What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

NOT on line, but live - at long last : a concert from the Orchestre métropolitain in which Yannick Nézet-Séguin will conduct the Serenade in d minor for winds by Dvorak and the Symphony no 4 by Brahms. April 17, just in time for my birthday  :D

There were other offers (it's part of a Brahms series) but at 106$Can apiece that's all I could ask for a birtday present  ::)

bhodges

Quote from: André on March 18, 2021, 04:34:37 PM
NOT on line, but live - at long last : a concert from the Orchestre métropolitain in which Yannick Nézet-Séguin will conduct the Serenade in d minor for winds by Dvorak and the Symphony no 4 by Brahms. April 17, just in time for my birthday  :D

There were other offers (it's part of a Brahms series) but at 106$Can apiece that's all I could ask for a birtday present  ::)

Ooooh, that looks mighty tasty! And since I will likely forget, Happy Birthday, well in advance!  8)

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

A friend told me about some concerts that she has been listening to lately.  They're live-streamed by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society.  She listened to one on Wednesday which is still available to listen to (for 72 hours after the concert if o.k. with the artist).  It's of Richard Goode....looking forward to listening to it!   :)

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/richard-goode-piano-2021/

Note:  I noticed that they also have a separate pre-concert talk on the website.  Bach, Beethoven and Debussy.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 01, 2021, 11:42:53 AM
A friend told me about some concerts that she has been listening to lately.  They're live-streamed by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society.  She listened to one on Wednesday which is still available to listen to (for 72 hours after the concert if o.k. with the artist).  It's of Richard Goode....looking forward to listening to it!   :)

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/richard-goode-piano-2021/

Note:  I noticed that they also have a separate pre-concert talk on the website.  Bach, Beethoven and Debussy.  ;D

PD

(Missed this first time around.) Those PCMS concerts are excellent. And I love the venue (never been there in person). How was Goode? His Beethoven sonatas cycle was my first, and still a favorite. Haven't heard in awhile, but thought it was clean, clear, unfussy.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight at 7:00 pm (EDT), a livestream with the peerless mezzo-soprano Stephanie Blythe, and her beguiling "special guest," Blythely Oratonio (Blythe dressed as a man!). Program title: "When April Showers Come Your Way," songs about spring.

I've seen Blythe several times at Carnegie Hall (and at the Met) and love her beautiful, powerful voice. Also saw her in a complete show as "Blythely Oratonio," and she not only sang beautifully, but was hilarious. One of her early fantasies was to be a rock star, which she explored with this character.

Tix are $20 here: https://ourconcerts.live/spring

--Bruce

bhodges

On Friday, April 16 at 8:00pm on Harvard's Music Department YouTube Channel:

Miranda Cuckson, violin
Conor Hanick, piano

Rebecca Saunders, Duo for violin and piano (1996/1999)
Jeffrey Mumford, fleeting cycles of layered air for solo violin (2020, world premiere)
Dongryul Lee, A finite island in the infinite ocean (2020, world premiere)
I. Intonazione
II. A finite island in the infinite ocean
Natasha Barrett, Allure and Hoodwink for violin, piano, and electronics (2014)

https://frommfoundation.fas.harvard.edu/fromm-players-2021

--Bruce

Brian

Saturday, May 1

Mahler 1
roughly 50/50 split of Dallas Symphony members AND Met Opera Orchestra members flying in from NYC
Fabio Luisi

This is a benefit concert with proceeds going to a Dallas-based fund for musicians in need and the Met Orchestra's union fund for members. The Met performers have not been able to play any concerts in 13-14 months, so Luisi arranged this benefit to help them. And then he chose Mahler 1 as a very deliberate, "the band's back together!" celebration of the decline of covid and the renewed possibility of live performance.

To celebrate and help them out, I splurged and got us two tickets "front row center" - because of social distancing and to keep the audience and musicians separate, "front row" is now row M, or roughly row 15. Parties of two will be staggered throughout the hall, but if you watch the free streaming broadcast of this afterwards, we'll be right in the middle of the floor.  :)

Can't imagine a better way to go back to live music than the best seats in the house to a big, splashy, happy chunk of Mahler, to help out some special guests.
NYTimes article about this performance: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/arts/music/met-opera-orchestra-dallas.html

This will also be my girlfriend's first time seeing Mahler live, indeed her first time hearing any Mahler, and she really likes the big loud splashy stuff so she's gonna dig it.  :)

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2021, 08:12:46 AM
Saturday, May 1

Mahler 1
roughly 50/50 split of Dallas Symphony members AND Met Opera Orchestra members flying in from NYC
Fabio Luisi

This is a benefit concert with proceeds going to a Dallas-based fund for musicians in need and the Met Orchestra's union fund for members. The Met performers have not been able to play any concerts in 13-14 months, so Luisi arranged this benefit to help them. And then he chose Mahler 1 as a very deliberate, "the band's back together!" celebration of the decline of covid and the renewed possibility of live performance.

