What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 06, 2021, 03:54:47 PM
I'm on Vashon Island (in the middle of Puget Sound, south of Seattle) for the weekend, to see an old college friend perform in Cavalleria Rusticana at the Vashon Opera, a small local company.

https://www.vashonopera.org/seasons/2021-2022-season/cavalleria-rusticana
https://www.limmiepulliam.com/

I tutored Limmie in music theory, thus his connection to little old me. What an amazing voice...
How was the opera?  And hope that you were able to catch up with your former student?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Judith

First orchestral concert in two years last weekend.

Local orchestra "Sinfonia of Leeds".

Walton arr. Mathieson - Suite 'Henry V'
Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem
Schumann - Piano Concerto

Soloist Danny Driver
Conductor David Greed

Wonderful to be back

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Judith on November 16, 2021, 10:43:47 PM
First orchestral concert in two years last weekend.

Local orchestra "Sinfonia of Leeds".

Walton arr. Mathieson - Suite 'Henry V'
Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem
Schumann - Piano Concerto

Soloist Danny Driver
Conductor David Greed

Wonderful to be back
Yeah!  Very happy for you!  Were there many people in attendance?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I've been invited to hear Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio' (all 90 minutes of it) in London on 4th December.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on November 17, 2021, 10:09:18 AM
I've been invited to hear Sir James MacMillan's 'Christmas Oratorio' (all 90 minutes of it) in London on 4th December.

Fantastic! As a big fan of MacMillan, I would love to hear your impressions.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Hopefully, you'll get a chance to chat with him.

Pohjolas Daughter

Cool!

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 17, 2021, 12:10:28 PM
But is he conducting it?  Haven't checked out the concert.

May I ask who invited you Jeffrey?  Just curious.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 17, 2021, 12:10:28 PM
I doubt it John but if he comes to the school where I work to hear his 5 minute commissioned piece that might be different.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 17, 2021, 12:34:38 PM
Cool!
But is he conducting it?  Haven't checked out the concert.

May I ask who invited you Jeffrey?  Just curious.  :)

PD
It's Sir Mark Elder conducting PD and it's the UK premiere of the work. The Head of Music at the school (who tragically lost his 28 year old wife a few months ago) invited me. He introduced me to MacMillan's 4th Symphony which I rate very highly.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 11, 2021, 04:54:38 AM
How was the opera?  And hope that you were able to catch up with your former student?

PD

It was as good as I expected - Limmie and the female lead (Santuzza) were both outstanding; between them, the sheer vocal power was off the charts! The supporting cast was strong too. Unfortunately Limmie was flying out of Seattle Sunday night (he had a performance in Kansas City on Monday!), so he had to catch a ferry right after the performance. So I didn't get to see him this time, but he told me he wants to catch up the next time he's in the area.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 17, 2021, 12:57:31 PM
I doubt it John but if he comes to the school where I work to hear his 5 minute commissioned piece that might be different.

A good point, Jeffrey.

VonStupp

Haven't been able to get out as much, but this month I did get to hear two of the more interesting programs available this season so far:

Adolphus Hailstork: An American Port of Call
William Schuman: New England Tryptich
Carlos Simon: Fate Now Conquers
William Grant Still: Symphony 1 in A-flat 'Afro-American'

Civic Orchestra of Chicago - Thomas Wilkins

and this week -

Buxtehude: Chaconne in E minor (arr. Carlos Chávez)
Piazolla: Aconcagua Concerto for Bandoneón
Beethoven: Symphony 1

Daniel Binelli
CSO - Giancarlo Guerrero

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on November 17, 2021, 10:24:22 AM
Fantastic! As a big fan of MacMillan, I would love to hear your impressions.

--Bruce
Of course, I'll report back Bruce.

Judith

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 17, 2021, 04:46:04 AM
Yeah!  Very happy for you!  Were there many people in attendance?

PD

Were quite a lot of people,  but very COVID safe. Everyone wore masks and no interval!

Judith

Another local orchestra yesterday
Airedale Symphony Orchestra

Performing a wonderful

Humperdick  Hansel & Gretel
Sibelius  Violin Concerto
Beethoven  Symphony no 7

Soloist  Andy Long
Conductor  John Anderson

bhodges

Quote from: ultralinear on November 26, 2021, 01:57:01 AM
Thanks to today's strike on the London Underground, I've had to return my tickets for this  >:(

Beethoven Violin Concerto
Dora Pejačević Symphony in F-sharp minor

BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo conductor
Vilde Frang violin

BBC radio will be broadcasting the concert live so it is not a total loss, but it is disappointing nonetheless.  We were only just getting back into the swing of concert-going. :(

What a shame. (Especially to hear an unfamiliar composer live, too.) I may seek out the broadcast, so thanks for mentioning.

--Bruce

bhodges

Comprising 14 concerts performed in 92Y's historic Kaufmann Concert Hall, the fall season includes two appearances by world-renowned pianist Richard Goode; an all-Rossini program from tenors Lawrence Brownlee and Michael Spyres; the first performance by The Knights as 92Y's inaugural Ensemble in Residence; the 92Y debuts of rising star violinist Randall Goosby, intrepid cellist Seth Parker Woods, and the Grammy Award-nominated Aizuri Quartet; guitarist Ana Vidovic; MacArthur "Genius" Award winner and pianist Jeremy Denk, and others, performing a diverse group of repertoire which includes works of Eleanor Alberga, Johann Sebastian Bach, Joseph Boulogne, Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Jessie Montgomery, César Franck, Florence Price, Louis Moreau Gottschalk, and more.

