What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on April 08, 2018, 01:54:07 AM
Just Chopin, or Schumann/Chopin - he was on tour in Europe with a Schumann/Chopin programme, it was quite amazing actually (although he didn't pull it all off in the manner he expected).

Chopin and Debussy, Preludes Book II (supporting his new album ;)).  I didn't notice the Debussy initially, and just since I bought the tickets I've become obsessed with Debussy's preludes.  What a pleasant coincidence is that?!! :D 8) If there is a God, I think she likes me!
It's all good...

Todd

Got the schedule for Portland Piano International for 2018/2019, and for these parts, it's pretty darned good.

- Olga Kern doing two mixed recitals, one with Carnaval, the other with a world premiere of a work by James Lee (A maybe.)

- Angela Hewitt doing two different all-Bach programs (A maybe.)

- Rachel Cheung, whom I've never heard, is doing a program with Chopin's Preludes and Schubert's D960.  (Hard to say no.)

- Boris Giltburg is doing mixed recital and then one that includes all of Rachmaninoff's Preludes.  (Very hard to say no.)

- Benjamin Grosvenor is back in town for the third time.  He's an automatic must see, but the big news here is that he's doing two Schumann works, including Kreisleriana, which hopefully means he will record it.  He's also doing Janacek's sonata, which means that with Cheung's alternate program, including In the Mists, I could hear two of Janacek's main piano works in one season.

- Behzod Abduraimov is doing the Liszt sonata.  Abduraimov doing anything is a front row and center type thing; him playing Liszt is a musical do or die event.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

king ubu

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 08, 2018, 03:37:05 AM
Chopin and Debussy, Preludes Book II (supporting his new album ;)).  I didn't notice the Debussy initially, and just since I bought the tickets I've become obsessed with Debussy's preludes.  What a pleasant coincidence is that?!! :D 8) If there is a God, I think she likes me!

Cool!

(Though I think I'd need a time machine and catch Marcelle Meyer to *really* enjoy Debussy's piano music in concert...)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Kontrapunctus

Pianist Igor Levit in my town on November 2!

Bach (arr. Brahms) Chaconne in D Minor
Busoni Fantasia after J.S. Bach
Schumann Geistervariationen (Ghost Variations)
Wagner (arr. Liszt) Parsifal: Solemn March to the Holy Grail
Liszt (arr. Busoni) Fantasy and Fugue on the Chorale "Ad nos, ad salutarem undam"

NikF

While through tonight for part two of five of the Bach/Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, I bought tickets for a number of concerts in the Scottish Symphony Orchestra's new season. This one looks cool -

Zappa: The Perfect Stranger.
Julian Anderson: The Imaginary Museum - concerto for piano and orchestra.
Ives: A Symphony New England Holidays.

Piano - Steven Osborne
Conductor - Ilan Volkov
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: NikF on April 11, 2018, 01:35:53 PM
While through tonight for part two of five of the Bach/Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, I bought tickets for a number of concerts in the Scottish Symphony Orchestra's new season. This one looks cool -

Zappa: The Perfect Stranger.
Julian Anderson: The Imaginary Museum - concerto for piano and orchestra.
Ives: A Symphony New England Holidays.

Piano - Steven Osborne
Conductor - Ilan Volkov

It looks very cool! I hope one day to see The Perfect Stranger performed live. Looks like a fun programme!

NikF

Quote from: jessop on April 11, 2018, 02:07:43 PM
It looks very cool! I hope one day to see The Perfect Stranger performed live. Looks like a fun programme!

Hey jessop. I didn't buy tickets for this one on account of it being in November and I might be elsewhere, but if possible I'll be attending -

Maurice Ravel: Le tombeau de Couperin
Matthias Pintscher: Un despertar (An awakening)(Second Cello Concerto)
Wolfgang Amadeus MozartSymphony No 39 in E flat major, K543

Bruno Delepelaire - cello

Matthias Pintscher -conductor

Hope you get to hear the Zappa performed live one day. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: NikF on April 11, 2018, 02:21:25 PM
Hey jessop. I didn't buy tickets for this one on account of it being in November and I might be elsewhere, but if possible I'll be attending -

Maurice Ravel: Le tombeau de Couperin
Matthias Pintscher: Un despertar (An awakening)(Second Cello Concerto)
Wolfgang Amadeus MozartSymphony No 39 in E flat major, K543

Bruno Delepelaire - cello

Matthias Pintscher -conductor

Hope you get to hear the Zappa performed live one day. :)

Ooooooh this programme looks even better! Pintscher and Mozart! And his conducting is so well suited to Ravel so this looks like a must see. 8)

Coming up, I might be seeing this concert on the 19th:

Ligeti: String Quartet No.1 Métamorphoses nocturnes
Chin: Šu – Australian Premiere
Ade Vincent: Hood Yourself In Stars (world premiere)
Chin: ParaMETAString

It is the first of two concerts from a new music festival hosted each year by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and the Melbourne Recital Centre. The second programme looks good too.

https://www.mso.com.au/subscription-series/metropolis-new-music-festival/

There will be some more concerts featuring chamber music as part of the festival throughout the week that I hope to attend.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on December 17, 2017, 10:53:49 AM
An unmissable concert on Feb. 17, bringing together two of my favorite things - craft beer and chamber music:

http://spektralquartet.com/concerts/2018/2/11/close-encounters-sipping-a-glass-of-1908-vienna

