What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

In order to escape the heatwave (France and the Low Countries are sizzlingly hot) I attended an afternoon concert at Antwerps "Vleeshuis" - the butchers guild building. It is at least 500 years old and houses a beautiful collection of instruments - from bells and harpsichords (Ruckers), to accordions and pianos. Thick walls: it was cool inside.
Anyway, the ensemble Cannamella performed  "Souterliedekens" and short instrumental works for lute by Pierre Attaignant.
The acoustic of the hall wasn't always flattering to soprano Sarah Van Mol's quite big voice , nor to (the superb) lute of Sofie Vanden Eynde.
Still, a great way of escaping the heat and discovering some lovely psalms ( Clemens Non Papa, Symon Cock, Balthasar Resinarius...) and a very fun and very naughty "Tsou een meysken gaen om wijn". Willem Ceuleers (1962) wrote two little pieces in honor of Antwerp in a convincing 16th century style.
In Cannamella Aline Hopchet plays flutes and crumhorns, An Van Laethem is violinist and Luc Torremans has healthy lungs for badulcians and crumhorns.

Karl Henning

My band are playing the program we performed at King's Chapel last month, at my church after this morning's service. Some 2019 pieces of my own, and of my friend Pam Marshall.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

July 13 is going to be Big Music Day!

First, we go to the Square Roots Festival at Old Town School of Folk Music:

https://squareroots.org/

Then in the evening, it's up to Ravinia for this:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Lionel Bringuier, conductor
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, pianist
Ravel: Mother Goose suite
Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite (1919)
Gershwin: Cuban Overture
Gershwin: Concerto in F
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Christo

Quote from: pjme on June 26, 2019, 09:47:15 AM
In order to escape the heatwave (France and the Low Countries are sizzlingly hot) I attended an afternoon concert at Antwerps "Vleeshuis" - the butchers guild building. It is at least 500 years old and houses a beautiful collection of instruments - from bells and harpsichords (Ruckers), to accordions and pianos. Thick walls: it was cool inside.
Anyway, the ensemble Cannamella performed  "Souterliedekens" and short instrumental works for lute by Pierre Attaignant.
The acoustic of the hall wasn't always flattering to soprano Sarah Van Mol's quite big voice , nor to (the superb) lute of Sofie Vanden Eynde.
Still, a great way of escaping the heat and discovering some lovely psalms ( Clemens Non Papa, Symon Cock, Balthasar Resinarius...) and a very fun and very naughty "Tsou een meysken gaen om wijn". Willem Ceuleers (1962) wrote two little pieces in honor of Antwerp in a convincing 16th century style.
In Cannamella Aline Hopchet plays flutes and crumhorns, An Van Laethem is violinist and Luc Torremans has healthy lungs for badulcians and crumhorns.
Great story! (Your lively description of these 'badulcians and crumhorns' made me think of a passage in 'Vespers', part of the Horae Canonicae by W.H. Auden:

'... and there I stand in Eden again, welcomed back by the krumhorns, doppions, sordumes of jolly miners and a bob major from the Cathedral (romanesque) of St Sophie (Die Kalte)'  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SurprisedByBeauty

Looking BACK at this concert: I got to see the Ring in Budapest last month -- and Adam Fischer and his Hungarian Ntl. RSO were a marvelous surprise (almost as much as Concerto Budapest with Andras Keller). As was the cast, to the extent it was unknown: Superb! Pictures of Rheingold here: Bayreuth on the Danube: The Budapest Wagner Days. Production Photos from Das Rheingold

...and the first part of my review on ClassicsToday here: A Magnificent Budapest Ring: Prelude and Rheingold

vandermolen

Two proms concerts coming up:

Weinberg: Symphony 3 with Dorothy Howell 'Lamia' and Elgar's Cello Concerto.

Also a concert featuring Paul Ben Haim's First Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 02, 2018, 04:46:11 AM
Mahler - Symphony No.8

Chetham's Symphony Orchestra - Stephen Threlfall conductor | Ailish Tynan soprano | Gweneth-Ann Jeffers soprano | Daniel Norman tenor | David Platt  bass | Ruby Hughes  soprano | Kitty Whately  mezzo soprano | Margaret McDonald soprano
Chetham's Symphony Orchestra
With special guests: Chetham's Chorus | Leeds Festival Chorus | St George's Singers | Greater Manchester Hub Youth Choir | Manchester Cathedral Choristers | Hereford Cathedral School Children's Choir

This was Friday night. Whilst impressive in its scale and with some decent playing and great singers, this concert sadly still hasn't converted me to this work. It just doesn't tickle me at all. Still glad I have attended it and crossed it off my concert list.

Best and somewhat unexpected moment of the evening was the opening rendition of God Save The Queen, the Benjamin Britten version. The concert was recorded for BBC Radio 3 (for broadcast on July 10th i believe) and was attended by Prince Edward as patron of Chetham School.

First time I am actually moved by this anthem  0:) and first Royal I see in flesh. Exciting times...  ;D 

Olivier

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Ravinia on Friday:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Marin Alsop, conductor
Mahler: Symphony No. 8

I haven't heard a live Mahler 8 in ages - the last time was also at Ravinia (under Jimmy the Disgraced).

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

listener

Some extra Vancouver S.O. concerts booked while advance sale prices are in effect.  Some potboilers but interesting conductors or soloists
November:  Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3 (Trifonov)   Scriabin Poem of Ecstasy
January: Boulez: Mémorale (... explosante-fixe ... Originel) Saint-Saëns Cello Concerto No. 1 Berlioz  Symphonie fantastique    Jun Märkl cond.
April: Dinuk Wijeratne Polyphonic Lively  Mozart:  Piano Concerto No. 25  Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade   Elim Chan cond. 