UPDATE: Randall Goosby's concert on 9 December is (alas) in-person only.

THE KNIGHTS
ERIC JACOBSEN, conductor
COLIN JACOBSEN, violin
Saturday, December 11, 2021, 8 PM
Jessie Montgomery: Records from a Vanishing City
Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B Minor, D. 759 "Unfinished"
Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending
Gottschalk: Symphony No. 2 "À Montevideo"

MARC-ANDRÉ HAMELIN, piano
Sunday, December 12, 2021, 3 PM 
C.P.E. Bach: Suite in E Minor, Wq. 6/12 
G. Catoire: Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12 
Beethoven: Sonata No. 29 in B-flat Major, Op. 106 "Hammerklavier" 

CONRAD TAO, piano
Saturday, December 18, 2021, 8 PM 
Conrad Tao: Improvisation
John Adams: China Gates
Jason Eckardt: Antennaria plantaginifolia, "Pussytoes," (from A Compendium of Catskill Native Botanicals, Book 2)
J.S. Bach: Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein, BWV 641
Conrad Tao: Grids of E
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15
Fred Hersch: Pastorale (Dedicated to Robert Schumann)
Conrad Tao: Premiere of KEYED IN
Beethoven: Piano Sonata in A-flat Major, Op. 110

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on November 26, 2021, 01:57:01 AM
Thanks to today's strike on the London Underground, I've had to return my tickets for this  >:(

Beethoven Violin Concerto
Dora Pejačević Symphony in F-sharp minor

BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo conductor
Vilde Frang violin

BBC radio will be broadcasting the concert live so it is not a total loss, but it is disappointing nonetheless.  We were only just getting back into the swing of concert-going. :(
Sorry I missed reading your posting 'til now; however, even sorrier for you not being able to attend the concert!  Is the strike still on?

Quote from: Brewski on November 29, 2021, 06:33:40 AM
Starting Thursday, 9 December with the excellent violinist Randall Goosby, the 92nd Street Y will be livestreaming concerts, almost all of which look enticing. All concerts will be available for 72 hours afterward.

Comprising 14 concerts performed in 92Y's historic Kaufmann Concert Hall, the fall season includes two appearances by world-renowned pianist Richard Goode; an all-Rossini program from tenors Lawrence Brownlee and Michael Spyres; the first performance by The Knights as 92Y's inaugural Ensemble in Residence; the 92Y debuts of rising star violinist Randall Goosby, intrepid cellist Seth Parker Woods, and the Grammy Award-nominated Aizuri Quartet; guitarist Ana Vidovic; MacArthur "Genius" Award winner and pianist Jeremy Denk, and others, performing a diverse group of repertoire which includes works of Eleanor Alberga, Johann Sebastian Bach, Joseph Boulogne, Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Jessie Montgomery, César Franck, Florence Price, Louis Moreau Gottschalk, and more.

RANDALL GOOSBY, violin
Thursday, December 9, 2021, 8PM
Mozart, Violin Sonata in B-flat Major, K 454
Price, Fantasy No. 1 in G Minor
Price, Fantasy No. 2 in F-sharp Minor
Price, Adoration
Franck, Violin Sonata in A Major

THE KNIGHTS
ERIC JACOBSEN, conductor
COLIN JACOBSEN, violin
Saturday, December 11, 2021, 8 PM
Jessie Montgomery: Records from a Vanishing City
Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B Minor, D. 759 "Unfinished"
Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending
Gottschalk: Symphony No. 2 "À Montevideo"

MARC-ANDRÉ HAMELIN, piano
Sunday, December 12, 2021, 3 PM 
C.P.E. Bach: Suite in E Minor, Wq. 6/12 
G. Catoire: Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12 
Beethoven: Sonata No. 29 in B-flat Major, Op. 106 "Hammerklavier" 

CONRAD TAO, piano
Saturday, December 18, 2021, 8 PM 
Conrad Tao: Improvisation
John Adams: China Gates
Jason Eckardt: Antennaria plantaginifolia, "Pussytoes," (from A Compendium of Catskill Native Botanicals, Book 2)
J.S. Bach: Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein, BWV 641
Conrad Tao: Grids of E
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15
Fred Hersch: Pastorale (Dedicated to Robert Schumann)
Conrad Tao: Premiere of KEYED IN
Beethoven: Piano Sonata in A-flat Major, Op. 110

--Bruce
Cool!  What are they charging for the concerts online?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 07:00:22 AM
Cool!  What are they charging for the concerts online?

PD

Sorry, forgot that part! Concerts are $20. And I spoke too soon: Goosby's concert is in-person only ( :( ), so I've edited the original info.

Hoping the audio and video quality are good, especially since the wood-lined hall is quite good, acoustically. (I think they are relatively new to streaming.)

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 29, 2021, 07:08:34 AM
Sorry, forgot that part! Concerts are $20. And I spoke too soon: Goosby's concert is in-person only ( :( ), so I've edited the original info.

Hoping the audio and video quality are good, especially since the wood-lined hall is quite good, acoustically. (I think they are relatively new to streaming.)

--Bruce
Thanks for the further info!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter