What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

For the first time, the Moritzburg Festival for Chamber Music (held near Dresden) will be livestreaming its offerings, 12 concerts featuring some outstanding musicians. The festival will appear on Dreamstage, the platform founded by cellist Jan Vogler last year, intended to offer an experience as close to "live" as possible. (Past Dreamstage concerts have not been archived, like...well...like most live concerts!)

Tickets are a very reasonable $10 at the link below, and all events start at 2:00 PM (EDT).

https://dreamstage.live/event/moritzburg-festival-2021

--Bruce

Wanderer

In addition to the Kaufmann concert at the Herodeion, today brought tickets for three anticipated late September piano recitals at the Megaron. This year's rentrée is looking particularly musical (fingers crossed, of course, covid-wise).

Evgeny Kissin
Friday 24.09.2021
Johann Sebastian Bach / Karl Tausig: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Adagio in b minor, K.540
Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Sonata no 31 in A flat major, opus 110
Frédéric Chopin: 7 Mazurkas (opus 7 no 1, opus 24 no 1 & 2, opus 30 no 1 & 2, opus 33 no 3 & 4)
Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise Brillante Op.22

Khatia Buniatishvili
Sunday 26.09.2021
Satie Gymnopédie N. 1
Chopin prelude Op. 28 N. 4
Chopin scherzo N. 3
Bach Air on the G String
Schubert impromptu N. 3 Op. 90
Schubert-Liszt Ständchen
Chopin Polonaise en la bémol majeure, Op. 53
Chopin mazurka Op. 17 N. 4
Couperin Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Bach-Liszt Prélude et fugue en la mineur
Liszt Consolation N. 3
Liszt Rhapsody hongroise N. 2

Ivo Pogorelich
Thursday 30.09.2021
Frédéric Chopin
Barcarolle in F-sharp major, Opus 60
Piano Sonata in B minor, Οpus 58
Fantaisie, Οpus 49
Berceuse in D- flat major, Opus 57
Polonaise-fantaisie in A-flat major Opus 61

JBS

Florida Grand Opera is planning a production of Previn's Streetcar Named Desire in early 2022.   I figure I had best see it, because the odds of another production in South Florida in my lifetime are minimal.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bhodges

Tonight, my first live, in-person concert in about 16 months, and it was a good one: the TIME:SPANS Festival, with the Talea Ensemble and soprano Tony Arnold:

Catherine Lamb
parallaxis forma, 2016
for voice and ensemble
with Tony Arnold, soprano

Sarah Hennies
Clock Dies, 2021*
* World premiere
Commissioned by The Earle Brown Music Foundation Charitable Trust

Oscar Bettison
La Arqueología del Neón, 2021*
* world premiere

Lamb's work is slow-moving, ethereal, reverent -- not dissimilar to John Luther Adams. Hennies' premiere had some fascinating clock sounds, produced by unorthodox combinations of instruments. And Bettison's piece was the most aggressive and exuberant, with some South American currents running here and there.

Mostly it was just a great evening to be back with real people, hearing live music. I hope it lasts for awhile.

--Bruce

bhodges

Tonight, the fantastic cellist Seth Parker Woods at the TIME:SPANS festival. In the last few years, Woods received some well-deserved publicity for Iced Bodies, performed on a cello made of ice, which gradually melted as the piece progressed.

Fredrick Gifford: Difficult Grace, 2019
Monty Adkins: Winter Tendrils, 2014/2020
Nathalie Joachim: The Race: 1915, 2019
George E. Lewis: Not Alone, 2014-15
Ryan Carter: Default Mode Network, 2019
Freida Abtan: My Heart Is a River, 2020*
Pierre Alexandre Tremblay: asinglewordisnotenough 3 [invariant], 2015

https://timespans.org/concert/seth-parker-woods-pierre-alexandre-tremblay/
https://sethparkerwoods.com/Ice-Bodies

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Bruce,

You mean that you're actually hanging around real human beings?  And those from outside of 'your tribe'?!  :o

Brave man!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 26, 2021, 10:42:43 AM
Bruce,

You mean that you're actually hanging around real human beings?  And those from outside of 'your tribe'?!  :o

Brave man!  :)

PD

I know, right? The two concerts this week are my first live, in-person events in 16 months. The venue (the DiMenna Center in NYC) is requiring all attendees to show vaccination proof at the entrance, and to wear masks throughout the performance. (Also, attendance is limited to around 100 people, with all chairs spaced apart.)

So though there are no guarantees, I feel pretty safe. But it does feel a little weird, being around actual humans again.

--Bruce

bhodges

On 9 September, the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra will livestream its opening night concert, with pianist Yuja Wang and conductor Santtu-Matias Rouvali. Concert appears to be free, at the link below.

Nielsen: Saga-Drøm
Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
Sibelius Symphony No 3

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Santtu-Matias Rouvali, conductor
Yuja Wang, piano

https://www.gso.se/en/gsoplay/video/season-opening-yuja-wang/

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on August 29, 2021, 07:11:18 AM
On 9 September, the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra will livestream its opening night concert, with pianist Yuja Wang and conductor Santtu-Matias Rouvali. Concert appears to be free, at the link below.

Nielsen: Saga-Drøm
Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
Sibelius Symphony No 3

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Santtu-Matias Rouvali, conductor
Yuja Wang, piano

https://www.gso.se/en/gsoplay/video/season-opening-yuja-wang/

--Bruce

Nice program. I hope Santtu-Matias Rouvali finishes his Sibelius cycle, but I'd love to hear a Nielsen cycle from him as well.

bhodges

On Friday, this livestream (and it's free):

Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Susanna Mälkki, conductor
Claire Chase, flute
Esperanza Spalding, vocals

Dvořák: Slavonic Dances, Op. 46
Felipe Lara: Double Concerto (2021, world premiere)

https://helsinginkaupunginorkesteri.fi/en/concerts/spalding-chase

--Bruce

bhodges

And on Saturday, thanks to the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall, this one. It's not free, but you can get a 7-day pass for a pittance (and cheaper than a flight to Berlin).

Berlin Philharmonic
Jakub Hrůša, conductor
Andrew Watts, countertenor
Tölzer Knabenchor

Olga Neuwirth: Keyframes for a Hippogriff − Musical Calligrams in memoriam Hester Diamond (world premiere)
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/53773

--Bruce

VonStupp

In two weeks, I'm going to decide if I will attend one of these concerts live or not, depending how I am feeling about being squeezed in among a crowd. In normal times, I would be be-bopping all over the Heartland to see these performances regardless.

Masks are required, as is proof of vaccination, but I am not seeing any social distancing measures being taken. Chicago is purposefully shortening their programs to 90 minutes with no intermission.

I am not wild about streaming, but I will continue to support regional live music, especially if I am not going to be there in person, yet wish to in the future. Subscriptions transfer nicely, if needed.

I have never minded the difference between a regional orchestra over a professional one, nor the travel time involved, but rather, I like to hear less familiar music live, if I can. This year might be different, and there is a lot of Beethoven being programmed.

Chevalier de Saint-Georges: L'Amant Anonyme Overture
Florence Price: Andante moderato, arr. for string orch. from mvt. 2 of String Quartet 1 in G
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 'Eroica'
Chicago SO - Riccardo Muti

John Corigliano: Promenade Overture
Florence Price: Piano Concerto in One Movement
Beethoven: Egmont Overture
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
Awadagin Pratt - piano
Des Moines SO
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SimonNZ

Learned just in time that next weekend Haydn's Oxford Symphony and Mass In A Time Of War are being performed in a church just a few blocks down the road from me.

André

Quote from: VonStupp on September 11, 2021, 01:48:12 PM
In two weeks, I'm going to decide if I will attend one of these concerts live or not, depending how I am feeling about being squeezed in among a crowd. In normal times, I would be be-bopping all over the Heartland to see these performances regardless.

Masks are required, as is proof of vaccination, but I am not seeing any social distancing measures being taken. Chicago is purposefully shortening their programs to 90 minutes with no intermission.

I am not wild about streaming, but I will continue to support regional live music, especially if I am not going to be there in person, yet wish to in the future. Subscriptions transfer nicely, if needed.

