What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Tomorrow at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester :

Jeffrey Mumford Within diffuse echoes ... softly spreading (18') (BBC commission: world premiere)
Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No.1 (19')
Mahler Symphony No.5 (68')

BBC Philharmonic - Joana Carneiro (conductor) - Denis Kozhukhin (piano)

Teeny bit excited about this one  0:) :laugh:
Olivier

listener

As a Senior I have been muttering about the recycled programs the Vancouver Symphony has this year but in January I will bite and hear:
•   Jan. 11   Nicole Lizée  Behind the Sound of Music for Orchestra and Glitch
•   Unsuk Chin  Violin Concerto
•   Kaija Saariaho  D'om le vrai sens
•   Jan. 13   Bach, Kreisler, Kuntze-Krakau, Kurtag, and Yun
        Works for solo violin  (Viviane Hagner, violin)
•   Folk music from Hungary, Egypt, Argentina and Portugal
•   Jan. 14   Missy Mazzoli  Still Life with Avalanche (2008)
•   Nicole Lizée  The Spins (2016)  Epiphora (2016)
•   Olivier Messiaen, arr. Jennifer Butler  Le merle noir (1952, arr. 2013)
•   Vulc Tadeja  O SAPIENTIA (2016)
•   Roomful of Teeth  Quizassa (2012)
•   Slovene Folk Melody  Bog Daj, Bog Daj
•   Palestrina  Sicut Cervus (1594)
•   Part Uusberg  Sicut Cervus (2012) 
•   Merrill Garbus  Water Fountain (2014)
•   Katherina Gimon  Fire (2013)
•   Jan. 16   Thomas Adès  Luxury Suite from Powder Her Face - Suite No. 2
•   Max Richter  Recomposed: Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 23, 2019, 04:00:57 AM
Tomorrow at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester :

Jeffrey Mumford Within diffuse echoes ... softly spreading (18') (BBC commission: world premiere)
Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No.1 (19')
Mahler Symphony No.5 (68')

BBC Philharmonic - Joana Carneiro (conductor) - Denis Kozhukhin (piano)

Teeny bit excited about this one  0:) :laugh:

Very good concert last night. The Mendelssohn PC was really lively and very well received. The pianist offered us a gorgeous little encore from the Lieder ohne Worte.

The Mahler 5 was powerful and impressive to hear live for the first time. The first two movements are among my very favourite and they didn't disappoint, even if being taken a smidgen too fast for my liking. A large bunch of people clapped after those two movements to the embarrassed but smiling delight of the young female conductor who turned around, surprised.  The Adagio was tingle-inducing as you would hope and taken at a perfect pace (11'30+ approx). the conductor was very lively and expressive, with expansive movements. I thought initially that would distract me from the music but it turned out to add to the overall enjoyment by seeing clearly how the tempo is made for the various orchestra sections throughout. I tend to skip the finale of the M5 when I listen at home but seeing it live has converted me now. Deserved loud and long cheers and applause at the end.

The opening work was seriously atonal (no honking either unfortunately  8)) and not to my liking at all. The audience reception was let's say polite, at best. It didn't look like the orchestra enjoyed it either to be fair. Where is Schnittke when you need him ?!!  :laugh:  0:)

The concert was recorded for BBC Radio 3 to be broadcast at a later date, if you fancy catching it.

Olivier

Brian

Seeing Rimsky-Korsakov's "Le coq d'or" live from the Dallas Opera tonight. First time the Dallas Opera has staged it.

We're missing World Series Game 7 for this so it had better be worth it  ??? ??? ??? ???

Brian

My parents just saw Bartok's Third Piano Concerto live and here was my mom's review: "I yawned so much I thought my jaw was going to crack!"

Poor Bela can't win them all, I guess ;)

Papy Oli

Last night :

The Hallé / Bridgewater Hall
Alexander Joel - conductor
Kristóf Baráti - violin

Mahler - Blumine
Korngold - Violin Concerto
Mahler - Symphony No.1

The 4th mvt (Stürmisch bewegt) is the first Mahler movement I clicked with all those years ago so I was elated to hear the work live. It didn't disappoint. The funeral march
and its contrasts were a high point too.

The real surprise to me was the Korngold VC. I had read its praises here but waited until this concert to listen to it fully (I might have sampled some of it months ago but it didn't leave any memories). It was a very well received performance, and despite a couple of shrieking passages (2nd mvt ?), I have enjoyed this discovery, particularly the 3rd movement with its movie soundtrack feel. Definitely a composer I must explore sharpish.

The violinist played a gorgeous short encore, baroque era, felt like a Bach partita or sonata extract to me. I have emailed Bridgewater Hall to try and find out.

No more Mahler until next May with the 3rd symphony, again with the Hallé and Alice Coote.

Next, some lighter fare in over two weeks (to my girlfreind's delight  8)) :

The Four Seasons by Candlelight - Mozart Festival Orchestra  in full 18th Century costume | David Juritz violin/director | Keri Fuge soprano | Crispian Steele-Perkins trumpet

Charpentier    Prelude from the Te Deum
Handel           Let the Bright Seraphim, Rejoice greatly from Messiah, Lascia chio pianga from Rinaldo
Bach              Air on the G String
Clarke            Trumpet Suite
Corelli            Allegro and Pastoral from Christmas Concerto
Mozart           Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Vivaldi            The Four Seasons

Should be a nice change.
Olivier

André

Attended a nice chamber music concert tonight. The American String Quartet and guest violist Cynthia Phelps had programmed three substantial string quintets by Mozart (K593), Mendelssohn (op. 87) and Brahms (op.111).

The highlight of the evening for me was the slow movement of the Mendelssohn. In the program notes the quartet's violist Daniel Avshalomov wrote that if Mendelssohn wrote a more beautiful slow movement he'd like to hear it. It was indeed a very special moment.

