What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Friday evening's upcoming concert!

Bacewicz - Concerto for string orchestra

Paderewski - Piano Concerto in A minor

Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 3 in A minor 'Scottish'

Janina Fialkowska - piano
Gemma New - guest conductor
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra

Really looking forward to this concert.  Only recently familiar with the Paderewski concerto, and have not yet heard the Bacewicz work.

Brian

This Saturday

Beethoven | Coriolan
Tchaikovsky | Violin Concerto
Walton | Symphony No. 1

Karen Gomyo
Dallas SO
Carlos Kalmar

Feels appropriate to be seeing the Walton live just days after the death of its greatest advocate.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on March 01, 2019, 06:01:57 AM
This Saturday

Beethoven | Coriolan
Tchaikovsky | Violin Concerto
Walton | Symphony No. 1

Karen Gomyo
Dallas SO
Carlos Kalmar

Feels appropriate to be seeing the Walton live just days after the death of its greatest advocate.

Kalmar is great. Should be a good concert.

GioCar

In a couple of hours:

Gustav Mahler   
Nicht zu schnell
dal Quartetto con pianoforte in la min.
(orchestrazione di Colin Matthews)
Prima esecuzione in Italia

Symphonisches Präludium
(ricostruzione di Albrecht Gürsching)
Prima esecuzione in Italia

Sinfonia n.5 in do diesis min.

Filarmonica della Scala, Riccardo Chailly

king ubu

Claire Huangci's recital was amazing to watch ... and quite amazing, all things considered. The only quibble is that in that flow of music I'd have wished for some more active shaping of things. I think I loved the Scarlatti sonatas she played for starters best, all things considered (and am tempted to look for her Scarlatti disc now). The Chopin and Rach was mighty fine to witness live, but I don't feel like this is the kind of take on the music I feel like listening at home.

The night before, Lucia di Lammermoor, conducted by the great Nello Santi was quite wonderful indeed! He is much loved in Zurich (one of the places he's been living at for many decades) and still appears at the opera once in a while. Last I saw "L'Elisir d'amore", now "Lucia" ... a very lyrical take, beautifully sung and played, with a wonderful Lucia in Nina Minasyan (didn't know her at all before).

--

Coming up next week:

Monday night: Anja Harteros in recital (Wolfram Rieger at the piano)
Tuesday night: Heinz Holliger, Oliver Schnyder and friends playing Beethoven's Quintet op. 16, Mozart's Quintet KV 452 and more
Thursday night: La Scintilla/Riccardo Minasi - Bach's Brandenburg concertos
Sunday night: Janine Jansen/Alexander Gavrylyuk with R. Schumann's sonata no. 1 op. 105, C. Schumann's Drei Romanzen op. 22, Brahms' sonata no. 2 op. 100 and Franck's sonata

quite busy indeed, and the week after won't be any better  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ritter

Quote from: ritter on February 25, 2019, 03:51:40 AM

I might attend a concert at the auditorium of the Museo Reina Sofía next Monday March 4th. It's being held as a peripheral activity to the (IMHO not that interesting) exhibition "Lost, Loose and Loved", which deals with foreign painters in post-WW2 Paris, but is rather haphazardly put together. The Sinfonietta of the Reina Sofia Music School, under Jorge Rotter—who studied with Stockhausen, Kagel and Pousseur—, will perform a program that contains two all-time favourites of mine: Pierre Boulez's Mémoriale ("...explosante-fixe..." originel) and Georges Enesco's Chamber Symphony, op. 33. The rest of the program consists of Isang Yun's Distanzen (I'm not familiar with this work) and Paul Hindemith's Kammermusik nº 3, op. 36, nº 2 (which should be interesting, but I really cannot see what relation a work from 1925 bears to post-WW2 Paris  ::)). Admission is free, so I can decide in the last moment.
Just back from this, and it was superb! I felt privileged of having been able to hear two all-time favourite works of mine in concert, Boulez's MémorialeGala Kossakowski was very seductive as the solo flutist—and Enesco's Chamber Symphony. The latter I had never heard live, and it's mesmerising; the dense harmonies, the lace-like counterpoint and the kaleidoscopic shift in focus from one instrument to the next throughout the whole piece. An extraordinary composition!

Isang Yun's Distanzen was completely new to me, and most interesting; very expressive (perhaps too obviously so at points), with some oriental touches interlaced with its modern idiom. I'll probably explore this man's music further.

The final piece, Hindemith's Kammermusik No, 3 I hadn't listened to in ages. Not something I'm really crazy about, but an interesting and archetypal Hindemith composition (expressionism meets neoclassicism meets new objectivity, peppered with some grotesque touches). Just listen to some of the writing for woodwind, and you know who the composer is right away  ;). Again, the soloist, cellist Minji Kim, was outstanding.

Argentine conductor Jorge Rotter shaped each piece beautifully, and the students of the Reina Sofia Music School played as if their lives depended on it (I think no single musician played in more than one piece). Beautiful concert!   :) :) :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 04, 2019, 12:44:31 PM
Just back from this, and it was superb! I felt privileged of having been able to hear two all-time favviurire works of mine in concert, Boulez's MémorialeGala Kossakowski was very seductive as the solo flutist—and Enesco's Chamber Symphony. The latter I had never heard live, and it's mesmerising; the dense harmonies, the lace-like counterpoint and the kaleidoscopic shift in focus from one instrument to the next throughout the whole piece. An extraordinary composition!

Isang Yun's Distanzen was completely new to me, and most interesting; very expressive (perhaps too obviously so at points), with some oriental touches interlaced with its modern idiom. I'll probably explore this man's music further.

The final piece, Hindemith's Kammermusik No, 3 I hadn't listened to in ages. Not something I'm really crazy about, but an interesting and archetypal Hindemith composition (expressionism meets neoclassicism meets new objectivity, peppered with some grotesque touches). Just listen to some of the writing for woodwind, and you know who the composer is right away  ;). Again, the soloist, cellist Minji Kim, was outstanding.

Argentine conductor Jorge Rotter shaped each piece beautifully, and the students of the Reina Sofia Music School played as if their lives depended on it (I think no single musician played in more than one piece). Beautiful concert!   :) :) :)

Sounds like a great concert, Rafael. Wish I could have seen it.

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 27, 2019, 09:33:00 AM
Friday evening's upcoming concert!

Bacewicz - Concerto for string orchestra

Paderewski - Piano Concerto in A minor

Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 3 in A minor 'Scottish'

Janina Fialkowska - piano
Gemma New - guest conductor
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra

Really looking forward to this concert.  Only recently familiar with the Paderewski concerto, and have not yet heard the Bacewicz work.

Gemma is the musical director here in Hamilton. Very appealing personality on the podium, and seems to do a good job.

king ubu

Anja Harteros was ... wow! I'm still in a kind of trance remembering it! This was the programme:

Ludwig van Beethoven
An die Hoffnung Op. 32

Franz Schubert
Rastlose Liebe Op. 5 Nr. 1
Im Frühling (Nachlass) Lfg. 25
Der Jüngling an der Quelle (Nachlass) Lfg. 36
Litanei (Nachlass) Lfg. 10

Robert Schumann
Stille Tränen Op. 35 Nr. 10
Was will die einsame Träne? Op. 25 Nr. 21
Ich wandelte unter den Bäumen Op. 24 Nr. 3
Der Hidalgo Op. 30 Nr. 3

Johannes Brahms
Der Strom, der neben mir verrauschte Op. 32 Nr. 4
Liebestreu Op. 3 Nr. 1
Auf dem Kirchhof Op. 15 Nr. 4
Wie rafft' ich mich auf Op. 32 Nr. 1
Am Sonntag Morgen Op. 49 Nr. 1
Der Gang zum Liebchen Op. 48 Nr. 1
Meine Liebe ist grün Op. 63 Nr. 5

Hugo Wolf
Gesang Weylas
Verschwiegene Liebe
Verborgenheit
Storchenbotschaft
Er ist's

ENCORE: Richard Strauss
Zueignung Op. 10 Nr. 1
Morgen! Op. 27 Nr. 4

The way she is able to control her voice, do everything from the smallest pianissimo (still easily filling the room), including looooooooong held notes at the lowest volume ... there's hardly and (I think there were about two the whole evening) disruptures when she changes register ... and of course she has a talent as an actress, so "Der Hidalgo" and "Storchenbotschaft" became quite hilarious. The sadness, the beauty, the ... bonheur (luck is not the same, sorry). I was actually ready to die when the final chord of "Morgen!" disappeared in the air.

