What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: king ubu on June 09, 2018, 12:07:39 PM
A (jazz) musician friend just raved about Janácek's operas recently ... have seen the old production of Jenufa in Zurich (around 2000, don't know exactly, they had another one later I think) and loved it back then. Need to explore those Mackerras (and Neuman and Gregor) recordings one day.

Jenůfa is one of my all time favourite operas; after many years of listening to recordings, I first attended a performance at the Wiener Staatsoper in 2016, with Dorothea Röschmann and a superb (both vocally and theatrically) Angela Denoke as Kostelnička. I'm curious to see what our own opera company will do with it, their recent Věc Makropulos was very satisfying.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Actually I am hoping to see Jenůfa in Munich this November. I saw The Cunning Little Vixen performed by one of my local opera companies here in Melbourne last year. I really loved that opera.

NikF

RCS Concerto Concert

Liszt: Piano Concerto No2
Horovitz: Trumpet Concerto
Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No1
Gregson: Saxophone Concerto

A concert by students from the Royal Conservatoire, accompanied by the RSNO and conducted by Holly Mathieson.
A new venue for me (and my first visit to Perth since city status was reinstated, I think) for a programme of which I've only heard the Shostakovich.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Draško

On Sunday:

Francois Couperin - Lecons de Tenebres
Radoslava Varagic, Zorica Pavlovic (sopranos)
New Trinity Baroque Ensemble

Then next Friday La Bayadere at National Theatre.

And maybe on 26th Christian Schmitt organ recital (Bach, Part, Gustav Merkel).

That pretty much ends this concert season.

listener

these look promising:   next Monday MAHLER Symphony no.2 "Resurrection"
Vancouver S.O. - Bramwell Tovey's last concert here.
and Friday next   Bohuslav Martinů: Concerto for Flute and Violin  Aaron Copland: Symphony No. 3
West Coast Orchestra
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

king ubu

Bernard Haitink fell during (after?) a concert last week and while he's luckily alright, it seems, he's cancelling same gigs, including the upcoming one next week at Tonhalle (with FP Zimmermann playing the Beethoven VC). Now Manfred Honneck is jumping in, playing Brahms 4 instead of Schumann 2 in the second half ...

Haitink is scheduled to appear again in September (with Till Fellner, whom I don't know at all yet, playing KV 482, and then Bruckner 7) - I've pre-ordered a ticket for that already but haven't yet received confirmation.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

If I had a few thousand dollars to spare, I would definitely head to this July's Colmar festival in the Alsace, featuring a Sokolov recital, Argerich with orchestra and chamber music, Seong-Jin Cho, Romain Descharmes, the Quatuor Sine Nomine, and a recital of Evgeny Kissin playing his own compositions with various guests.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Currently doing a series of performances (plus a recording for Chandos) of L'enfance du Christ by Berlioz. Andrew Davis is conducting.

ritter

I'll be attending a concert performance of Hans Werner Henze's opera The Bassarids (to a libretto by W.H. Auden and Chester Kallman) at the National Auditorium here in Madrid this evening. Kent Nagano conducts the Spanish National Orchestra and Chorus. Among the soloists, only the names of Marisol Montalvo (whose enthralling performance of Pli selon pli under Matthias Pintscher in Paris is available on YouTube) and Mihoko Fujimura (who was a distinguished Kundry in Bayreuth some years ago) are known to me.

I already saw The.Bassarids fully staged (under Arturo Tamayo) at the Teatro Real some twenty years ago, but it'll be nice to listen to it live again (of course, the OOP recording by Gerd Albrecht is in my collection). It'll also be great to encounter Nagano again, whom I've seen conducting a double bill of Wolfgang Rihm's Das Gehege and R. Strauss's Salome in Munich, and Tristan und Isolde in Hamburg, and is really great conductor IMHO.

Cato

The clock has ticked!

On June 28th I will be hearing (along with the gracious and fetching Mrs. Cato  8)  ) the Gurrelieder by Arnold Schoenberg in London, England, with Esa Pekka-Salonen conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Actress Barbara Sukowa will be the Sprecherin for the section Des Sommerwindes Wilde Jagd: her wild, shouting interpretation on a DGG recording  from the early '90's was something else!   ???    I will be interested to hear if she repeats the interpretation!

[asin]B000025WWW[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ritter

Quote from: Cato on June 17, 2018, 04:58:26 AM
The clock has ticked!

On June 28th I will be hearing (along with the gracious and fetching Mrs. Cato  8)  ) the Gurrelieder by Arnold Schoenberg in London, England, with Esa Pekka-Salonen conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Actress Barbara Sukowa will be the Sprecherin for the section Des Sommerwindes Wilde Jagd: her wild, shouting interpretation on a DGG recording  from the early '90's was something else!   ???    I will be interested to hear if she repeats the interpretation!

