What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on January 29, 2008, 07:54:56 AM
I heard this last Saturday:

eight blackbird
Strange Imaginary Remix

Dennis DeSantis - strange imaginary remix
DeSantis - Powerless
David M. Gordon - Friction Systems
Gordon Fitzell- evanescence
Steve Mackey - Indigenous Instruments
Radiohead - Dollar and Cents (arr. Cliff Colnot)

Fun and games. The group is amazing. DeSantis was doing some electronic effects throughout all the works, which worked well for his own stuff and the Fitzell, but less so with the Mackey and Gordon, which lost a lot of edge and detail.

I am a huge fan of eighth blackbird.  It is somewhat amazing to me that they have made a career, as a sextet doing nothing but contemporary music, but hearing is believing.  Their CD, strange imaginary animals, is terrific if you want to revisit some of the works on that program. 

That Boulez concert looks mighty tasty, too.

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on January 29, 2008, 08:13:29 AM
Their CD, strange imaginary animals, is terrific if you want to revisit some of the works on that program. 

I have that already, of course.  ;)

bhodges

Tonight, hearing this concert of Elliott Carter, the third concert in the Focus! festival.  The great thing is, they're repeating a piece, doing the Asko Concerto twice.  I wish people would consider doing this more often, especially with unfamiliar works.

--Bruce

Three Poems of Robert Frost (1980)
David McFerrin, baritone

Quintet for Piano and winds (1991)
Alexandra Lambertson, oboe; Bryan Conger, clarinet; Brigette Bencoe, French horn; Joshua Firer, bassoon; Jacek Mysinski, piano

Asko Concerto (2000)

Tempo e tempi (1999)
Jennifer Zetlan, soprano; Jessica Pearlman, oboe and English horn; David Fulmer, violin; Hannah Sloane, Cello

Asko Concerto (repeat performance)

Drasko

Quote from: O Mensch on January 29, 2008, 07:54:56 AM
Tell us what you think of Anderszewski. I was unimpressed with him in Chicago a few weeks ago in LvB PC 1.

Mixed impressions really. Enjoyed the Szymanowski very much but that is new piece to me so couldn't tell to what extent it is due to the music itself an to what extent to his playing. Was mostly ambivalent to Bach except for both Sarabandes which sounded slow, portentous and very much non-vocal to me.

Novi

Piano recitals are a bit thin on the ground here, but next Wednesday, I'm heading over to Glasgow to hear Brendel, probably for the last time, given his retirement.

Haydn - Variations in F minor, Hob.XVII/6
   Mozart - Piano Sonata in F major, K.533/K.494
   Beethoven - Piano Sonata in E flat major "quasi una fantasia", Op.27 No.1
   Schubert - Piano Sonata in B flat major, D960

I get the impression that some people find him a boring pianist, but after hearing him live last year (similar repertoire as the above), I disagree. I liked his poise and I remember a beautiful op. 110 from the last concert, although I personally prefer the Schubert Impromptus to be a little more extroverted.

Looking forward to this one :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Haffner

We don't get much for great Symphonic or Chamber music out here so:

Heaven and Hell
Van Halen

toledobass

Here's one that I've got on my calendar and for once, and thankfully, I have the night off!!!!!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM 
Severance Hall

JANACEK & SCHOENBERG

The Cleveland Orchestra
Pierre Boulez, conductor
Janácek: Sinfonietta
Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande, Symphonic Poem

Allan

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on February 01, 2008, 10:00:08 AM
Here's one that I've got on my calendar and for once, and thankfully, I have the night off!!!!!

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM 
Severance Hall

JANACEK & SCHOENBERG

The Cleveland Orchestra
Pierre Boulez, conductor
Janácek: Sinfonietta
Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande, Symphonic Poem

Allan

:o  :o  :o  Wow, that looks incredible.  Please gush voluminously, if appropriate, afterward.  ;D

--Bruce

toledobass

Come on up Bruce, bring a warm jacket though.  I'll supply the cigars and booze afterwards.

Allan

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on February 01, 2008, 10:09:50 AM
Come on up Bruce, bring a warm jacket though.  I'll supply the cigars and booze afterwards.

Allan

You make a highly tempting offer, Mr. T. Bass.  ;D  Alas, that night I'm supposed to hear Messiaen's Turangalîla at Carnegie, with David Robertson, St. Louis and pianist Nicolas Hodges.

Don't you wish sometimes that you could be like, ten different people?

