What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Daniil Trifonov April 28th in SF.

PROKOFIEV: Sarcasms, Op. 17
SZYMANOWSKI: Piano Sonata No. 3, Op. 36
DEBUSSY:   Pour le piano
BRAHMS:   Piano Sonata No. 3 in F minor, Op. 5

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2021, 06:33:39 AM
Going to Nashville Symphony's opening weekend concert series tonight. For the first half of the season they are scaling back the programs as they ease back into full form. All of the shows from January and on will feature full-orchestra works with visiting soloists.
Tonight's program...

Nashville Symphony | Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor

Copland – Fanfare for the Common Man
Joan Tower – Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
Dvořák – Serenade in D Minor for Winds
Jessie Montgomery – Strum
Schubert – Symphony in B Minor, "Unfinished"

I have seven more concerts with my subscription for this season but I'll post them later as I get closer to those dates.

Gosh, that title of the Tower work is just stupid. Not that I'm onboard with the Copland title either. But certainly she could've come up with something that didn't involve wordplay. A rather John Adams move on her part (and here I'm thinking about his Chamber Symphony and then Son of Chamber Symphony or his Scheherazade.2).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 18, 2021, 06:33:39 AM
Going to Nashville Symphony's opening weekend concert series tonight. For the first half of the season they are scaling back the programs as they ease back into full form. All of the shows from January and on will feature full-orchestra works with visiting soloists.
Tonight's program...

Nashville Symphony | Giancarlo Guerrero, conductor

Copland – Fanfare for the Common Man
Joan Tower – Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
Dvořák – Serenade in D Minor for Winds
Jessie Montgomery – Strum
Schubert – Symphony in B Minor, "Unfinished"

I have seven more concerts with my subscription for this season but I'll post them later as I get closer to those dates.

This was a great concert, and the programming had more context than I originally knew. The idea was to begin to piece the orchestra back together after being gone for 18 months. It started with works for the brass, then winds, strings and finally the full orchestra with Schubert's symphony. The concert was only around 80-90 mins long with Guerrero speaking in between the works while the musicians were resetting. It was very intimate, and honestly was very effective.
The Schubert was the highlight, which didn't surprise me, I've always found the opening movement to be some of the best music in all of classical music. The movement was extremely broad in tempi, and incredibly dynamic as the brass and timpani did not hold back.

VonStupp

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 19, 2021, 08:01:06 AM
This was a great concert, and the programming had more context than I originally knew. The idea was to begin to piece the orchestra back together after being gone for 18 months. It started with works for the brass, then winds, strings and finally the full orchestra with Schubert's symphony. The concert was only around 80-90 mins long with Guerrero speaking in between the works while the musicians were resetting. It was very intimate, and honestly was very effective.
The Schubert was the highlight, which didn't surprise me, I've always found the opening movement to be some of the best music in all of classical music. The movement was extremely broad in tempi, and incredibly dynamic as the brass and timpani did not hold back.

Great to hear! Guerrero is supposed to be coming up to Chicago in November to lead Piazzolla's Bandoneón Concerto. It will be interesting to hear, if I am able to attend.

On the downside, Tilson-Thomas was supposed to be visiting in October for a couple dates, but understandably dropped out due to his surgery.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

This is rather expected/unexpected news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/arts/music/jaap-van-zweden-new-york-philharmonic.html

The musical world is without a doubt taking a beating right now and I cannot help but think that there might be more conductors resigning from their posts in the near future.

Hans Holbein

My last concert was a set by Helene S. M. and a quadrophonic playback of Xenakis' La Legende d'Eer at Deep Blue in Vancouver. March 12, 2020.

My next concert will be Andreas Staier giving the first recital on Early Music Vancouver's newly purchased fortepiano. Schubert D960 + some Haydn and Mozart. October 20, 2021.

587 days without live music, and I am certainly looking forward to it!

Brian

The gut reaction with NYPO is always to assume drama or musicians' rebellion, but with Jaap quitting his job in Hong Kong too, I really wonder if he has reconsidered his life/priorities and wants to go into semi-retirement and chill at home. It's a decision that I'd completely respect.

Wanderer

Quote from: Wanderer on August 22, 2021, 11:02:26 PM
Evgeny Kissin
Friday 24.09.2021
Johann Sebastian Bach / Karl Tausig: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Adagio in b minor, K.540
Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Sonata no 31 in A flat major, opus 110
Frédéric Chopin: 7 Mazurkas (opus 7 no 1, opus 24 no 1 & 2, opus 30 no 1 & 2, opus 33 no 3 & 4)
Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise Brillante Op.22

This was a spectacularly good recital. First of all, what a great feeling to be at the Megaron concert hall again, a favourite venue with superb acoustics. Kissin was excellent in Beethoven's penultimate sonata (a work that I love dearly and regarding which I find it is very hard for performers to achieve the transcendent quality that the finale demands) and truly splendid in Chopin. The transition from the last chords of Beethoven's Op. 110 to Chopin's Op. 7/1 Mazurka felt a little jarring, but the felicities that followed made us soon forget about it. If anything, Kissin's light touch, kaleidoscopic colours and thoughtful phrasing made me again appreciate what beautiful works the Mazurkas really are (I almost never listen to them at home). He managed to elicit something transcendent in them, a fact which was surely felt by the audience, rapturously listening to them one after the other without in-between applause. A superb Andante spianato and a joyous, euphorically transcendental Grande Polonaise Brillante closed the program - several encores followed. It was a superb recital and the first time in ages I really enjoyed Chopin played live. Only vaccinated people were allowed to attend and I also noticed that, as in all concerts I've been to during the pandemic, the audience was utterly cough-free.

