What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

On Thursday at 6:00 pm (EDT), this great-looking concert by the Junction Trio, whom I've heard before. "Making its PCMS debut, JCT is composed of violinist Stefan Jackiw, recognized for combining poetry and purity with an impeccable technique; pianist Conrad Tao, an internationally known pianist and composer; and cellist Jay Campbell, a member of the renowned JACK Quartet."

The livestream is free, available below or on the PCMS YouTube channel.

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/junction-trio/

Zorn: Ghosts, Op. 70
Ives: Piano Trio
Ravel: Piano Trio in A Minor

--Bruce

mabuse

Being a fan of the JACK quartet, I'm curious to hear the Junction Trio. Thanks for the report, Bruce  ;)

This may not be the right topic because it is an old concert from 2015, but I still point out that currently it is possible to listen to this:
https://www.wqed.org/fm/podcasts/pittsburgh-symphony-radio/pittsburgh-symphony-radio-2020-2021-season-program-5-part-1-0
https://www.wqed.org/fm/podcasts/pittsburgh-symphony-radio/pittsburgh-symphony-radio-2020-2021-season-program-5-part-2-0

James Ehnes and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vänskä perform Jean Sibelius:
- Finlandia
- Violin Concerto
- Symphony n° 2

bhodges

Quote from: mabuse on May 19, 2021, 06:29:50 AM
This may not be the right topic because it is an old concert from 2015, but I still point out that currently it is possible to listen to this:
https://www.wqed.org/fm/podcasts/pittsburgh-symphony-radio/pittsburgh-symphony-radio-2020-2021-season-program-5-part-1-0
https://www.wqed.org/fm/podcasts/pittsburgh-symphony-radio/pittsburgh-symphony-radio-2020-2021-season-program-5-part-2-0

James Ehnes and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vänskä perform Jean Sibelius:
- Finlandia
- Violin Concerto
- Symphony n° 2

And thanks for this! Perfectly fine to mention a concert still available, especially such a tasty one. (Feel free to post about it in the Sibelius thread, too, if you like.)

The Pittsburgh ensemble has really surged forward with Manfred Honeck (some incredible recordings to show for it, too) and I'm a big fan of Vänskä, who has been working wonders in Minneapolis. Add Ehnes to the mix, and this all looks great. Thanks so much.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on May 19, 2021, 05:08:56 AM
On Thursday at 6:00 pm (EDT), this great-looking concert by the Junction Trio, whom I've heard before. "Making its PCMS debut, JCT is composed of violinist Stefan Jackiw, recognized for combining poetry and purity with an impeccable technique; pianist Conrad Tao, an internationally known pianist and composer; and cellist Jay Campbell, a member of the renowned JACK Quartet."

The livestream is free, available below or on the PCMS YouTube channel.

https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/junction-trio/

Zorn: Ghosts, Op. 70
Ives: Piano Trio
Ravel: Piano Trio in A Minor

--Bruce

Hmmm...I didn't know that Zorn has started to use or has used opus numbers. I think his classical works are rather underrated. He's more well-known in the jazz world, but people seem to forget that his classical pieces are actually really good and writes fluently in different styles. I remember asking one of the people that work for his record label Tzadik whether Zorn actually slept or not and they just chuckled. The guy is incredibly prolific and he's just warming up --- he's 67 yrs. old.

bhodges

And looking ahead to next week, the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society has what looks to be another winner: the Jasper Quartet (excellent) with soprano Sarah Shafer, in a program of works by female composers. I can vouch for Fung, Shaw, and Higdon -- Devaux and Washington will be new to me.

Wednesday, May 26
https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/jasper-quartet-shafer/

Fung: Quartet No. 1
Devaux: Dust
Washington: Middleground
Shaw: By & By (w/ Shafer)
Higdon: In the Shadow of Sirius (w/ Shafer)

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2021, 06:54:04 AM
Hmmm...I didn't know that Zorn has started to use or has used opus numbers. I think his classical works are rather underrated. He's more well-known in the jazz world, but people seem to forget that his classical pieces are actually really good and writes fluently in different styles. I remember asking one of the people that work for his record label Tzadik whether Zorn actually slept or not and they just chuckled. The guy is incredibly prolific and he's just warming up --- he's 67 yrs. old.

