opera which I saw live.)

I hope you enjoy your Bayreuth trip!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Pat B

Quote from: Judith on December 31, 2017, 07:29:59 AM
Seeing Joshua Bell with ASMF in three weeks.  Its like a "dream come true" for me. 
They will be performing
Vivaldi   Four Seasons
Guest Edgar Meyer  TBA
Beethoven 2nd symphony

Nice. I have seen Bell twice. Once playing Mendelssohn early in his career (around 1990) and then playing Glazunov in 2011.

TD: I was gifted tickets to see Gil Shaham play Tchaikovsky, plus Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony, later this month.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pat B on January 04, 2018, 09:30:02 PM
TD: I was gifted tickets to see Gil Shaham play Tchaikovsky, plus Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony, later this month.

Conductor? Orchestra?

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Pat B