---

Tonight - still no info on who the "friends" are (or if Holliger will be the second pianist in his and Kurtág's pieces) ... both quintets are new to me:

Heinz Holliger, Oboe
Oliver Schnyder, Klavier
& Freunde

Ludwig van Beethoven Quintett in Es-Dur op. 16
Heinz Holliger Der zwanzigfingerige ChineSenn (Klavier 4-händig)
--
György Kurtg Jatekok (Klavier 4-händig)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Quintett in Es-Dur KV 452
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 06:46:18 PM
Gemma is the musical director here in Hamilton. Very appealing personality on the podium, and seems to do a good job.

Ken, it was a great concert.  AND, Gemma New does have a great personality!  Attended her pre-concert chat.  I would love to see her return again for future concerts.

Wendell_E

I just bought a ticket for tomorrow's Pensacola Symphony performance of Mahler's 6th, a work I've never heard live. They did a wonderful 3rd a couple of seasons ago.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

NikF4

PROGRAMME:
Works by Schumann, Clara (1819-1896)
Works by Schumann, Robert (1810-1856)
Works by Brahms, Johannes (1833-1897)

PERFORMERS:
Royal College of Music students

We were given tickets for this and next to no info other than that. But why not attend? And it's nicely situated in a part of the day when a late lunch can be enjoyed afterwards.

NikF4

Quote from: Wendell_E on March 08, 2019, 02:31:22 AM
I just bought a ticket for tomorrow's Pensacola Symphony performance of Mahler's 6th, a work I've never heard live. They did a wonderful 3rd a couple of seasons ago.

That sounds great. Hope you enjoy it.  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Wendell_E on March 08, 2019, 02:31:22 AM

I hope you enjoy the concert, Wendell.  Hearing the 6th live about 8 years ago was a wonderful experience!  :)

André

I just received the next season's brochure of the Orchestre métropolitain (Montréal). Yannick Nézet-Séguin will share conducting duties with various guests, all of them young and unknown. The ad proudly announces that 80% of the visiting conductors are women. This is the first time I see that used as a selling line. Maybe they have a point.

Brian

In an hour:

Schumann
Samuel Carl Adams (son of John C.)
Dvorak

Piano quintets

Alexander String Quarter + Joyce Yang, piano

Cool to see three big quintets in one evening, from artists I have admired for years, including a piece that got its world premiere from these players just a few weeks ago.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 09, 2019, 03:23:31 PM
In an hour:

Schumann
Samuel Carl Adams (son of John C.)
Dvorak

Piano quintets

Alexander String Quarter + Joyce Yang, piano

Cool to see three big quintets in one evening, from artists I have admired for years, including a piece that got its world premiere from these players just a few weeks ago.

The Dvořák and Schumann should be good.

Wanderer

Thursday, 21 March 2019

Maison de la Radio - Auditorium de Radio France, Paris

Sergueï Rachmaninov

Trio élégiaque n°1
Rhapsodie sur un thème de Paganini

Richard Strauss
Don Quichotte

Makoto Ozone piano
Edgar Moreau violoncelle
Jean-Philippe Kuzma violon
Catherine De Vençay violoncelle

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
Lahav Shani piano et direction

GioCar

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2019, 03:31:41 PM
The Dvořák and Schumann should be good.
:laugh:

I didn't know John (C.) Adams had a composer son...

Mirror Image

Quote from: GioCar on March 10, 2019, 12:11:35 AM
:laugh:

I didn't know John (C.) Adams had a composer son...

I knew he did, but I choose to ignore it. ;D