His classical works are quite interesting, and often very high-voltage (at least, the ones I've heard). And yes, quite prolific. For awhile in NYC, it seemed like every other new music concert would have a Zorn piece.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on May 19, 2021, 06:56:38 AM
His classical works are quite interesting, and often very high-voltage (at least, the ones I've heard). And yes, quite prolific. For awhile in NYC, it seemed like every other new music concert would have a Zorn piece.

--Bruce

That's excellent. He needs more international exposure. Yes, many of his works are rather energetic, but I'd also add raw and abrasive, but he has composed some beautiful music, too like Kol Nidre (arranged for both SQ and string orchestra) and Duras: Duchamp, which are two exquisitely gorgeous works.

bhodges

And one more concert, also tomorrow, by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra led by Sir James MacMillan, with percussionist Colin Currie. Again, the livestream is free and will be archived afterward. Program looks quite unusual!

I have to add: Though there's nothing like hearing live music in person, in a space, with other people, quarantine has produced a flood of livestreamed events, most of which would not otherwise be available to most of us. A bit of a silver lining, which I hope will continue after things get back to normal.

20 May, 7:30 pm
MacMillan: Ein Lämplein verlosch (Scottish Premiere)
Sibelius: The Tempest, Suite II
Rautavaara: Percussion Concerto 'Incantations' (Scottish Premiere)

https://www.sco.org.uk/events/macmillan-sibelius-rautavaara

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on May 19, 2021, 07:11:13 AM
And one more concert, also tomorrow, by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra led by Sir James MacMillan, with percussionist Colin Currie. Again, the livestream is free and will be archived afterward. Program looks quite unusual!

I have to add: Though there's nothing like hearing live music in person, in a space, with other people, quarantine has produced a flood of livestreamed events, most of which would not otherwise be available to most of us. A bit of a silver lining, which I hope will continue after things get back to normal.

20 May, 7:30 pm
MacMillan: Ein Lämplein verlosch (Scottish Premiere)
Sibelius: The Tempest, Suite II
Rautavaara: Percussion Concerto 'Incantations' (Scottish Premiere)

https://www.sco.org.uk/events/macmillan-sibelius-rautavaara

--Bruce
Crumbs!  Do you still know whether or not it is available to watch?  And you had mentioned somewhere else about a Bartok concert this weekend?

I'm not quite certain how one can watch this?  Here's some info:

Midori, violin
Ieva Jokubaviciute, piano

FRIDAY, MAY 28, 2021 - 6:00 PM
American Philosophical Society

In-person tickets for this event are sold-out. Please join us via livestream or call 215-569-8080 to join the waiting list.

About This Performance

A visionary artist, activist, and educator whose unique career has transcended traditional boundaries, Midori has transfixed audiences around the world for over 35 years. Her first PCMS recital in a decade also features Lithuanian pianist Ieva Jokubaviciute in an intimate program of works by Dvořák, Debussy, and Brahms.

Note: Midori and Ieva Jokubaviciute perform in place of Alina Ibragimova and Cédric Tiberghien. Tickets to the Ibragimova/Tiberghien recital will gain you entrance to the program with Midori/Jokubaviciute.

Dvořák: Sonatina in G Major, Op. 100
Debussy: Violin Sonata
Brahms: Violin Sonata in D Minor, Op. 108

Note:  This is listed on the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society's webpage.  They had been allowing people to view the concerts either for free or for donations (included suggested).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 26, 2021, 02:24:38 PM
Crumbs!  Do you still know whether or not it is available to watch?  And you had mentioned somewhere else about a Bartok concert this weekend?

I'm not quite certain how one can watch this?  Here's some info:

Midori, violin
Ieva Jokubaviciute, piano

FRIDAY, MAY 28, 2021 - 6:00 PM
American Philosophical Society

In-person tickets for this event are sold-out. Please join us via livestream or call 215-569-8080 to join the waiting list.

About This Performance

A visionary artist, activist, and educator whose unique career has transcended traditional boundaries, Midori has transfixed audiences around the world for over 35 years. Her first PCMS recital in a decade also features Lithuanian pianist Ieva Jokubaviciute in an intimate program of works by Dvořák, Debussy, and Brahms.

Note: Midori and Ieva Jokubaviciute perform in place of Alina Ibragimova and Cédric Tiberghien. Tickets to the Ibragimova/Tiberghien recital will gain you entrance to the program with Midori/Jokubaviciute.