[asin]B000025WWW[/asin]
That looks very appealing! I must confess I haven't heard the Abbado recording, but I should...and Frau Sukowa is a great actress IMO. She was outstanding as Hannah Arendt in the film by Margarethe von Trotta.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ritter on June 17, 2018, 04:23:00 AM
I'll be attending a concert performance of Hans Werner Henze's opera The Bassarids (to a libretto by W.H. Auden and Chester Kallman) at the National Auditorium here in Madrid this evening. Kent Nagano conducts the Spanish National Orchestra and Chorus. Among the soloists, only the names of Marisol Montalvo (whose enthralling performance of Pli selon pli under Matthias Pintscher in Paris is available on YouTube) and Mihoko Fujimura (who was a distinguished Kundry in Bayreuth some years ago) are known to me.

I already saw The.Bassarids fully staged (under Arturo Tamayo) at the Teatro Real some twenty years ago, but it'll be nice to listen to it live again (of course, the OOP recording by Gerd Albrecht is in my collection). It'll also be great to encounter Nagano again, whom I've seen conducting a double bill of Wolfgang Rihm's Das Gehege and R. Strauss's Salome in Munich, and Tristan und Isolde in Hamburg, and is really great conductor IMHO.

I am going to have to put you on my ignore list because you always make me insanely jealous whenever I read your posts in this thread! ;D I hope you enjoy this. I love The Bassarids and I think it's Henze's best opera.

vandermolen

Bernstein: 'Jeremiah' Symphony Proms in London

Elgar Cello Concerto (my daughter's favourite piece of classical music) and Vaughan Williams's 'Dona Nobis Pacem' together at the London Proms in August if I can get tickets for us.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: jessop on June 17, 2018, 05:28:19 AM
I hope you enjoy this. I love The Bassarids and I think it's Henze's best opera.
I did enjoy this very much. I don't know if it's Henze's best opera (I don't know them all), but The Bassarids certainly is a major work, and this opera "in four movements" works perfectly well as a symphony with voices. The stars of the evening were Kent Nagano (who managed the contrasts in atmosphere of the different scenes very well, and made the most of Henze's lush orchestration) and the chorus, who were simply superb in their (important) contribution. Warm applause at the end, and very few desertions in the intermission. Pity that this time around the National Auditorium didn't think it necessary to project the text as supertitles, so that the interesting (and at times beautifully poetic) libretto could not be appreciated by those unfamiliar with the work.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

At the end of the final concert of L'Enfance du Christ! Sir Andrew has been wonderfully happy over the past week. (I think we did a good job!)  ;D

I don't know if the link works outside Australia but here is what was a live broadcast. The performances will be edited into a 'live recording' for Chandos for a CD release. http://www.abc.net.au/classic/evenings/mso-lenfance-du-christ/9714886

edit: oh my fucking god that final chorus is actually beautiful

GioCar

Hi Jessop, if my sight is still good enough, you are almost in the middle of the chorus, just behind the left microphone wire.
Aren't you?  8)

king ubu

Quote from: GioCar on June 18, 2018, 08:17:17 AM
Hi Jessop, if my sight is still good enough, you are almost in the middle of the chorus, just behind the left microphone wire.
Aren't you?  8)

Looks like him for sure!

On topic - looking forward tremendously (and that's the understatement of the month!) to "Fin de partie", György Kurtág's opera after Beckett, to be premiered in November at la Scala - opening night with GioCar (hey there  ;D ) and second night hopefully with another friend.

Details:
http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/2017-2018/opera/fin-de-partie.html
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ritter

Quote from: jessop on June 18, 2018, 04:52:14 AM
At the end of the final concert of L'Enfance du Christ! Sir Andrew has been wonderfully happy over the past week. (I think we did a good job!)  ;D

I don't know if the link works outside Australia but here is what was a live broadcast. The performances will be edited into a 'live recording' for Chandos for a CD release. http://www.abc.net.au/classic/evenings/mso-lenfance-du-christ/9714886

Must have been a great experience...such a beautiful piece. The link works here in Spain, and I'll look out for the Chsndos CDs as soon as they're released. Congratulations, jessop:)

Quote from: king ubu on June 18, 2018, 11:09:15 AM
On topic - looking forward tremendously (and that's the understatement of the month!) to "Fin de partie", György Kurtág's opera after Beckett, to be premiered in November at la Scala - opening night with GioCar (hey there  ;D ) and second night hopefully with another friend.
That looks very, very appealing, ubu. Hope you and GioCar enjoy it. I know it still several months away, but do report, please.

king ubu

Quote from: ritter on June 18, 2018, 11:29:00 AM
That looks very, very appealing, ubu. Hope you and GioCar enjoy it. I know it still several months away, but do report, please.

I'm expecting nothing less than the highlight of the new opera seasons (I know La Scala closes with that, but new season really starts after the long summer break, doesn't it?  ;) ) - just as Heinz Holliger's fantastic "Lunea" was the highlight of the season that is about to end (one more to go, a new production of Monteverdi's "L'incoronazione di Poppea").
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: GioCar on June 18, 2018, 08:17:17 AM
Aren't you?  8)
Yep that's me! 8)