To celebrate and help them out, I splurged and got us two tickets "front row center" - because of social distancing and to keep the audience and musicians separate, "front row" is now row M, or roughly row 15. Parties of two will be staggered throughout the hall, but if you watch the free streaming broadcast of this afterwards, we'll be right in the middle of the floor.  :)

Can't imagine a better way to go back to live music than the best seats in the house to a big, splashy, happy chunk of Mahler, to help out some special guests.
NYTimes article about this performance: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/arts/music/met-opera-orchestra-dallas.html

This will also be my girlfriend's first time seeing Mahler live, indeed her first time hearing any Mahler, and she really likes the big loud splashy stuff so she's gonna dig it.  :)

Oh Brian, this is so cool. I got a press release about this concert, and wondered if anyone I know would be attending. So happy that someone is throwing a bone to the MET Orchestra musicians, since the Met itself seems AWOL (cough, cough). (Rant: E.g., why haven't they instituted chamber music concerts, which Levine used to do? They could have had small groups in musicians' homes, some of which are no doubt perfect for chamber music, and charged a reasonable fee for streaming. During the pandemic, others have done this with success; I'm not impressed that the company didn't at least give it a try. /rant)

Anyway, through the grapevine I hear that many of the MET musicians admire Luisi and like working with him -- he was quite good during his brief tenure in NYC -- so I'm doubly happy that he made this effort to reach out to them. (And not to ignore the DSO contributions, as well.) The whole thing sounds spectacular and fun. I'll be looking forward to watching it at some point, and now have a new, big TV to make the experience even better. Hope you both have a great time!

--Bruce

bhodges

On Friday, this livestream with Daniel Harding and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Someone on YouTube is already complaining about the "dour programme...not exactly uplifting." I cannot agree. ;D

Stravinsky: Apollon Musagète
Messiaen: Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

Will be available for a week, following the live performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kdubFfr7ZI

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on April 28, 2021, 04:59:42 AM
On Friday, this livestream with Daniel Harding and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Someone on YouTube is already complaining about the "dour programme...not exactly uplifting." I cannot agree. ;D

Will be available for a week, following the live performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kdubFfr7ZI

--Bruce

This is a nice program. Nothing 'dour' about it at all.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Brewski on April 28, 2021, 04:59:42 AM

Is the resurrection of the dead not uplifting by definition Bruce? :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 28, 2021, 06:59:25 AM

I think the only thing 'dour' is the person who called the program dour. I guess cheery, sunlit optimism is the only thing this person knows. They'd fit right in as a character on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Maybe they could play the jovial donkey who loves daffodils. :P

bhodges

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2021, 06:05:32 AM
This is a nice program. Nothing 'dour' about it at all.

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 28, 2021, 06:59:25 AM

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2021, 09:49:53 AM
I think the only thing 'dour' is the person who called the program dour. I guess cheery, sunlit optimism is the only thing this person knows. They'd fit right in as a character on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Maybe they could play the jovial donkey who loves daffodils. :P

Yes, John, "dour" might be the last word I would think of here. Maybe "sober" or "solemn," especially the Stravinsky, but dour has such an unpleasant connotation, and I see nothing but pleasure in this program. No, there's no Bizet Symphony in C, or some high-spirited Offenbach, but still.

And also, yes, to Steve's point: You would think so!  8)

--Bruce

bhodges

Just found out about this concert on Marquee TV (new to me) with Gianandrea Noseda and the London Symphony Orchestra in this program, apparently free for at least a week (with registration). The whole menu is new to me, but the Rota looks particularly interesting.

Strauss - Duett-Concertino for Clarinet and Bassoon
Liszt - Symphonic Poem No 4, 'Orpheus'
Rota - Symphony No 3

https://twitter.com/MarqueeArtsTV/status/1390350651557761024?s=20

--Bruce

GioCar

This will be a great way to celebrate the return of live concerts:

Milan Conservatory - Verdi hall

May 16 at 7pm

Arnold Schönberg
Drei Klavierstücke op. 11 (1909)
Sechs kleine Klavierstücke op. 19 (1911)

Luigi Nono
.....sofferte onde serene... (1976)
for piano and magnetic tape*

Robert Schumann
Arabeske C-Dur, op. 18 (1839)
Fantasia C-Dur, op. 17 (1836-38, 1839)

Maurizio Pollini, piano
*André Richard, sound director

Can't wait to hear Pollini playing the Nono, one of my favorite pieces. I have never had the opportunity to hear him playing it live.

ritter

Quote from: GioCar on May 08, 2021, 11:03:19 PM

May 16 at 7pm

Arnold Schönberg

Luigi Nono

Robert Schumann

Maurizio Pollini, piano

Can't wait to hear Pollini playing the Nono, one of my favorite pieces. I have never had the opportunity to hear him playing it live.
Wow!! That is bound to be a real experience, Gio. Enjoy!

GioCar

bhodges

Quote from: GioCar on May 08, 2021, 11:03:19 PM

May 16 at 7pm

Arnold Schönberg

Luigi Nono

Robert Schumann

Maurizio Pollini, piano

Wow, what a treat, under any circumstances. I didn't think Pollini was playing the Nono anymore. Though I haven't heard him live in a few years, his appearances at Carnegie Hall have mostly been "tried and true," e.g., Beethoven. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. I would hear him in anything.)

--Bruce

bhodges

In two days, looking forward to a new piece by Oscar Bettison, La Arqueología del Neón (2021), played by the formidable Talea Ensemble. This will be livestreamed, but the group will also perform it live in August at the TIME:SPANS Festival in New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7bR5NNnSY

--Bruce

bhodges

Today at 5:00 pm (EDT), a livestreamed recital by the great Augustin Hadelich, the latest in The Atterbury House Sessions, produced by Lara St John. Interviewing him several times for The Strad, I have been a bit agog at his story, his intelligence, and his insights. And in addition to his formidable artistry, he's a really nice guy, too.

The recital is about an hour, with works by Telemann, Paganini, and Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIo2ndpDuo

--Bruce