We liked this last Spektral Quartet concert enough that we're going to the next one, this Sunday:

http://spektralquartet.com/concerts/2018/4/15/close-encounters-concert-and-cocktails-at-lang-house

Schoenberg again, this time in the company of Ruth Crawford Seeger and Frank Lloyd Wright. Taking place at the Emil Bach House, a 1915 Wright design:

http://cdn.peoplevine.com/files/138/13824b54337-1919-40fb-a517-eae4fbf48a02.jpg

Who'd think a concert of 12-tone Schoenberg and American avant-gardist Crawford Seeger would sell out? This one did!
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

NikF

Quote from: jessop on April 11, 2018, 02:28:30 PM
Ooooooh this programme looks even better! Pintscher and Mozart! And his conducting is so well suited to Ravel so this looks like a must see. 8)

Yeah, I've seen/heard him conduct a couple of times now and his programmes are always interesting.

It is the first of two concerts from a new music festival hosted each year by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and the Melbourne Recital Centre. The second programme looks good too.

https://www.mso.com.au/subscription-series/metropolis-new-music-festival/

There will be some more concerts featuring chamber music as part of the festival throughout the week that I hope to attend.

That festival looks good - you'll be spoiled for choice if you find the time. :)

Mahlerian

Quote from: jessop on April 11, 2018, 02:28:30 PM

Oh, nice indeed.  I haven't heard ParaMETAString, though I've read through the score.

My next concert is going to be this Sunday at the New England Conservatory:

Bax: Trio for flute, viola, and harp "Elegiac"
Bach: Partita for flute solo BWV 1013
Ravel: Sonatine en trio for flute, viola, and harp
Falla: Suite populaire espagnole
Hosokawa: Arabesque for flute, viola, and harp (world premiere)
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Suite 2 (arr. for flute, viola, and harp)

Kim Kashkashian, Marina Piccinini, Siven Magen
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 11, 2018, 03:04:04 PMBax: Trio for flute, viola, and harp "Elegiac"
Bach: Partita for flute solo BWV 1013
Ravel: Sonatine en trio for flute, viola, and harp
Falla: Suite populaire espagnole
Hosokawa: Arabesque for flute, viola, and harp (world premiere)
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Suite 2 (arr. for flute, viola, and harp)

Kim Kashkashian, Marina Piccinini, Siven Magen

Fascinating program. I'm confused about the Ravel work though. Is this an arrangement of the Piano Trio or did you mean Debussy and not Ravel?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2018, 06:10:18 AM
Fascinating program. I'm confused about the Ravel work though. Is this an arrangement of the Piano Trio or did you mean Debussy and not Ravel?

I'm copying from the program listed on the website.  It could be either, but it says Ravel.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

North Star

I think it rather unlikely that there's an arrangement of the Ravel Trio for that group of instruments using the title of the Debussy work. ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

I don't usually post concerts I haven't bought tickets for yet (although I think these are on sale next week) nor do I like to plan too far ahead, but this one will be a cert for me -

Takemitsu: A flock descends into the pentagonal garden
Takemitsu: Requiem for Strings
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

Kelley O'Connor - mezzo-soprano

Paul Groves - tenor

Donald Runnicles - conductor

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2018, 06:10:18 AM

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 12, 2018, 07:32:47 AM
I'm copying from the program listed on the website.  It could be either, but it says Ravel.

It is an arrangement of the Ravel piano Sonatine for the "Debussy trio."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 12, 2018, 10:34:39 AM
It is an arrangement of the Ravel piano Sonatine for the "Debussy trio."

Thanks for the clarification.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 12, 2018, 10:38:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

The Bax (which he wrote at about the same time as the Debussy, though apparently neither knew of the other — one of those fascinating coincidences) is an exquisite score.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bhodges

Quote from: NikF on April 12, 2018, 09:51:31 AM
I don't usually post concerts I haven't bought tickets for yet (although I think these are on sale next week) nor do I like to plan too far ahead, but this one will be a cert for me -

Takemitsu: A flock descends into the pentagonal garden
Takemitsu: Requiem for Strings
Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

Kelley O'Connor - mezzo-soprano

Paul Groves - tenor

Donald Runnicles - conductor

This looks fantastic (as do the other two you posted). Takemitsu's orchestral works are rarely performed in the U.S. -- I heard A flock live maybe 20 years ago? -- and the lineup for Das Lied looks wonderful.

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 11, 2018, 02:37:50 PM
We liked this last Spektral Quartet concert enough that we're going to the next one, this Sunday:

http://spektralquartet.com/concerts/2018/4/15/close-encounters-concert-and-cocktails-at-lang-house

Schoenberg again, this time in the company of Ruth Crawford Seeger and Frank Lloyd Wright. Taking place at the Emil Bach House, a 1915 Wright design:

http://cdn.peoplevine.com/files/138/13824b54337-1919-40fb-a517-eae4fbf48a02.jpg

Who'd think a concert of 12-tone Schoenberg and American avant-gardist Crawford Seeger would sell out? This one did!

I love the Spektral Quartet! They come to NYC now and then, but hearing them more often would be a good reason to be in Chicago.

--Bruce