--Bruce

toledobass

Quote from: bhodges on February 01, 2008, 10:18:00 AM
You make a highly tempting offer, Mr. T. Bass.  ;D  Alas, that night I'm supposed to hear Messiaen's Turangalîla at Carnegie, with David Robertson, St. Louis and pianist Nicolas Hodges.

Don't you wish sometimes that you could be like, ten different people?

--Bruce

Sheeeeit meng,  that's not a shabby line up either.  Have a great time.  Have you heard the Messaien live before?  I missed Cleve doing it due to work and I really hate that I didn't get to see it.

Allan

Haffner

Quote from: toledobass on February 01, 2008, 10:24:44 AM
Sheeeeit meng,  that's not a shabby line up either. 
Allan

Choo got eet, maing! I'm wi'cha! ;D

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on February 01, 2008, 10:24:44 AM
Sheeeeit meng,  that's not a shabby line up either.  Have a great time.  Have you heard the Messaien live before?  I missed Cleve doing it due to work and I really hate that I didn't get to see it.

Allan

Have heard it once, just a couple of years ago, at Carnegie in a great performance with Eschenbach and Philadelphia.  His inspired programming idea: on the first half, he placed traditional Balinese gamelan music, by an ensemble from Swarthmore College.  It sort of "retuned your ears" for the Messiaen after intermission.  I still think it's one of the most creative concerts I've been to.

[Just saw Haffner's reply...and chuckling...]

--Bruce

bassio

Quote from: Novitiate on February 01, 2008, 08:02:20 AM
Piano recitals are a bit thin on the ground here, but next Wednesday, I'm heading over to Glasgow to hear Brendel, probably for the last time, given his retirement.

Haydn - Variations in F minor, Hob.XVII/6
   Mozart - Piano Sonata in F major, K.533/K.494
   Beethoven - Piano Sonata in E flat major "quasi una fantasia", Op.27 No.1
   Schubert - Piano Sonata in B flat major, D960

I get the impression that some people find him a boring pianist, but after hearing him live last year (similar repertoire as the above), I disagree. I liked his poise and I remember a beautiful op. 110 from the last concert, although I personally prefer the Schubert Impromptus to be a little more extroverted.

Looking forward to this one :).

Hey Novitiate, Brendel is one of my favorite artists - can you update us on the info please? Where, when?
Looking forward to your impressions.

I hope you don't miss it.  ;)

bhodges

Quote from: bhodges on December 20, 2007, 02:06:49 PM
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam
Mariss Jansons, Conductor

Monday, February 4 at 8:00 p.m.
CLAUDE DEBUSSY La mer
HECTOR BERLIOZ Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14

Well this was quite marvelous.  I've heard the Debussy two or three times in the last year or so (including Levine and Boston a few weeks ago) but when it's played like this, I could listen to it over and over.  Ditto for the Berlioz, which had some real fire in the coloring, helped by the group's famous woodwind section, and Jansons's beautiful shading of dynamic levels.  (NB: I confess I'm not a huge fan of the piece.)

We also got two encores, both played with as much energy and finesse as you could want:

GRIEG  "Solveig's Song" from Peer Gynt 
BERLIOZ  "Marche Hongroise" from La damnation de Faust

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on February 05, 2008, 08:30:32 AM
Ditto for the Berlioz, which had some real fire in the coloring, helped by the group's famous woodwind section, and Jansons's beautiful shading of dynamic levels.  (NB: I confess I'm not a huge fan of the piece.)

Damn. Wish I could have heard this. Two friends of mine reported from the Boston concert that it was amazing. Jansons/RCO is my top recommendation in modern sound for the fantastique. Jansons loves that piece and it shows.

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on February 05, 2008, 09:27:50 AM
Damn. Wish I could have heard this. Two friends of mine reported from the Boston concert that it was amazing. Jansons/RCO is my top recommendation in modern sound for the fantastique. Jansons loves that piece and it shows.

His might have been the most persuasive version I've heard.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the orchestra's fantastic percussion section which also helped create the otherworldly atmosphere.  The tuned tympani in the third movement...just outstanding, drenched with menace, and the offstage gongs, with a great timbre and also just so deftly played: a true mezzo-forte the first time they appear, piano the second--expert.

Very much looking forward to the Ketting De aankomst tonight...

--Bruce

Domenico

Tonight, as part of the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society series, a recital by Christian Zacharias.

Can't wait!

bhodges

I just heard Zacharias a few weeks ago with Orpheus, in the Schumann Piano Concerto--excellent.  He was clearly having a great time playing with them.

--Bruce