What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: NikF on January 26, 2018, 07:50:16 PMIn any case, I'll look forward to the Gorecki.
Heard it a couple of times in a concert, always a joy to the heart; take e.g. these young Polish string players:
https://www.youtube.com/v/2X6C6C6093Y
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF

Quote from: Christo on January 27, 2018, 09:35:13 AM
Heard it a couple of times in a concert, always a joy to the heart; take e.g. these young Polish string players:
https://www.youtube.com/v/2X6C6C6093Y

I'm tempted to listen...but think I'll wait. And I'll bookmark the video. Cheers.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on January 26, 2018, 07:50:16 PM
That's good to know.

When there's a concert featuring a work or composer I'm unfamiliar with I'm usually in two minds about how to approach it. Have a listen beforehand? Or leave it until the performance and be surprised? Most often it's the latter. I remember one concert that featured Mahler's 'Das Lied von der Erde' (which I knew) and Mozart's oboe concerto, but the first piece was Matthias Pintscher's 'Idyll' - and surprise doesn't really cover that!

In any case, I'll look forward to the Gorecki.

That's awesome, Nik. Yeah, I would just wait to hear and you can always familiarize yourself with it again later on. I'd LOVE to see Mahler Das Lied von der Erde in concert. One of my favorite works from anyone. Can't say I know that Pintscher work.

king ubu

Coming up this week:

Camerata Bern
Meesun Hong Coleman Konzertmeisterin
Kit Armstrong Klavier

Johann Sebastian Bach Ouvertüre Nr. 1 C-Dur BWV 1066
Johann Sebastian Bach Klavierkonzert Nr. 6 F-Dur BWV 1057
Joseph Martin Kraus Sinfonie C-Dur VB 138
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Klavierkonzert Nr. 22 Es-Dur KV 482

----

Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich
Andrés Orozco-Estrada Leitung
Hilary Hahn Violine

Leos Janácek "Taras Bulba"
Sergej Prokofjew Violinkonzert Nr. 1 D-Dur op. 19
Antonín Dvorák Sinfonie Nr. 7 d-Moll op. 70

Looking foward very much to hearing Hahn in concert, finally! The first one is part of a series I've got a subscription for, and is the one I'm least interested in there ... but the repertoire looks nice enough (at least for somebody still pretty new to going to concerts and having not yet heard all the standard stuff up and down - and Kraus certainly goes beyond that).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Judith

Like to support local orchestras, so this weekend going to see
Sinfonia of Leeds performing

Mozart. Overture to Magic Flute
Shostakovich. Symphony no 9
Brahms. Piano Concerto no 2

Soloist is Danny Driver. Anyone come across him?

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on January 28, 2018, 11:40:59 PMTonhalle-Orchester Zürich
Andrés Orozco-Estrada Leitung
Hilary Hahn Violine

Leos Janácek "Taras Bulba"
Sergej Prokofjew Violinkonzert Nr. 1 D-Dur op. 19
Antonín Dvorák Sinfonie Nr. 7 d-Moll op. 70

Looking foward very much to hearing Hahn in concert, finally! The first one is part of a series I've got a subscription for, and is the one I'm least interested in there ... but the repertoire looks nice enough (at least for somebody still pretty new to going to concerts and having not yet heard all the standard stuff up and down - and Kraus certainly goes beyond that).

Hahn performing Prokofiev's VC1 should be riveting. Also, the Janáček and Dvořák should be awesome.

king ubu

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2018, 11:50:47 AM
Hahn performing Prokofiev's VC1 should be riveting. Also, the Janáček and Dvořák should be awesome.

That's what I'm hoping for! All that's less than outstanding will be a let-down ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on January 29, 2018, 12:33:51 PM
That's what I'm hoping for! All that's less than outstanding will be a let-down ...

All I can say now is enjoy!

king ubu

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2018, 12:36:03 PM
All I can say now is enjoy!

Will be in front row as usual (since this season that is) ... so Ms. Hahn will be prob. 2 metres from me. I love being close, even if it means the sound will suffer some (the stage is not so high, no hurting neck, and sound, I guess quite similar from what the conductor is hearing, though he's 2 metres further up of course, but the hall - see pics one page back - is really clear and transparent, so sound is quite good even up front, and even when the line-up is huge).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

kishnevi

Quote from: Judith on January 29, 2018, 02:45:14 AM
Like to support local orchestras, so this weekend going to see
Sinfonia of Leeds performing

Mozart. Overture to Magic Flute
Shostakovich. Symphony no 9
Brahms. Piano Concerto no 2

Soloist is Danny Driver. Anyone come across him?

I have him in completely different music (York Bowen sonatas, also on Hyperion).  He's good there, but Brahms PCs are quite different.