Judith

Lovely concert yesterday with local orchestra
Airedale Symphony Orchestra

Dvorak. Carnival Overture
Grieg  Piano  Concerto
Sibelius. Symphony no 1

Soloist. James Kirby
Conductor. John Anderson

Was at Kings Hall in Ilkley🎹🎹🎼🎼

André

Yesterday, with the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, conducted by Hannu Lintu:

- Dvorak, cello concerto in b minor. Alban Gebhardt, soloist
- Lutoslawski, symphony no 4 (1992)
- Janacek, Sinfonietta.

This will certainly rank very high in my list of most memorable concerts I've attended. The Lutoslawski was the highlight of the concert for me. It's a huge, complex work one rarely - if ever - hears in concert. I was floored. The audience predictably went wild after the Sinfonietta. It was a great performance. Without seeing it, I would never have known that, alone among the 24 brass instruments, the tuba does NOT play during the final peroration. What a racket !

I was very impressed by conductor Hannu Lintu. This was very shrewd and daring programming. I wish we'd get that kind of audacity and substance more often.

jess

I've been doing some concerts with Andrew Davis again before he leaves our orchestra after next month's Messiah performances. Premiered a new piece by his son Ed called Fire of the Spirit which is basically Elgar/Parry anthem music with more diatonic clusters. It's good fun!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Jr5ZtA6DU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Wanderer

This Tuesday at the Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Die tote Stadt

Paul: Jonas Kaufmann
Marietta/Die Erscheinung Mariens: Marlis Petersen
Frank/Fritz: Andrzej Filonczyk
Brigitta: Jennifer Johnston
Juliette: Mirjam Mesak
Lucienne: Corinna Scheurle
Gaston/Victorin: Manuel Günther
Graf Albert: Dean Power

Kinderchor der Bayerischen Staatsoper
Chor der Bayerischen Staatsoper
Bayerisches Staatsorchester
Kirill Petrenko

jess

How did Kaufmann go? Whenever I've seen him it usually takes a number of performances for him to start sounding okay in any role.

Wanderer

jess

Wanderer

This coming week in Vienna:

Mozart: Don Giovanni

Don Giovanni    Ludovic Tézier
Donna Anna    Hanna-Elisabeth Müller
Don Ottavio    Josh Lovell
Donna Elvira    Federica Lombardi
Leporello    Peter Kellner

Conductor    Adam Fischer
Director    Jean-Louis Martinoty

Puccini: Tosca

Floria Tosca    Evgenia Muraveva
Mario Cavaradossi    Joseph Calleja
Baron Scarpia    Bryn Terfel

Conductor    Marco Armiliato
Director    Margarethe Wallmann

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 15, 2019, 09:01:39 AM

The Four Seasons by Candlelight - Mozart Festival Orchestra  in full 18th Century costume | David Juritz violin/director | Keri Fuge soprano | Crispian Steele-Perkins trumpet

Charpentier    Prelude from the Te Deum
Handel           Let the Bright Seraphim, Rejoice greatly from Messiah, Lascia chio pianga from Rinaldo
Bach              Air on the G String
Clarke            Trumpet Suite
Corelli            Allegro and Pastoral from Christmas Concerto
Mozart           Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Vivaldi            The Four Seasons

Should be a nice change.

That was last Sunday. Easy listening, bit gimmicky, but pleasant overall. The trumpet player and the soprano were very good, the orchestra and the solo violinist/director less so for me.

I often thought before that concerts could maybe do with some explanations or context between pieces, which could be helpful for a newcomer like me at the time. That was the case yesterday, interspersed with anecdotes and light hearted 'jokes', but when he talked between EACH movements of the 4 seasons, that got a bit much...and now I am not so sure anymore  >:D

And don't get me started on the audience members who were foot-tapping and humming loudly out of tempo.

God I am turning into one of those snobs in my old age  ??? :laugh:

ok, it was fun for what it was, nothing more nothing less.

Now gimme some more Mahler.

8)

here is a promotional video for that orchestra :

https://www.youtube.com/v/pZiz3hVPkWg
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 03, 2019, 03:01:22 AM
That was last Sunday. Easy listening, bit gimmicky, but pleasant overall. The trumpet player and the soprano were very good, the orchestra and the solo violinist/director less so for me.

I often thought before that concerts could maybe do with some explanations or context between pieces, which could be helpful for a newcomer like me at the time. That was the case yesterday, interspersed with anecdotes and light hearted 'jokes', but when he talked between EACH movements of the 4 seasons, that got a bit much...and now I am not so sure anymore  >:D

And don't get me started on the audience members who were foot-tapping and humming loudly out of tempo.

God I am turning into one of those snobs in my old age  ??? :laugh:

ok, it was fun for what it was, nothing more nothing less.

Now gimme some more Mahler.

8)

here is a promotional video for that orchestra :

https://www.youtube.com/v/pZiz3hVPkWg

The powdered wigs weren't a clear sign this concert was going to be gimmicky? ??? ;)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2019, 01:37:46 PM
The powdered wigs weren't a clear sign this concert was going to be gimmicky? ??? ;)

HIP is not what it used to be  ;D
Olivier

jess

bhodges

Tonight at the 92nd Street Y:

Orpheus
Carolin Widmann (violin)

Mozart, Overture, from Le nozze di Figaro, K.492
Weill, Violin Concerto, Op. 12
Mozart, Serenade for Winds No. 10 in B-flat Major, K. 361/370a "Gran Partita"

The Weill is the rarity; last heard it in 2001 by the Ebony Band (members of the Concertgebouw) with their concertmaster at the time, Alexander Kerr.

--Bruce