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

bhodges

An incredible-looking, free live-streamed concert coming up on September 20:

Anton Webern
Im Sommerwind, Idyll für großes Orchester
Dmitrij Schostakowitsch
Violoncellokonzert Nr. 2 G-Dur op. 126
György Kurtág
Stele für großes Orchester op. 33
Gustav Mahler
Adagio aus der Sinfonie Nr. 10 Fis-Dur (Fragment)

Nicolas Altstaedt, Violoncello
SWR Symphonieorchester
Dirigent: Teodor Curentzis

https://www.swr.de/swrclassic/symphonieorchester/SWR-Symphonieorchester-Stuttgart,veranstaltung-648.html

--Bruce

pjme

September 20th / Utrecht

Groot Omroepkoor
James Gaffigan dirigent
Sasha Cooke mezzosopraan
Cécile van de Sant alt
Alessandro Fischer tenor
Jean-Luc Ballestra bariton

programma
Debussy Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Ravel Shéhérazade
Roussel Évocations

bhodges

Quote from: pjme on August 12, 2019, 06:27:50 AM
September 20th / Utrecht

Groot Omroepkoor
James Gaffigan dirigent
Sasha Cooke mezzosopraan
Cécile van de Sant alt
Alessandro Fischer tenor
Jean-Luc Ballestra bariton

programma
Debussy Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Ravel Shéhérazade
Roussel Évocations

Great program, but the Roussel seems like the prize, even without hearing a note of it. I have never seen it on any concert schedule -- at least, in the U.S.  Please report back!  8)

--Bruce

pjme

I will.
And the Roussel Evocations is of course the reason I will go.

bhodges

This fantastic concert, live-streamed just two days ago, is on YouTube for two weeks. I will definitely be watching again, especially since I'd never heard the Maderna nor the Rihm. It is a joy to hear recent works for large orchestra done with such impressive forces, and the two soloists in the Maderna are terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq0fKu127x4&t=723s

SUN, 08.09. | 18.30 | KKL Luzern, Concert Hall

Orchestra of the LUCERNE FESTIVAL ALUMNI   
Riccardo Chailly, conductor
Jacques Zoon, flute
Lucas Macías Navarro, oboe

Alexander Mosolov (1900–1973)
The Iron Foundry Op. 19

Bruno Maderna (1920–1973)
Grande Aulodia for flute and oboe solo with orchestra 
Swiss premiere

Arnold Schoenberg (1874–1951)
Five Orchestra Pieces, Op. 16
version for large orchestra from 1909

Wolfgang Rihm (*1952)
Dis-Kontur for large orchestra
Swiss premiere

--Bruce

Cato

Quote from: Brewski on September 10, 2019, 01:38:55 PM
This fantastic concert, live-streamed just two days ago, is on YouTube for two weeks. I will definitely be watching again, especially since I'd never heard the Maderna nor the Rihm. It is a joy to hear recent works for large orchestra done with such impressive forces, and the two soloists in the Maderna are terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq0fKu127x4&t=723s

SUN, 08.09. | 18.30 | KKL Luzern, Concert Hall

Orchestra of the LUCERNE FESTIVAL ALUMNI   
Riccardo Chailly, conductor
Jacques Zoon, flute
Lucas Macías Navarro, oboe

Alexander Mosolov (1900–1973)
The Iron Foundry Op. 19

Bruno Maderna (1920–1973)
Grande Aulodia for flute and oboe solo with orchestra 
Swiss premiere

Arnold Schoenberg (1874–1951)
Five Orchestra Pieces, Op. 16
version for large orchestra from 1909

Wolfgang Rihm (*1952)
Dis-Kontur for large orchestra
Swiss premiere

--Bruce

Many thanks for this information and the link! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

pjme

November 5th

De Munt / La monnaie Brussels: Honegger's Jeanne d'Arc au bûcher.

KAZUSHI ONO - conductor
ROMEO CASTELLUCCI - director

Jeanne : AUDREY BONNET
Frère Dominique: SÉBASTIEN DUTRIEUX
La Vierge:ILSE EERENS
Marguerite:  TINEKE VAN INGELGEM
Catherine:  AUDE EXTRÉMO
Une Voix, Porcus, Héraut I, Le Clerc : JEAN-NOËL BRIEND
Une Voix, Héraut II, Paysan:  JÉRÔME VARNIER

https://www.youtube.com/v/XnaxkL0yLjY

Castellucci's Jeanne may/will shock some viewers. He very literally strips her of a sentimental, romanticized past....

Florestan

Enescu Festival 2019

September 18

ST. PETERSBURG PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

VASSILY SINAISKY conductor
NELSON FREIRE piano

Beethoven Piano Concerto no. 4 in G major op. 58
Mahler Symphony no. 1 in D major

September 19

ST. PETERSBURG PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

CHRISTIAN BADEA conductor
ROMANIAN RADIO ACADEMIC CHOIR
CIPRIAN ŢUŢU conductor of the choir
VADIM REPIN violin

Enescu "Isis" Poem (1923, posthumously completed by Pascal Bentoiu)
Shostakovich Violin concerto no. 1 in A minor op. 77
Dvořák Symphony no. 9 in E minor op. 95, "From the New World"
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Tonight!

Augusta Read Thomas - Aureole
Beethoven - Piano Concerto No 5
R. Strauss - An Alpine Symphony

Beatrice Rana, piano
Dallas Symphony
Fabio Luisi

Christo

Amsterdam Concertgebouw, October 14:

Strauss - Don Juan, Op. 20
Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 in E minor, Op. 93

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Vasily Petrenko
Leif Ove Andsnes, piano
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948