Yesterday, I attended Marina Abramovich's Seven Deaths of Maria Callas at the Greek National Opera. Narrowly missing a retrospective exhibition of her work a couple of years ago at Palazzo Strozzi in Florence, I wanted to see this more out of curiosity for the concept than for anything else. The first part, seven arias performed by seven different singers - what a treat to have several favourite Greek sopranos participate in this avant-garde recital - while Abramovich lies on a (death)bed onstage and seven short films (starring Abramovich and Willem Dafoe) are cinematically projected to accompany the music, was, I found, very successful and moving. It also gave us an impressive glimpse of how a truly avant-garde opera production would use film as a truly integral part of the concept. The (much shorter) second part, acted by Abramovich herself, was more slow-going and felt lugubrious (perhaps by design) - the final image of her wearing an impossibly sparkly golden diva dress while Maria Callas herself is heard singing was appropriately powerful.

Today, on with Khatia Buniatishvili and more Chopin. 😎

VonStupp

I decided to bypass Chicago earlier this week and ventured to the Minnesota Orchestra. I didn't want another Beethoven, all my choices were his symphonies this week, but I've never seen Joshua Bell live, and thought it was my chance. VS

Star-Spangled Banner, arr. Stanislaw Skrowaczewski
Kalevi Aho: Minea
Max Bruch: Scottish Fantasy
Jessie Montgomery: Banner
Beethoven: Sym  5

Joshua Bell, violin
Minnesota Orchestra - Osmo Vänskä

Quote from: VonStupp on September 11, 2021, 01:48:12 PM
Chevalier de Saint-Georges: L'Amant Anonyme Overture
Florence Price: Andante moderato, arr. for string orch. from mvt. 2 of String Quartet 1 in G
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 'Eroica'
Chicago SO - Riccardo Muti

John Corigliano: Promenade Overture
Florence Price: Piano Concerto in One Movement
Beethoven: Egmont Overture
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5
Awadagin Pratt - piano
Des Moines SO

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: VonStupp on September 19, 2021, 10:48:05 AM
Great to hear! Guerrero is supposed to be coming up to Chicago in November to lead Piazzolla's Bandoneón Concerto. It will be interesting to hear, if I am able to attend.

VS

That's a really cool piece, VS, and rare to see programmed so I'd jump on that. I see Guerrero is also doing LvB's 1st symphony there with the CSO which he's conducting with Nashville S.O. in October, I was thinking of attending that because it also features Poulenc's Organ Concerto, which I've never seen live before.

The new erato

bhodges

Tonight at 7:30 pm (EDT), the New Juilliard Ensemble conducted by Joel Sachs, in (I think) its first-ever livestream, with four world premieres. Free to watch, at the link below. Program:

Joel Sachs, Conductor
New Juilliard Ensemble

Will STACKPOLE Unbeing (for a time) (2020-21)
Marianna Gailus, Narrator

Xiaogang YE Strophe, Op. 26b

Evan ANDERSON a gust inside the god. A wind (2020, rev. 2021)

Marc MIGO Four Songs in Red (2020) 
Maggie Reneé, Mezzo-Soprano

https://www.juilliard.edu/event/150481/new-juilliard-ensemble

--Bruce

VonStupp

Lots of concerts in my area this weekend. I have never heard Samuel Barber's Piano Concerto in person, and Garrick Ohlsson is coming to play it, so I will probably head there.

Otherwise, this years' Milwaukee SO season is looking to be the most innovative around me, an ensemble I fell in love with when Zdeněk Mácal was leading.

Valerie Coleman: Umoja
Kaija Saariaho: Aile du songe
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet selections
Minnesota Orch. - Osmo Vänskä

Brahms: Violin Concerto
Beethoven: Sym. 7
Leonidas Kavakos, violin

Eric Nathan: Opening
James B. Wilson: Green Fuse
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
Ellington: New World A-Comin'
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite
Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

Dudley Buck: Festival Overture
Barber: Piano Concerto
Dvorak: Sym. 9
Garrick Ohlsson, piano
QCSO

bhodges

Quote from: VonStupp on September 30, 2021, 02:11:50 PM
Lots of concerts in my area this weekend. I have never heard Samuel Barber's Piano Concerto in person, and Garrick Ohlsson is coming to play it, so I will probably head there.