I have never minded the difference between a regional orchestra over a professional one, nor the travel time involved, but rather, I like to hear less familiar music live, if I can. This year might be different, and there is a lot of Beethoven being programmed.

Chevalier de Saint-Georges: L'Amant Anonyme Overture
Florence Price: Andante moderato, arr. for string orch. from mvt. 2 of String Quartet 1 in G
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 'Eroica'
Chicago SO - Riccardo Muti

John Corigliano: Promenade Overture
Florence Price: Piano Concerto in One Movement
Beethoven: Egmont Overture
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
Awadagin Pratt - piano
Des Moines SO

Florence Price's stock is on the rise ! Yannick Nézet-Séguin will be conducting her 1st symphony next month (with Hélène Grimaud playing the Ravel G major concerto). Not sure I'll attend, but I'm intrigued as I have never heard a note of her music.

VonStupp

Quote from: André on September 11, 2021, 04:27:08 PM
Florence Price's stock is on the rise ! Yannick Nézet-Séguin will be conducting her 1st symphony next month (with Hélène Grimaud playing the Ravel G major concerto). Not sure I'll attend, but I'm intrigued as I have never heard a note of her music.

I may not attend either. I am not wild about these early opening programs so far, but it is interesting to see so much of Price, for sure.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

bhodges

On Saturday, the U.S. premiere of Olga Neuwirth's 2017 score for Die Stadt ohne Juden (1924), performed by the Talea Ensemble along with a screening of the film.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olga-neuwirth-die-stadt-ohne-juden-us-premiere-tickets-167877607443

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Going to Nashville Symphony's opening weekend concert series tonight. For the first half of the season they are scaling back the programs as they ease back into full form. All of the shows from January and on will feature full-orchestra works with visiting soloists.
Tonight's program...

Nashville Symphony | Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor

Copland – Fanfare for the Common Man
Joan Tower – Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
Dvořák – Serenade in D Minor for Winds
Jessie Montgomery – Strum
Schubert – Symphony in B Minor, "Unfinished"

I have seven more concerts with my subscription for this season but I'll post them later as I get closer to those dates.

Brian

With regret I decided not to subscribe to the Dallas Symphony this year, for the first time since 2015. The programming is very much focused on getting all the conservative old people to come back and spend money. I looked at this weekend's opening program - Copland Organ Symphony!!!!! Converse Mystic Trumpeter! - but the second half is Brahms 1, reviews say Fabio is especially slow and dull in that symphony (which I already find dull), and tickets are $130 even in the top balcony.  :(

The programming this year includes many, many works which they played in 2018-19, immediately before covid.

vers la flamme

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2021, 06:33:39 AM
Going to Nashville Symphony's opening weekend concert series tonight. For the first half of the season they are scaling back the programs as they ease back into full form. All of the shows from January and on will feature full-orchestra works with visiting soloists.
Tonight's program...

Nashville Symphony | Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor

Copland – Fanfare for the Common Man
Joan Tower – Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
Dvořák – Serenade in D Minor for Winds
Jessie Montgomery – Strum
Schubert – Symphony in B Minor, "Unfinished"

I have seven more concerts with my subscription for this season but I'll post them later as I get closer to those dates.

Nice program! I'd love to see the Schubert Unfinished.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on September 18, 2021, 08:01:05 AM
With regret I decided not to subscribe to the Dallas Symphony this year, for the first time since 2015. The programming is very much focused on getting all the conservative old people to come back and spend money. I looked at this weekend's opening program - Copland Organ Symphony!!!!! Converse Mystic Trumpeter! - but the second half is Brahms 1, reviews say Fabio is especially slow and dull in that symphony (which I already find dull), and tickets are $130 even in the top balcony.  :(

The programming this year includes many, many works which they played in 2018-19, immediately before covid.

Just looked at the DSO schedule and I can see your point, LvB 9th, New World Sympony, symphonie fantastique, Brahms 1st. I guess sticking with the popular classics will be a trend this year with orchestras. Although seeing Strauss' Domestica on their calendar was a surprise.