Dvořák: Sonatina in G Major, Op. 100
Debussy: Violin Sonata
Brahms: Violin Sonata in D Minor, Op. 108

Note:  This is listed on the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society's webpage.  They had been allowing people to view the concerts either for free or for donations (included suggested).

PD

Good news: the Scottish Chamber Orchestra concert (about 1 hour) is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNvdkKo698

And the Tesla Quartet's Bartok No. 4 is also there, live on Saturday, but likely available after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcXEVrdaB4

And the PCMS concert will be available on their site (below). Right now they have yesterday's concert still available (which was terrific).
https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/livestreams/

Really, so much music available! :o A nice "problem" to have.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on May 27, 2021, 09:19:00 AM
Good news: the Scottish Chamber Orchestra concert (about 1 hour) is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNvdkKo698

And the Tesla Quartet's Bartok No. 4 is also there, live on Saturday, but likely available after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcXEVrdaB4

And the PCMS concert will be available on their site (below). Right now they have yesterday's concert still available (which was terrific).
https://www.pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/livestreams/

Really, so much music available! :o A nice "problem" to have.

--Bruce
Thank you!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Tomorrow night, a livestream from the Minnesota Orchestra. Last night, the NY Philharmonic did the Saint-Georges at an outdoor concert; I'd never heard the piece before, and at about 11 minutes, it's charming.

https://minnesotaorchestra.org/tickets/calendar/program-notes/2477-radiance-and-light-june-11-12

Minnesota Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä, conductor
Orion Weiss, piano

Chevalier de Saint-Georges: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Opus 11, No. 2
Chopin: Concerto No. 2 in F minor for Piano and Orchestra, Opus 21
Haydn: Symphony No. 94 in G major, Surprise

--Bruce

Wanderer

The last live concert I attended was back in October. Now that lockdown is over, some live music in an iconic venue before leaving Athens for the summer.

Thu., 24 June 2021
Odeon of Herodes Atticus

GIORGOS KOUMENDAKIS
(b.1959)
The Pedal Tone for a Child

SERGEI RACHMANINOV
(1873–1943)
Piano concerto no. 2 in C minor, op. 18

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH
(1906–1975)
Symphony No. 9 in E-flat major, Op. 70

Athens State Orchestra
SOLOIST
Daniil Trifonov, piano
CONDUCTOR
Lukas Karytinos

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Wanderer on June 10, 2021, 10:30:24 PM
The last live concert I attended was back in October. Now that lockdown is over, some live music in an iconic venue before leaving Athens for the summer.

Thu., 24 June 2021
Odeon of Herodes Atticus

GIORGOS KOUMENDAKIS
(b.1959)
The Pedal Tone for a Child

SERGEI RACHMANINOV
(1873–1943)
Piano concerto no. 2 in C minor, op. 18

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH
(1906–1975)
Symphony No. 9 in E-flat major, Op. 70

Athens State Orchestra
SOLOIST
Daniil Trifonov, piano
CONDUCTOR
Lukas Karytinos
Congrats!  Hope that you enjoy it!

Leaving the hot city for the summer?

Currently watching one of your compatriots playing at RG.  Have you been following at all?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

I'm always happy to find a new concert with James Ehnes  8)

From the NDR in Hannover, June 3rd 2021 :

James Ehnes and the NDR Radiophilharmonie (Dir. : Felix Mildenberger)

Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy :
Violin Concerto in E minor op. 64
Symphony No. 4 in A major op. 90 "Italian"

https://www.ndr.de/kultur/sendungen/ndr_radiophilharmonie/Nachwuchstalent-Mildenberger-springt-fuer-Sndergard-ein,sendung1146746.html

ritter

Just bought tickets for my daughter (who's spending some days in Madrid—she lives in London) and me for the rare opportunity to see Ernst Krenek's 1929 song cycle Reisebuch aus den Österreichischen Alpen (Journey Through the Austrian Alps), performed tomorrow at the Teatro de la Zarzuela by baritone Florian Boesch and pianist Malcolm Martineau.

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on June 13, 2021, 09:55:47 AM
Just bought tickets for my daughter (who's spending some days in Madrid—she lives in London) and me for the rare opportunity to see Ernst Krenek's 1929 song cycle Reisebuch aus den Österreichischen Alpen (Journey Through the Austrian Alps), performed tomorrow at the Teatro de la Zarzuela by baritone Florian Boesch and pianist Malcolm Martineau.

Hoping this was as great as it sounds. I've never even seen the Krenek on a concert program! And the two artists could hardly be bettered. Please report, if you like, with comments.

--Bruce

Wanderer

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 11, 2021, 07:59:54 AM
Congrats!  Hope that you enjoy it!

Thanks! The mixture of works seems quite interesting. And it will be the first time I will see Trifonov perform live. Also curious to see what encores he'll play, if any.

To get a sense of the venue, here are some photos from yesterday's inaugural Athens Festival concert at the Herodeion.

Leaving the hot city for the summer?

As far as I'm concerned, swimming in the sea is one of the few things that make summer worth the trouble. I usually spend most of it (and sometimes September) in my hometown in western Peloponnese. We have exquisite sandy beaches and beguiling sunsets. Not too shabby for Wanderer.  :)

Currently watching one of your compatriots playing at RG.  Have you been following at all?

I'm afraid I haven't been watching any of it. I understand that he went to the finals and that there was a very intense final game.

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on June 14, 2021, 10:25:06 AM
Hoping this was as great as it sounds. I've never even seen the Krenek on a concert program! And the two artists could hardly be bettered. Please report, if you like, with comments.

--Bruce
Well, last night's recital of Florian Boesch and Malcolm Martineau performing Krenek's Reisebuch was certainly very enjoyable, not least as it was the first concert I attended in over a year. The work itself is wonderful, a sort of 20th century Die schöne Müllerin or (to a lesser extent), Winterreise--Boesch had sung the latter in Madrid just in January this year. The texts by the composer himself sound as pertinent today as when they were written almost a century ago, and show a deep but not uncritical love to his home country.  It's a very coherent but also varied cycle, and the slightly less that 60 minutes it takes to perform went by in a flash. The work is very 1920s Krenek: kind of late romantic (or neo-Shubertian), but also unmistakably modern, and the piano part is remarkable.

I think I had never heard Boesch before (either live or on record). Perhaps he wasn't in the best voice last night (he had to clear his throat on several occasions between songs, and at some point sounded slightly hoarse), but the performance perhaps gained from the rustic and less "cultured" approach, and the baritone very eloquently and intelligently "acted out" some of the themes he was singing (but never with overemphasis or bad taste). Malcolm Martineau was superb at the keyboard (and it was clear why he's so highly regarded as an accompanist).

I knew Krenek's Reisebuch from the recording by Wolfgang Holzmair (which has been ion my collection since it was first released more than 20 yaers ago), but heard live in concert, the work makes a stronger impression.

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on June 15, 2021, 06:41:26 AM
Well, last night's recital of Florian Boesch and Malcolm Martineau performing Krenek's Reisebuch was certainly very enjoyable, not least as it was the first concert I attended in over a year. The work itself is wonderful, a sort of 20th century Die schöne Müllerin or (to a lesser extent), Winterreise--Boesch had sung the latter in Madrid just in January this year. The texts by the composer himself sound as pertinent today as when they were written almost a century ago, and show a deep but not uncritical love to his home country.  It's a very coherent but also varied cycle, and the slightly less that 60 minutes it takes to perform went by in a flash. The work is very 1920s Krenek: kind of late romantic (or neo-Shubertian), but also unmistakably modern, and the piano part is remarkable.

I think I had never heard Boesch before (either live or on record). Perhaps he wasn't in the best voice last night (he had to clear his throat on several occasions between songs, and at some point sounded slightly hoarse), but the performance perhaps gained from the rustic and less "cultured" approach, and the baritone very eloquently and intelligently "acted out" some of the themes he was singing (but never with overemphasis or bad taste). Malcolm Martineau was superb at the keyboard (and it was clear why he's so highly regarded as an accompanist).

I knew Krenek's Reisebuch from the recording by Wolfgang Holzmair (which has been ion my collection since it was first released more than 20 yaers ago), but heard live in concert, the work makes a stronger impression.

Thanks so much. This sounds quite interesting. The only Krenek work I have heard live was Lamentatio Jeremiae prophetae (1941-42), an hour of austere a cappella singing that had a stark appeal (obviously written a few years after Reisebuch).

And I've never heard Boesch live, either, though I have heard Martineau, who has worked with many great singers. I may seek out that Holzmair recording.

--Bruce