NikF

Gusztáv Fenyő plays the complete Preludes & Fugues of Bach and Shostakovich (1/5)

Bach (Book I):  Nos. 1-12
Shostakovich:  Nos. 1-4

I bought tickets for all five concerts in the series. They're interspersed throughout the next few months, with that same period including performances of the Shosty Piano Trio No.2 in E minor and his Leningrad Symphony, both of which I'll also be attending. It should be cool.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Judith

Quote from: king ubu on January 29, 2018, 12:39:27 PM
Will be in front row as usual (since this season that is) ... so Ms. Hahn will be prob. 2 metres from me. I love being close, even if it means the sound will suffer some (the stage is not so high, no hurting neck, and sound, I guess quite similar from what the conductor is hearing, though he's 2 metres further up of course, but the hall - see pics one page back - is really clear and transparent, so sound is quite good even up front, and even when the line-up is huge).

I was in front row for Joshua Bell and ASMF. Was a bit worried at first as heard horror stories about it but ended up loving it  there. Felt really close and could even hear him breathing. Acoustics weren't even too bad. Even smiled at me when he first walked on stage  :)

AnthonyAthletic

Friday 16 March 2018 - 1:30pm (Day off Work)  :D

Liverpool Philharmonic Hall : Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

J S Bach : Canon and Fugue (from The Art of Fugue) (arr. George Benjamin)
Schumann : Piano Concerto
Mahler : Symphony No. 1

Joshua Weilerstein (conductor); Anna Tsybuleva (piano) winner of the Prestigious Leeds International Piano Competition in 2015

Should be a good afternoon, make a day of it, and evening too....ie concert, food, ale.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Wanderer

Friday, 2 February 2018
Auditorium Parco della Musica - Roma
Orchestra e Coro dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia
Daniele Gatti

Schumann: Symphony No. 2
Schumann: Nachtlied
Schumann: Symphony No. 4

First time at the Santa Cecilia Hall. The all-wood interior looks more than a bit like the Megaron concert hall in Athens. And an all-Schumann program. Bring it!  8)

Draško

Next Thursday:

Ligeti - Atmospheres
Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez (harp transcription)
Tchaikovsky - Manfred Symphony

Xavier de Maistre (harp)
Belgrade Philharmonic
Uros Lajovic (cond.)

I'll be hearing all three pieces for the first time live, Rodrigo transcription the first time ever.

Brian

February in Dallas features big number twos (heh):

10 Feb
Haydn | Cello Concerto No 1
Rachmaninov | Symphony No 2

Harriet Krijgh, cello
Dallas SO | Jaap van Zweden

24 Feb
Mahler | Symphony No 2

Dallas SO | Jaap van Zweden

Jaap leaves in May and no replacement has been announced yet  :o

DaveF

Abergavenny Symphony Orchestra's annual Workshop, this Sunday 4th Feb.  This year's sacrificial victim is Mahler 5.  I've already managed to bring a preliminary rehearsal to a standstill with my fff tam-tam crash at the end of the 2nd movement, and aim to take the volume up to 11 on the day.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Judith

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on January 30, 2018, 07:55:39 AM
Friday 16 March 2018 - 1:30pm (Day off Work)  :D

Liverpool Philharmonic Hall : Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

J S Bach : Canon and Fugue (from The Art of Fugue) (arr. George Benjamin)
Schumann : Piano Concerto
Mahler : Symphony No. 1

Joshua Weilerstein (conductor); Anna Tsybuleva (piano) winner of the Prestigious Leeds International Piano Competition in 2015

Should be a good afternoon, make a day of it, and evening too....ie concert, food, ale.
Going to same concert at Leeds Town Hall a few days before. Looking forward☺

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Draško on January 31, 2018, 05:47:48 AM
Next Thursday:

Ligeti - Atmospheres
Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez (harp transcription)
Tchaikovsky - Manfred Symphony

Xavier de Maistre (harp)
Belgrade Philharmonic
Uros Lajovic (cond.)

I'll be hearing all three pieces for the first time live, Rodrigo transcription the first time ever.

Harp transcription? I am curious as to this choice as there is already the Concierto Serenata one can play, unless this was specifically the choice of the harp soloist. Concierto de Aranjuez seems too idiomatic for the guitar to work effectively on harp, but I could be wrong.

Brian

Quote from: jessop on February 01, 2018, 01:47:31 PM
Harp transcription? I am curious as to this choice as there is already the Concierto Serenata one can play, unless this was specifically the choice of the harp soloist. Concierto de Aranjuez seems too idiomatic for the guitar to work effectively on harp, but I could be wrong.
You can hear the transcription - done by Rodrigo himself - on a Naxos recording with Gwyneth Wentink. I actually prefer it to the guitar version! But for the composer, it's not just about pleasing harpists, it also helps address the balance issues where you have to calibrate your orchestration so carefully to make sure a guitar can be heard at all times. Orchestras can get a little rowdier when the soloist is playing a harp  ;D