Otherwise, this years' Milwaukee SO season is looking to be the most innovative around me, an ensemble I fell in love with when Zdeněk Mácal was leading.

Valerie Coleman: Umoja
Kaija Saariaho: Aile du songe
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet selections
Minnesota Orch. - Osmo Vänskä

Brahms: Violin Concerto
Beethoven: Sym. 7
Leonidas Kavakos, violin

Eric Nathan: Opening
James B. Wilson: Green Fuse
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
Ellington: New World A-Comin'
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite
Milwaukee SO - Ken-David Masur

Dudley Buck: Festival Overture
Barber: Piano Concerto
Dvorak: Sym. 9
Garrick Ohlsson, piano
QCSO

What a great array! And yes, hearing the Barber Piano Concerto live with Ohlsson would be a great evening in my book. PS, I see what you mean about Milwaukee, very impressive. A fine example, coming in mid-October:

Ken-David Masur, conductor
Frank Almond, violin

ANNA THORVALDSDOTTIR
Aeriality

BRUCH
Violin Concerto No. 1

RACHMANINOFF
Symphonic Dances

--Bruce

VonStupp

Quote from: Brewski on September 30, 2021, 02:43:07 PM
What a great array! And yes, hearing the Barber Piano Concerto live with Ohlsson would be a great evening in my book. PS, I see what you mean about Milwaukee, very impressive. A fine example, coming in mid-October:

Ken-David Masur, conductor
Frank Almond, violin

ANNA THORVALDSDOTTIR
Aeriality

BRUCH
Violin Concerto No. 1

RACHMANINOFF
Symphonic Dances

--Bruce

Yes, in a year where I am seeing a lot of Beethoven, finding rarer items like William Bolcom's Violin Concerto in Milwaukee makes me more enthusiastic to get out and about.

VS

bhodges

Quote from: VonStupp on September 30, 2021, 02:55:08 PM
Yes, in a year where I am seeing a lot of Beethoven, finding rarer items like William Bolcom's Violin Concerto in Milwaukee makes me more enthusiastic to get out and about.

VS

Yes, yes, yes.

When the big Beethoven birthday appeared on the horizon, and all the commensurate programming, part of me heaved a sigh, only because it's not as if his music is never played. And I love many of his works. Next week hearing the Fifth Symphony live with Yannick and Philadelphia, and reflecting on why we should hear it live now and then.

But that Bolcom (which I've never heard) sounds really appealing.

--Bruce

VonStupp

Quote from: Brewski on September 30, 2021, 03:19:24 PM
Yes, yes, yes.

When the big Beethoven birthday appeared on the horizon, and all the commensurate programming, part of me heaved a sigh, only because it's not as if his music is never played. And I love many of his works. Next week hearing the Fifth Symphony live with Yannick and Philadelphia, and reflecting on why we should hear it live now and then.

But that Bolcom (which I've never heard) sounds really appealing.

--Bruce

Enjoy the 5th! I feel bad bashing live-concert Beethoven, and maybe I shouldn't. It is just that I have heard it so many times, but yet I know it is important to get posteriors into seats right now. I suppose if I want these ensembles to continue, I should not complain... :-[

VS

bhodges

Quote from: VonStupp on September 30, 2021, 03:42:28 PM
Enjoy the 5th! I feel bad bashing live-concert Beethoven, and maybe I shouldn't. It is just that I have heard it so many times, but yet I know it is important to get posteriors into seats right now. I suppose if I want these ensembles to continue, I should not complain... :-[

VS

*chuckling* Please don't feel bad. You're not the only one slightly fatigued by over-familiar repertoire, and you are right: After such a long dry spell, many institutions are playing it a bit safe, at least for now. And Beethoven isn't popular for no reason! I grew up with the Bernstein/NYPO Fifth, and as a teenager, played that recording to death. But of course, decades later, I have more appreciation for many other composers who are deemed less "safe."

--Bruce

bhodges

Tomorrow night's Carnegie Hall opening will be livestreamed, free, on the hall's YouTube channel and Facebook page. Program:

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Music Director and Conductor
Yuja Wang, Piano

VALERIE COLEMAN Seven O'Clock Shout
SHOSTAKOVICH Piano Concerto No. 2
BERNSTEIN Overture to Candide
IMAN HABIBI Jeder Baum spricht
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 5

https://www.youtube.com/carnegiehall

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on October 05, 2021, 08:34:53 AM
Tomorrow night's Carnegie Hall opening will be livestreamed, free, on the hall's YouTube channel and Facebook page. Program:

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Music Director and Conductor
Yuja Wang, Piano

VALERIE COLEMAN Seven O'Clock Shout
SHOSTAKOVICH Piano Concerto No. 2
BERNSTEIN Overture to Candide
IMAN HABIBI Jeder Baum spricht
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 5

https://www.youtube.com/carnegiehall

--Bruce

Even including the insufferably recorded LvB's 5th (which I love to bits), I would be pleased so much by attendinga concert like this. Don't know the Coleman and Habibi yet, but the others are guaranteed good fun.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky