What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Thank you!

Morigan, please give us your impressions on Pinnock's Christmas Oratorio.

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on December 12, 2007, 01:20:50 PM
ChamberNut, very interesting!  I've actually been to Winnipeg--my dad lived there for awhile back in the 1980s.  Great city.  (PS, did you get P.M.?)

--Bruce

Small world, eh Bruce?  :)  Yes, I did get your PM, thank you.

Morigan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 13, 2007, 04:49:20 AM
Thank you!

Morigan, please give us your impressions on Pinnock's Christmas Oratorio.

Sure thing. BTW, are you from Montreal? The OSM and Nagano gave a great concert here last season for their Canadian tour. This guy's conducting is electrifying (and he conducted Beethoven's 7th, so you can imagine).

Lilas Pastia

Yes I am from Montreal! Honestly I'm not crazy about Nagano. I'm surprised to hear he can be electrifying. This gives me hope! So far I've found him quite dull. I have tickets for the Bruckner 5 he'll conduct next Spring :D

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 13, 2007, 05:34:53 AM
Yes I am from Montreal! Honestly I'm not crazy about Nagano. I'm surprised to hear he can be electrifying. This gives me hope! So far I've found him quite dull. I have tickets for the Bruckner 5 he'll conduct next Spring :D

Argh! Lilas Pastia, I am so jealous! :)  I've been wanting to hear a live performance of a Bruckner symphony, and the 5th is one of my favorites.  I actually ran into the WSO conductor a month ago at the grocery store, and we chatted a bit.  I asked him "So...any chance we'll have some Bruckner in the next season 2008/2009?"  He then asked me my favorite Bruckner symphony was and I listed 3 or 4 different ones, of course. :)  He said he would keep it in mind.   ;D  We'll see!

Morigan

Maybe he was just showing off on tour!!  ;D I remember he was as energic as those young latino conductors.
I also heard his 9th last year, it was broadcast by Radio-Canada. I think it was his first official concert as conductor or the OSM.

Chambernut : We had Bruckner's 8th in Ottawa last season. :D

MishaK

I will be seeing John Adams's Dr. Atomic at the Lyric Opera tomorrow.  :D

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on December 13, 2007, 06:47:25 AM

Oh you lucky dog...do post impressions.   :D

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: Morigan on December 13, 2007, 05:49:00 AM

Morigan, there is no need to be cruel!  :'(

:D

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: O Mensch on December 13, 2007, 06:47:25 AM

I have  a dowload of an August 2007 concert (not heard yet) and I thought it was an orchestral piece  ??? The notes only mention an orchestra and conductor (Adams himself). No mention of any singers. What am I to expect??

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Morigan on December 13, 2007, 05:49:00 AM
Maybe he was just showing off on tour!!  ;D I remember he was as energic as those young latino conductors.
I also heard his 9th last year, it was broadcast by Radio-Canada. I think it was his first official concert as conductor or the OSM.

If you're referring to Bruckner's 9th, I was at that concert and it was a turgid and unexciting affair. As far removed as could be from Nézet-Séguin's impassioned interpretation (from last September - a cd is coming out soon on ATMA).

Hear ye, Londoners: Nézet-Séguin has been appointed principal guest conductor of the LPO as of September 2008. I fully expect you bunch to give us reports :D. NZ will also make his début at the Salzburg Festival next Summer. This young man is going places!

not edward

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 13, 2007, 05:43:01 PM
I have  a dowload of an August 2007 concert (not heard yet) and I thought it was an orchestral piece  ??? The notes only mention an orchestra and conductor (Adams himself). No mention of any singers. What am I to expect??
That was the Doctor Atomic Symphony, four movements assembled from parts of the opera with the vocal lines replaced by instrumental ones. I wasn't terribly impressed, to be honest, but it sounded to me as if it would work better in operatic form.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Millfields

Looking forward to the following in Amsterdam:

Jan 16th Mahler 5/ Strauss Don Juan - Concertgebouw/ Maris Jansons
Feb 24th Wagner Walkure 1st Act / Schubert 8th  - Haitink/Concertgebouw
Feb 25th Mozart Cosi fan tutte - Vienna state opera/Schneider
3rd May  Mahler 4/ Strauss Till Eulenspiegel / Strauss misc songs - Ivan Fischer Budapest fest Orch
10th May Tristan und Isolde  - Dutch national opera
? June (if I can get a ticket) - Alfred Brendel

Anyone going to these concerts?

Lilas Pastia

Going to Belgium from late May to June 12. I'll be looking for concerts in Amsterdam, Liège, Antwerp or Cologne.

Millfields

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 15, 2007, 07:34:33 AM
Going to Belgium from late May to June 12. I'll be looking for concerts in Amsterdam, Liège, Antwerp or Cologne.

You may also want to include Rotterdam in your search  ;)

Lilas Pastia

You're righ, I didn't think of it! So far I've been to the Amsterdam Concertgebouw twice, and the Cologne Philharmonie once.

I try to settle for places that can be reached within a couple of hours by train. :D

Florestan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 16, 2007, 06:37:32 AM
I try to settle for places that can be reached within a couple of hours by train. :D

Then you have all Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg at your disposal...  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Lilas Pastia

I know. Here's what I have found:

- Amsterdam Concertgebouw: June 6, Myung-Whun Chung - Messiaen and Bruckner (sy no. 6)

- Rotterdam Philharmonic: Also on June 6, Andrew Davis: Bach Passacaglia en fuga in c -Mozart Tweede fluitconcert (Emmanul Pahud, flute) - Takemitsu I Hear the Water Dreaming - Tippett Vierde symfonie (4th symphony)

- Liège Philharmonic: on tour in China  :P

- SWR Cologne : the Concertgebouw on tour, with Messiaen and Schubert songs orchestrated by Webern.

- Luxembourg: nothing during my dates.

Methink another visit to Amsterdam will figure on the agenda :D

Drasko

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 17, 2007, 04:41:02 PM
I know. Here's what I have found:

Have you tried going westwards? Lille has a decent orchestra and their fancy website lists Das Lied von der Erde with Urmana on June 3, but it looks it's a guest concert in Paris (my french isn't good enough, so you might check yourself).